Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 220
First Timer: Propride hitch with 284BHBE at the dealer?

In about 5 or 6 weeks, I will be picking up my first travel trailer that I ordered through CW.

Having read a bunch of reviews on hitches, I decided to go with the Propride 3P right out of the gate.

Here's my question: All the reviews I've read say it takes anywhere from 3-6 hours to get a 3P hitch installed on the trailer, and it looks like, depending on the trailer, some holes might even need to be drilled to re-position the propane tanks, etc.

Would it be a better idea to borrow a standard WD hitch from someone to bring the trailer to my house, then install the 3P? Or would it be reasonable for me to bring a toolbox out to the dealer and do the installation on their lot?

I'm pretty handy and am not intimidated by the install, just not sure about laboring on the dealers lot for up to 6 hours to get the hitch on?

This is my first trailer (rented one a few years ago), so I'm not really sure about what to expect at the dealer other than having read some PDI checklists, etc.
__________________

__________________
2012 RAM 2500 Megacab Laramie Diesel
2016 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
ProPride 3P WDH
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 85
I did the same when we bought our trailer last year, about 3 hours from home. As part of the deal the dealer agreed to instal the 3P for free when I came to pick it up. It probably took them an hour and a half, and they did a pretty good job. I tweaked it after getting the whole rig home then to dial it in before towing loaded.

Great choice though, it's a fantastic hitch!
__________________

skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Member
 
rgchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jamul
Posts: 93
The first time I installed my 3P it took about 3 hours but that's because of measuring everything twice and re-tightening the bolts 2 or 3 times. Since then I've taken it off a few times and it goes on in less then a half hour. I love the 3P, it's expensive but I absolutely love it. I would never tow with another brand.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Haven, NY
Posts: 807
Something you need to check on right now...the Eagles have the rounded fronts with the propane tanks inside the nose...Will the jacks on the 3P be in the way of the cover/tanks? Will there be enough room for the jacks at all? I would make a trip to your dealer with the 3P and see if they have anEagle on the lot you can measure from/compare to.

Other wise, depending on how far you are hauling the new trailer home, I would plan to haul it with no WDH and do the install at home. You can take your time.
__________________


2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ottawasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 293
Once you get it set up, the Pro-pride works great with the 284BHBE. I had the same concerns and called the dealership no less than 6 times to in the weeks prior to pickup to confirm that they would be able to install the Pro-pride. Unfortunately, they had never installed one before and had never seen one before. The installed it completely wrong, upside down and backwards, didn't use a torque wrench even once and did not know how to use a measuring tape and then charged me $500 for it. It was July 3rd when we arrived for our 8:00 am appointment to pick up the trailer. They were still trying to figure out how it went onto the trailer at 2:00pm and they completed their botched installation at 4:30 and insisted that there was nothing wrong with the installation even though any idiot could see that the jacks were not equal distances from the coupler. Was not impressed and still trying to get my money back for the botched installation.


As they screwed up the measurements for the first pieces installed, I had to remove everything and reinstall once I figured out what they had done wrong and sending pictures to Sean at Propride and he was great in pointing out what was wrong with the setup. It took me longer to figure out what they had done wrong than it did to reinstall. If you PM me an e-mail address, I can send you some pictures of the hitch which is now properly installed on my 284BHBE. The battery tray does interfere with mounting the jacks, but one small hole through it and installs fine. You can’t use the maximum distances for the jacks as the propane tank cover gets in the way, but you can install within the specs set out in the instructions and still carefully remove the propane cover without having to remove the jacks each time.

I think if you received the hitch a week before you pick up the trailer and unwrapped everything and pre-assembled any pieces that you can and have it clear in your mind how the installation will go (you tube videos, pictures etc.) you could easily install it in less than two hours. The only difficult part was getting the stinger portion on the truck set to the correct height as this was done through some trial and error but that is not something that would prevent you from pulling a short distance to test and then adjust. Having the height not quite right just reduces the weight distribution effectiveness. For tools, a set of sockets and wrenches, torque wrench, drill and bits to drill through metal (touch up paint if you are concerned about hitch rust where you drilled). A cordless impact wrench really speeds up adjusting the stinger height as there are 3 large bolts. You might need someone to help help you lift the large portion into coupler as that piece is quite heavy. As I said, PM me with an e-mail address and/or I can send you my Skype handle if you want to discuss further and I could probably even try and show you live video over skype if there is anything else you want to look at with my install.

Happy Camping,
__________________
2015 Eagle 284BHBE

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
cekkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Something you need to check on right now...the Eagles have the rounded fronts with the propane tanks inside the nose...Will the jacks on the 3P be in the way of the cover/tanks? Will there be enough room for the jacks at all? I would make a trip to your dealer with the 3P and see if they have anEagle on the lot you can measure from/compare to.
x2. The front of my Eagle prevented the jacks from getting to the needed level. It was suggested I modify the hitch and use chains. Great. Got $2000 gathering dust in the barn. Perfectly happy with my Equalizer. And service yard cowboys can move the trailer around properly!
__________________
'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Something you need to check on right now...the Eagles have the rounded fronts with the propane tanks inside the nose...Will the jacks on the 3P be in the way of the cover/tanks? Will there be enough room for the jacks at all? I would make a trip to your dealer with the 3P and see if they have anEagle on the lot you can measure from/compare to.

Other wise, depending on how far you are hauling the new trailer home, I would plan to haul it with no WDH and do the install at home. You can take your time.
This is something I was wondering - the dealer's maybe 2 miles from my house, so is it OK to tow it that far with just a standard hitch ball? There are some mild hills and such on the path, but it's all smooth roads with not much traffic.
__________________
2012 RAM 2500 Megacab Laramie Diesel
2016 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
ProPride 3P WDH
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Once you get it set up, the Pro-pride works great with the 284BHBE. I had the same concerns and called the dealership no less than 6 times to in the weeks prior to pickup to confirm that they would be able to install the Pro-pride. Unfortunately, they had never installed one before and had never seen one before. The installed it completely wrong, upside down and backwards, didn't use a torque wrench even once and did not know how to use a measuring tape and then charged me $500 for it. It was July 3rd when we arrived for our 8:00 am appointment to pick up the trailer. They were still trying to figure out how it went onto the trailer at 2:00pm and they completed their botched installation at 4:30 and insisted that there was nothing wrong with the installation even though any idiot could see that the jacks were not equal distances from the coupler. Was not impressed and still trying to get my money back for the botched installation.


As they screwed up the measurements for the first pieces installed, I had to remove everything and reinstall once I figured out what they had done wrong and sending pictures to Sean at Propride and he was great in pointing out what was wrong with the setup. It took me longer to figure out what they had done wrong than it did to reinstall. If you PM me an e-mail address, I can send you some pictures of the hitch which is now properly installed on my 284BHBE. The battery tray does interfere with mounting the jacks, but one small hole through it and installs fine. You canít use the maximum distances for the jacks as the propane tank cover gets in the way, but you can install within the specs set out in the instructions and still carefully remove the propane cover without having to remove the jacks each time.

I think if you received the hitch a week before you pick up the trailer and unwrapped everything and pre-assembled any pieces that you can and have it clear in your mind how the installation will go (you tube videos, pictures etc.) you could easily install it in less than two hours. The only difficult part was getting the stinger portion on the truck set to the correct height as this was done through some trial and error but that is not something that would prevent you from pulling a short distance to test and then adjust. Having the height not quite right just reduces the weight distribution effectiveness. For tools, a set of sockets and wrenches, torque wrench, drill and bits to drill through metal (touch up paint if you are concerned about hitch rust where you drilled). A cordless impact wrench really speeds up adjusting the stinger height as there are 3 large bolts. You might need someone to help help you lift the large portion into coupler as that piece is quite heavy. As I said, PM me with an e-mail address and/or I can send you my Skype handle if you want to discuss further and I could probably even try and show you live video over skype if there is anything else you want to look at with my install.

Happy Camping,
You are a gem. Thanks so much! Sent a PM.
__________________
2012 RAM 2500 Megacab Laramie Diesel
2016 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
ProPride 3P WDH
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ottawasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
x2. The front of my Eagle prevented the jacks from getting to the needed level. It was suggested I modify the hitch and use chains. Great. Got $2000 gathering dust in the barn. Perfectly happy with my Equalizer. And service yard cowboys can move the trailer around properly!

cekk, not sure whether your model has less room on the A-Frame but by drilling one small hole through the battery support on mine, although it is tight there is room to remove and reinstall the battery cover. I agree the one downside is you can't move the trailer without the stinger portion of the Propride hitch. as the hitch stays inserted in the couple on the trailer. With a one ton dually truck you probably have less concern with sway, but I would be interested in hearing your impressions/comparison if you installed your Propride hitch that is gathering dust.

Happy camping,
__________________
2015 Eagle 284BHBE

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
This is something I was wondering - the dealer's maybe 2 miles from my house, so is it OK to tow it that far with just a standard hitch ball? There are some mild hills and such on the path, but it's all smooth roads with not much traffic.
Without a load of gear in it, your trailer will likely be good on weight on your TV, go for it. The important thing is electric trailer brake IMHO. I drove mine home about 30 miles w/o WDH or even any trailer brake as I didn't own one. Wasn't the smartest thing but I used it a few times before getting a brake controller installed (!) just drove pretty conservatively and my TV has excellent brakes. And I've used it for about a year now and just got a WDH, so they are nice for best performance, but you're making too big of a deal about it for a short drive.

You'll be enjoying that rig soon. Lots of good info here, I'm still newer and reading stuff.
__________________

__________________
New to me 27BH towed by 4.6 Tundra
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.