Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #1

First timers

We just purchased a 2016 23RB Elite and need a few questions answered.
1. What is best? Standard 12 volt batteries or 6 volt and why.
2. We live close to Yellowstone Park and are not ready to store the trailer for the winter. The night time low temperature is getting in the high 30's. We will be parking it in the driveway for a few weeks. Should I put anti-freeze in the "p" traps or keep it plugged in to 30 amp household power and keep the furnace on at the lowest temperature setting?
felshurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

What is best? That is somewhat loaded, and is almost like asking which is better, dodge, chevy, or ford...
For my two cents, two 6 volt deep cell batteries wired in series most times tend to have better amp hours and charge, discharge, recharge, low power run rates. Yet, a high quality (Gel pack or AGM) 12 volt deep cycle will work great. It all depends on what you do with your rig. Do you boondock or camp at no hook up RV parks a lot? How long is your average stay?
I boondock a lot (if not most of the time). I rarely camp anywhere with 'hook-ups'. I have run with 6 volts in a couple of my previous rigs. In my current rig I have two 12 volts, then again, I also have solar, and a generator.

As for your second question, if the temperature is not going below freezing during the night, there is no need to put RV anti freeze in the P traps. Also, there is no need to run the heater at a low setting at night. However, regardless of the temperature, it is a always good to have the unit plugged in to 30 amp household when you have it at home (especially if that is also where you store it).
There are all kinds of tips and tricks to cold weather camping. I have been known to run out on Caribou hunts in December in areas where the daily high temperature is 2 below zero and the nights will be in the teens below zero.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #3

First question to ask how much off grid time are you planning? 2 6v golf cart batteries are better. But do you need them? We have a single battery on board, and I carry a second if we are going to be out for a long weekend. Works for us, but maybe not right for others.

Antifreeze, if it is only getting a little below freezing at night, but plenty warm during the day you should be fine with no antifreeze. When it starts to get cold and I still want to go out, I use compressed air and blowout the waterlines. I typically only fully winterize when we put the htt away for the winter. I also float a little mineral oil on top of the traps and toilet, to keep it from evaporating.

Electric, plug it in while at home, or use a battery disconnect. There are lots of parasite drains on the battery.

Happy Travels

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

Welcome aboard, I agree with all the comments on your questions
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote