Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #1

First Two Trips with 16 Whitehawk 27DSRL

We just completed our second trip, and 10th night with the new DSRL.

First of all, our '10 Ford F150 tows it with no problems whatsoever, including through very mountainous areas. As I mentioned in another thread, it just seems to tow smoother than our 24FBS -- again might just be the wide axles....

Here are a few of our observations.

1. It is a very comfortable living area layout for a couple. The two recliners, along with the hide-a-bed couch give plenty of room to spread out. As one other person mentioned, the one recliner near the door does make for a tight entryway when it's pull out to recline, but it's doable. (It would be alot roomier if our 80lb golden retriever didn't feel he had to lie right in front of the door entry all the time!) When reclined, the table in between the recliners sits a bit far back and you have to kind of reach behind for your drink, but not a big deal.

2. We got the table and chairs, rather than the dinette. This is a bit of a double-edged sword as the table and chairs is definitely more comfortable to eat at, but valuable storage space is lost under the dinette seats. We actually took only two of the chairs with us on the second trip, as it gives a bit more space around the table to place items on the floor, including the dog! Personally, I think it would be better of two of the chairs were foldable types that one could store under the bed or something, a feature often available in 5th wheels and motor homes. That way, you have two more when need be, but it's not so cramped when just the two of us. We actually plan to buy a couple of cheap folding chairs for just that reason.

3. The kitchen counter is strangely low. I'm only 5'3 and I have to bend over to do dishes. But there is a good deal of counter space, which we enjoyed. I wish it had a double sink to let dishes drip dry, but we did find a collapsible dish rack to use instead.

4. Overall storage space, while a good deal of it, is a bit challenging in depth and height. The tallest cupboards, other than the bathroom linen closet, are the ones overtop of the kitchen counter and a bit tricky for short folk like myself to get into. I bought a small collapsible stool, which helps. Larger items are tricky, like a box of cereal or a coffee maker! I eventually settled on placing the coffeemaker in the kitchen sink while travelling. The cupboards over the recliners is nice extra storage, but again, i can't reach most of what's up there and must rely on the stool or my 6'4 hubby...

5. Bathroom: The linen cupboard in the bathroom holds A TON of stuff. I still only have it half full. The litter box (in this case a small blue recycling box) fits nicely beside the toilet. The space is too narrow for a regular kitty box. Shower works great and no leaks like some others have experienced. The sink and counter space is really tiny, but I knew that going in. We have placed some extra storage racks on the walls to help organize items we use regularly like toothbrushes, hair dryer, etc. The bathroom lacks any real places to hang towels and we plan to put up a big towel rack too.

6. Bedroom. Full size queen!! Enough said. So nice! The mattress is better than in our 14 Jayflight, but I can see it still would need replacement for better support. We put stacking plastic drawer storage units in the larger closet to use for socks, undies etc. The black bins under the bed, which are accessible from the sides are great. They hold lots of clothes and between that and the over the bed storage, you can take quite a bit of clothing along. We keep extra bedding, towels and shoes in small clear rubbermaid containers under the bed.

7. AC works perfect, but again as someone else mentioned, a strange extra amount of heat comes out of the duct in the bathroom at the expense of the two in the living area. We found closing the sliding door in the bedroom and keep the bathroom door open helps to move the heat back. But we will get a replacement, closable duct for that bathroom. As a side note, the cat loved it -- lying right in front of it to warm up!

8. Potential warranty fixes will be the door frame for the bathroom door. It isn't glued properly and pulls out, so then when you try to close the door, it bangs into the frame. You gotta shove the frame back in. One of the drawers doesn't like to close tightly with any regularity. But so far, that's it.

All in all, we love it. Is it perfect? Nope. But then again, is any unit truly perfect? We would highly recommend the DSRL to others. Its really is a great size for a couple and it's great that it's also 1/2 ton towable.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #2

Awesome review....thank you! I'm about to place my order for this model this week. Can't wait for delivery.
TwoBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Really great information! We would have one, too, but the space next to the house limits the length we can get. And, all dogs like to lay in front of the door and look out over their domain. It's just what they must do!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
2. We got the table and chairs, rather than the dinette. This is a bit of a double-edged sword as the table and chairs is definitely more comfortable to eat at, but valuable storage space is lost under the dinette seats. We actually took only two of the chairs with us on the second trip, as it gives a bit more space around the table to place items on the floor, including the dog! Personally, I think it would be better of two of the chairs were foldable types that one could store under the bed or something, a feature often available in 5th wheels and motor homes. That way, you have two more when need be, but it's not so cramped when just the two of us. We actually plan to buy a couple of cheap folding chairs for just that reason.
I completely agree! We talked about removing 2 chairs as well to allow space to put a dog bed (80 pound German Shepherd). It seems like such a shame to remove them though and folding chairs would have been the perfect solution.
Ally39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

We love our 27DSRL. Have made several upgrades. Digital thermostat; the best, keeps temperature within one degree. Progressive industries EMS (energy management system) along with a quick disconnect power cable. Fantastic Fan in bath and a new faucet in the bathroom sink.

We too have the table and chairs option and take only two chairs with us. Have replaced both of the chairs in the back. On the slideout side is a crate for 100 lb Black Lab. I bought a recliner for the street side.

DW is only 5'1" so I get stuff out of the overheads for her. Our trailer was built before the ceilings were raised, so she can reach the overhead lights.

We also have a 39" TV in living area and a 24" TV with DVD player in the bedroom.

Real happy with this trailer - it's a keeper!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

Do you have pics of those recliner replacements? Did you take the couch out too? PS: and how did you get the 39 inch TV installed? Did it fit within the opening? Pics? Thanks!!
Old 05-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #7

Great reviews n the wife and I love that floor plan but we were going with the 5th Wheel one, I believe it the Eagle 27.5 HT. Do you have any pics?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Great reviews n the wife and I love that floor plan but we were going with the 5th Wheel one, I believe it the Eagle 27.5 HT. Do you have any pics?
I don't have many pics at this point, but you can google Whitehawk 27 DSRL Plus model and it'll come up somewhere. The "Plus" gives the free standing table, power stabilizer bars and some other goodies.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #9

Out on an extended trip to Alaska slide stopped working hoping the extended warranty works 2014 27 DSRL
Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #10

Can you close the slide with the recliners in position?
The one thing we really don't like about our 27RLS is that we have to fuss with one of the chairs to close the slide and they are just swivel rockers, not recliners!.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Can you close the slide with the recliners in position?
The one thing we really don't like about our 27RLS is that we have to fuss with one of the chairs to close the slide and they are just swivel rockers, not recliners!.
Interesting question. Haven't actually tried as the only time the slide is closed is when we are travelling so we always turn them sideways and strapped them into place. I suspect it wouldn't work tho as the recliners will probably stick out too far for the slide to go in. We can, however, access the kitchen with the slide in!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #12

Solved my slide problem. There was an arc at the switch caused by a poor connection. The wire connector melted. Cleaned up the wires, installed a new connector and am continuing my trip to Alaska.