Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #21

Vaneta: "In the process of thinking about a different WDH, I finally decided to "put out" for a Hensley or Propride. I hesitate to put this conversation here because the guy at Hensley I talked to really hesitated on answering me; he did not want to mudsling"

That's good to hear. When I was deciding between the two products I found myself in the middle of a nasty commercial divorce. If your reference to the PP guy being from marketing, not engineering, is Sean,, that just might explain a lot for me.

Obviously, I am an unhappy customer, and I don't pretend to be objective.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #22

cekkk: I just found my notes and I was correct that they were not able to get rid of the wiggle in that prototype so they discarded it.

Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #23

Vaneta: I hadn't heard of the wiggle until now, but I think the design can be helpful to those who need it. Glad it's been improved.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #24

Pretty sure this is the real story. According to this, Jim Hensley never actually worked for Hensley Mfg., but only licensed his design to them. He is now with ProPride. And I do understand there is quite a bit of sniping that takes place from Hensley Mfg towards ProPride.

The Jim Hensley Hitch Story | Hensley Arrow and ProPride 3P Inventor | ProPride, Inc.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #25

I also read up on the Hensley vs. Propride debate and based on what I read, I came to the conclusion that they are both great products but the company presidents used to work together and don't like each other. Once they are hitched up, there probably is no discernible difference once travelling down the road as both will eliminate sway. The Propride has an adjustable stinger and a little less money and the Hensley has been around longer and the paint holds up better. Personally, I have only used the Propride and have nothing but good things to say about it and was very happy with after purchase service.

Next time I hitch up I will take photos and post them. In the interim, if anyone would like photos, PM me with your e-mail address and I can send you pictures of install on an Eagle with the front Propane cover.

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #26

Got my new trailer today.

As for the Propride hitch, here is what I've found out (been working on it for the last 5 hours...)

The weight distribution jacks cannot fit on the new 2016 eagles with clearance to remove the propane tank cover. After a conversation with Sean at Propride, he has suggested an alternate solution: The Straptek Weight tension Technology kit.

This is not currently offered on Propride's website, but I found it on Amazon. Sean said he'd send me a set of them and have me send back the jacks.

The Straptek's look like a really good solution, especially for people with clearance issues. I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compon...words=straptek
Old 10-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #27

By the way... the dealer didn't want to let me tow the trailer home on a standard hitch, so they put it on a standard hitch on their own truck and towed it to my house.

Fine by me. It's in the driveway, cost me nothing extra, and I'm getting down to business with it.

Very pleased overall with my Camping World experience (how often do you hear that?)!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #28

I've now used my Hensley a few times and though I've mostly been on flat surfaces hooking up, I've managed to do it in a few tries. Haven't pulled extensively on interstates but when I did, there was a noticeable difference when tractor trailers blow by. BTW, the placement of the ball receiver being on the bottom of the Jayco Whitehawk frame creates a problem of it's own when you order anything. Hensley had the the other bars, etc needed and asked the type of trailer and immediately knew the "non-standard" ones were needed.
After looking online, I realized that when I switched my Blue Ox from my prior trailer to the WhiteHawk, I should have had the alternate equipment for the Blue Ox. That probably explains some of the issues I had with releasing the tension. The Jayco dealer maintenance guy had never used a Blue Ox so he didn't know, I didn't realize it, and the guy I bought the Blue Ox from who had ordered the bars for me for the heavier trailer didn't know the trailer I was getting was different. Chalk one up for the learning process!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #29

Vaneta - I had the same problem with the Blue OX - I switched to a Jayco WH with that had the under slung coupler. When hitching up I could only get 6 chain links showing and it was very tight. With 6 links showing also results in more lateral movement making the sway control less effective IMHO. I then bought the Blue OX hitch head designed for under slung couplers. It changes the angle at which the spring bars point to ground. I now get proper tension with only 3 chain links showing. Blue Ox recommends 3 links.
jbnimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnimble View Post
Vaneta - I had the same problem with the Blue OX - I switched to a Jayco WH with that had the under slung coupler. When hitching up I could only get 6 chain links showing and it was very tight. With 6 links showing also results in more lateral movement making the sway control less effective IMHO. I then bought the Blue OX hitch head designed for under slung couplers. It changes the angle at which the spring bars point to ground. I now get proper tension with only 3 chain links showing. Blue Ox recommends 3 links.

That was about right for me too. I think I had six showing. Just as an informational item, we should put that info in a different thread about the "under slung coupler" (I like that term as I couldn't come up with how to describe it) I really use the relevant forum as I'm deciding or transitioning and that would have been good info. (And the dealer's set up guy should certainly be giving out that info on trailers they sell so I think an email is in order so some other customer has the info to begin with.)