Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

First TT Purchase

Hello, just joined and loving the forum! Need some purchase advice; I can't choose so I hope y'all can sway me one way.

I have 4 used TTs I'm looking at over the next several days:
1. 2006 Jayco Jayflight 29bhs
2. 2007 Jayco Jayflight 29bhs
3. 2011 Jayco Jayflight 26bh
4. 2011 Coachman Catalina 26bh

All these trailers are really close based on NADA value and features. I would really like the extra room of the 29bhs, but I'm a little concerned about weight. My tv is a 2000 F150 5.4 V8 w/ 3.55 rear end. However, the truck does have the extra payload package from the factory. I don't plan on towing far and I have no problem taking my time.

I am partial to the Jaycos and for some reason I like the older ones a little more? Especially the 06 w the front window before it was phased out. Both of the older Jayco's are barn kept. The 06 has a brand new roof as well.

I know the jayflight is the #1 selling tt so I know many of you have owned them. Any advice or issues with a particular year in my list? Any reason I should be scared of the older two on my list?

Thanks! I hope next week I can post pics of my first TT on here!
htr2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:18 AM   #2

Congrats and welcome.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #3

Buying a TT

IMHO, buying a TT is like a crap shoot. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.
Doesn't matter much about Brand as they all are built to the same low standards and have problems.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:55 AM   #4

With a properly setup weight distribution hitch your truck will be just fine.
I have a 2009 BHS G2. (Tundra TV)
When we bought ours(used) it was between same models but one had the G2 package(power awning, wall mounted thermostate, self igniting, etc...)
Needless to say we went with the G2 package and love it.
I can't imagine not having a slide. Even the small 12" slide helps tremendously.
I assume you'll look at, walkin, sit in each.
Take your time, don't let any salesman rush you.
Sit in each, try to imagine sleeping (bed access), cooking (counter space, where's your coffee maker going to go), go up the steps several times(which one is easiest), have someone sit on couch and you walk by to the bathroom, is there a comfortable amount of space or do they need to scooch over for you to get by?
I think you get the idea.
If salesman keeps hanging around tell him/her you want to some time to talk alone in the trailer. After he leaves Then you can sit there, move around, talk about what you like and don't like.
It's a big decision, take your time and don't be afraid to make an offer.
Keep us posted.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
Site Team

I've purchased several used rv's over the years. In fact, my 2017 is the first new trailer we've owned.

Anyway, it is really like buying a used car and an old house all in one. Look for signs of water damage, soft floors etc. Inspect the roof, calking around the vents, antennas, etc. Look at the age/condition of the tires, ask for records when the brakes and bearings were last checked or replaced. Make sure that all appliances, faucets, drains, water heater, work etc.

Don't get caught up in age or brand. You are just looking for the unit in the best possible condition.

Also, while I am thinking about it, as disgusting as it sounds, look for signs of bed bugs on the mattresses and bedding.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
We love our Jayco and made it totally our own with some modifications. Jayco is a good brand RV and will look after their customers. When you look at the RV's just take your time and ask lots of questions. Don't rush yourself into a deal until you have inspected all of them.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
IMHO, buying a TT is like a crap shoot. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.
Doesn't matter much about Brand as they all are built to the same low standards and have problems.
X2 Two years ago, our first TT was a three year old Aljo 183 that had very little use. I was totally against purchase until after our first trip when I told my DW that she was genious. It was a good purchase and decision for us and we were fortunate that the trailer was a good one.

Fast forward to earlier this year, and the DW wanted a bigger and new trailer. Short story we upgraded to a 2017 Jay Feather 23BHM. There were issues with the new one that we never had to deal with pre-owned one. But now that the quality control issues have been resolved, we love our new Jayco.

Best of Luck in your decision.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #8

Thanks for the responses!

Thank you for the great responses. I'm pretty patient on these things, my wife would say indecisive . I might be too patient bc I've let some great deal go by over the past year or so. But, I'm committed to purchasing this fall so we can start camping as a family (oldest is 10 now and youngest is 2 1/2).

I will definitely not be rushed and thankfully, all these trailer are being sold by individuals instead of dealers. I did some more reading and research last night and I think I am fine with my TV and the 29BHS. I won't win any races, but I believe I can safely tow the trailer and not work my truck too hard if I am patient. The furthest I plan to tow would be about 2 hrs and that would be flat to gentle/moderate hills.

Since the 2 29BHS TTs are older, I think I can actually get either of the units cheaper than the newer 26BHs. My wife definitely wants the extra room and privacy offered by the BHS so that is what I'm gonna try and make a deal on.

My biggest concern at this point is insulting the sellers I am planning to offer right between NADA low and average retail. But, that represents a significant difference in what these folks are asking on Craigslist.
htr2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #9

You won't insult them. If their trailers were that good of a bargain they'd be sold before you get there.
Most sellers ask more than its real value, gives them room to come down. ( they expect a lower offer). Travel trailers are kinda like boats. The best two days is the day you pick it up and the day you sell it.
If they really want to sell it, they'll work out a deal.
Good luck.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #10

When negotiating, nothing is ever insulting, it is just negotiation. (Of course, acting insulted is a great negotiating technique). However, there is "realism," but that is in the eye of the Seller. You won't know what that is until you ask. Because most "sellers" see the TT/rv only through their own eyes, a thorough inspection where you "find things" can help them be more "flexible."
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote