Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Question First Trip

Hello. Just purchased a jayco 24rl. A test before the winter. Most went well except 2 things. 1. Connected the sewer line water and electric. Closed the grey and black water. Used the rig for one day. No shower yet washed some dishes and used the bathroom a little. Left the camp and when we came back the toilet overflowed and water everywhere. No way we could have used enough water to fill our tanks. Some say to leave my grey and black open so this never happens. 2. Can not get the refrigerator to work. Either on electric or gas. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
PMinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #2

First off, do you have any life in your refrigerator? Lights on the panel or anything? Check your breaker. Try cycling it, look for a reset.

I’m not familiar with your model, but your grey water has to be flowing into your black tank for that to happen. Make sure all valves are closed. Do you have a sanicon? Somehow water is filling your black tank. Usually the toilet doesn’t overflow, it comes out on your roof cause the toilet is closed and it goes up the breather. Sorry this isn’t much help, give us some more information.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

It might be a stretch, but was the incoming water hooked up to the black tank flush connector instead of the city water connector, and you were actually running off of your water tank, instead of city water?

Or, maybe the water flush on the toilet (or pedal got stuck), which allowed it to continually run.

These are the only two ways water gets into the black tank, as far as I know.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #4

It’s a jay feather made my jayco. Fridge light inside is on. Auto light on top of fridge is on. Tried auto and also gas only reset breaker Turned propane off and on again 30 amp power plugged in the campsite.

The grey and black water valves were closed. Campsite water was turned on. No water was running in the camper. We had turned everything off. Will call camping world tomorrow to see what they say. I am getting mixed options Some people say keep Greg and black closed and others say to leave them open.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #5

The water is connected correctly. I just checked. I opened with grey and black for now. Afraid of it happening again
Old 11-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #6

For the fridge, it takes at least 3 times for the fridge to lite for me on propane after the propane has been turned off. The fridge will give you a clicking sound when trying to light again, it takes a bit to get gas back in the line, it’s trying to light, a blinking check light will turn on when it fails to ignite. turn it off, wait a few seconds and try again. Turn the fridge to gas rather than auto to see if that helps.

For your black tank issue, you have to have water flowing in there from somewhere. The only thing that feeds it is the toilet and the black tank flush. Your flush is a direct line to the tank. I suspect a previous post suggestion, something is flowing from your toilet into the tank

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 11-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #7

A stretch....but if you are on city water, turn off your water pump switch both inside and outside, you should have one in your dock station also. The only thing else I can tell you is listen, you should hear water flow and be able to trace it down.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 11-10-2019, 11:35 PM   #8

Sorry to hear you had problems.

On our first trip in our 248rsbw on the third morning water was pouring out from the bottom rear of the trailer.
Has a leak in the city water line.

In the shop now should find out in 2 weeks.

Our fridge works but takes hours to get cold.

This is a new 2019.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
For the fridge, it takes at least 3 times for the fridge to lite for me on propane after the propane has been turned off. The fridge will give you a clicking sound when trying to light again, it takes a bit to get gas back in the line, it’s trying to light, a blinking check light will turn on when it fails to ignite. turn it off, wait a few seconds and try again. Turn the fridge to gas rather than auto to see if that helps.

For your black tank issue, you have to have water flowing in there from somewhere. The only thing that feeds it is the toilet and the black tank flush. Your flush is a direct line to the tank. I suspect a previous post suggestion, something is flowing from your toilet into the tank
Thank you. Called dealer and they think something is wrong With the fridge we will take it in for service I tried what you suggested as well . also as far as the toilet they are thinking that maybe the pedal got stuck or some valve is wrong so they think somethings wrong with the toilet as well because I did not have enough water in either my gray or black tanks to overflow.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
Sorry to hear you had problems.

On our first trip in our 248rsbw on the third morning water was pouring out from the bottom rear of the trailer.
Has a leak in the city water line.

In the shop now should find out in 2 weeks.

Our fridge works but takes hours to get cold.

This is a new 2019.
Thank you. Yes I knew to expect at least 12 hours for it to get cold but it’s been two days somethings definitely wrong with it
Old 11-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #11

You should always leave your grey tank open and your black closed until it needs to empty of course.
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #12

Thank you.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMinnick View Post
It’s a jay feather made my jayco. Fridge light inside is on. Auto light on top of fridge is on. Tried auto and also gas only reset breaker Turned propane off and on again 30 amp power plugged in the campsite.

The grey and black water valves were closed. Campsite water was turned on. No water was running in the camper. We had turned everything off. Will call camping world tomorrow to see what they say. I am getting mixed options Some people say keep Greg and black closed and others say to leave them open.
With full hookups keep grey open and black closed. Dump black when it is 2/3 or more full. Never have both grey and black open at the same time.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #14

Personally I keep both tanks closed with full hookups. I dump the grey every 2 days and the black every 4 days. That works well for us and we like our showers. I like having a tank of gray to "wash out the pipes" after a black dump. I don't really want black "residue" in the pipes or hose.

As to fridge. Try putting it on gas. To do this test to make sure your gas lines are clear of air by lighting all your burners. Also helps to turn on the furnace. After doing this have go outside and put your head near the refrigerator panel. Have a friend switch the fridge from off to gas (not auto). Listen. You should hear the ignitor clicking. IF it works you will hear it ignite. If not, turn off, wait a min or so and try again. If after 3 tries and the gas is working properly then it will depend on your diagnostic skills if you want to go further or just take it to the shop...
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #15

On our 2015 195RB, we had a Norcold that was not automatic for propane function. We had to put the selector on gas (looks like a drop) and the other knob on medium. Then, push in the selector and hold it in while pushing the ignitor button. If it lights, the needle will go into the green. Hold the gas knob in for like 10 seconds to get the thermocouple hot.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #16

Yes had water pump switch off. I am starting to think my toilet petal was stuck and water was filling the toilet.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlechmanik View Post
Personally I keep both tanks closed with full hookups. I dump the grey every 2 days and the black every 4 days. That works well for us and we like our showers. I like having a tank of gray to "wash out the pipes" after a black dump. I don't really want black "residue" in the pipes or...
This is what I do, keep everything closed. I have 2 grey tanks. When they get 3/4 full I dump the black tank first. I run the black tank flush before dumping and while dumping because it may only be 1/3 full. Don’t want turd pyramids. When I feel it’s flushed then I dump the grey tanks. I haven’t been able to get it down to a cycle by days, I just check it in the morning and evening. It all depends on how many people you have in and out. But I am a believer in saving your gray tanks to do the final flush on your hoses.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 11-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #18

I don’t know the answer to this issue but no experienced RV owner ever leaves the black tank open. It’s fine to leave the gray tank open, but wait till the black tank is almost full, then dump it. Always rinse the black tank after each dump and always add a black tank chemical such as Happy Camper before using the cleaned tank.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #19

Our neighbor left black open, not enough liquid in the line for everything to flush thru. **** literally dried in the line, plugging it.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #20

If all else fails read the owners manual!
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote

« dawnpawli | Battery »