Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

first trip - LOL

Well we took our first trip for a nite to check out the systems and had a real laugh. Hooked up water in the CG, changed the water heater by-pass and checked the flow at the faucets etc. Turned them all off and went back to WH. Something was wrong....heard water running somewhere, but not inside. Went out to the WH door and water was running down the side of the TT. Opened it to see water shooting out the newly installed drain valve. It would not turn off completely. Guess who installed that mod??? LOL
After that fiasco, all went well and we really enjoy the new TT. Jayco makes a fine product and hopefully the rest of my mods are more successful.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing....don't feel bad at all, I'll bet it will happen to most everyone at some point over the years!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 AM   #3
Site Team

There is a thread on here about OhOh moments. Read it and you will feel better!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
There is a thread on here about OhOh moments. Read it and you will feel better!
It's this one.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...light=bonehead

Quite possibly the most powerful tool on this entire forum! LOL! These stories are the oops moments you can read about and then NOT experience for yourself!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #5

Glad you caught it in time before any real damage! I also am planning a new trip in May from upstate NY to Myrtle beach using a 2011 2500 Duramax crew cab with Jayco 324BTS in tow...Any advice as far as pulling into stations for gas etc.? My nightmare is not making a turn wideenough in a busy intersection and having to back up ...Lot harder than driving the Fire truck especially with no sirens and guys backing me up! Lol...
NOPSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

P.S. Im a first time owner of a T.T. and this will be our first trip...
Old 03-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPSTER View Post
P.S. Im a first time owner of a T.T. and this will be our first trip...
Whoa! That is one HECK of a maiden voyage!!

Left turns are okay, but you really gotta watch the right ones. If you think you're taking it wide enough, go just a little wider and take your time; everyone else on the road can just get the ants out of their pants and wait.

Gas stations are what my nightmares are made of. But I've learned a couple things in my short time on the road about them.

1) Get gas when you have a good big station to do it in; don't run your tank low, you never know when a "good" station will come around.

2) Don't be afraid to maneuver around a station, get your spotter out there and have him/her make themselves useful if you get into a tight spot. Always know how you'll get out of a place before you ever get in.

3) You have a diesel, so it might be possible for you to use the big rig pumps? I don't even have that option with a gasser...

4) Watch your height

5) Take your time and take a deep breath, it'll be okay if you're careful.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #8

thanks for the advice! I will definitely be practicing backing up in the big storage lot...Is it true you should move over a little to prevent sway when you see an upcoming tractor trailer about to pass?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPSTER View Post
thanks for the advice! I will definitely be practicing backing up in the big storage lot...Is it true you should move over a little to prevent sway when you see an upcoming tractor trailer about to pass?
I've had big rigs pass me on some of our 2-lane rural Farm-to-market roads out in the South Texas Coastal Plains. Mostly rock haulers and oil tankers from the Shale trying to maximize their runs, so they're hauling pretty fast. When I'm getting passed on these little roads by a tractor, these are the ONLY vehicles I'll move over for and only if there is a substantial looking shoulder to drive on. IMHO the shoulder is NOT a safe place to drive with all the debris, and I'm unwilling to risk it if I don't have to.

If there's no shoulder, I'll slow down a little and move over as far to the opposite side of the lane as I can, but I think that's just a habit I formed years ago...

In my experience, being passed by a tractor-trailer is the moment most likely to induce sway in my entire trip, so I'm very careful during those transactions and will try to move as far away from the air they're pushing as possible. I've been passed plenty of times in some pretty dicey conditions and never had a problem.

Those guys are out to make a living, and the more runs they can complete, the more they bring home to their family, so I'll give them as much space as I can and try to stay out of their way. Everyone else can just wait and pass me when we get to a passing zone...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #10

that sounds pretty reasonable to me...Work before pleasure..just enjoy the ride!
Old 03-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #11

I use truck stops every chance I can when pulling and use the big rig pumps. pretty much stress free.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #12

Ill keep an eye out for them Hopefully there are some on route 15 south..thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #13

If you have a gps for directions they usually will tell you where truck stops are along your route as well as how far apart they are. Safe travels