Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

First Winterization, 2011 Jayco JayFlight G2 33RLDS.

I feel that I have adequately winterized my JayFlight G2 33RLDS for the first time but have a few concerns. I have drained both of the fresh water holding tanks along with the gray and black holding tanks. I isolated and bypassed my Atwood hot water heater with the provided valves and drained the tank. At first I left the hot water heater drain plug out. While towing from storage to my residence for final cleaning I noticed water splashing out of the hot water tank. I have read on this forum that there are two quarters of water that remains in these Atwood hot water heaters and that there is no need for concern, so I am not too concerned about that. I also read that it might not be a bad idea to return the plug to its proper location to prevent insects from making themselves at home up in there so I have done so. I turned off the main water supply to the electric pump from the fresh water tanks. I needed to do that in order to get the pump started with the antifreeze. I have gone as far as to purchase a city water hand pump and pumped from there as well to ensure everything has antifreeze in it, hot and cold water pipes at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, inside and outside showers along with the pee traps and toilet.
I found two small valves in the bath room cabinet next to the inside shower located under the plumping for the outside shower. There are two pipes that go out of site under the floor. Not sure where but I turned them off as well. I am concerned about these valves and the pipe I can’t see because of their location and the under belly insulation and whether or not I should have turned them off. I am also concerned if I should reopen the main water supply to the electric pump. Looking for a little advice on these two items and anything that I may have missed.
Equal-i-zer®'s 4-Point Sway Control
Goldline RV Cover
Jayco33rlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Site Team

It appears you have done your homework on winterizing! The valves that go through the floor to the outside shower, are these going the low point drains? If so there should be some pipes under the trailer that drain water there, and a "low point drain sticker " should be on the side of the trailer. These should be opened when flushing the water out of the lines until antifreeze appears. Then close them and flush out the outside shower.

The water pump should be full of antifreeze so you can open up the valve to the fresh tank and run the pump to pull out any remaining water in the line, but it should be negligible. If you really want to be anal, you could then open a faucet and close the valve, and draw a little more antifreeze from the draw tube forcing out any water.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #3

The low point drains are clearly marked and are located under the fresh water tank fill more towards the middle of the trailer. These valves are not directly in line with the outside shower plumbing, they are in line with a second set of pipes that got through the floor and out of site.

I should be OK with the main water supply to the electric pump from the fresh water tanks, agreed?
Equal-i-zer®'s 4-Point Sway Control
Goldline RV Cover
Jayco33rlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
Site Team

OK I`m not sure what those valves go to then, perhaps someone with the same model can chime in. I have a couple valves (they are the pull up kind, not turn valves). that go to pipes in the rear of my trailer which go to low point drains, and the other low point drain valve is on the side at the fresh tank.

On the pump yep you should be good since you pumped antifreeze into the city water inlet. Just remember to turn the pump valve back on next Spring! Some have forgot this detail and then inquired why their pump would not prime.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #5

I found 2 pull up valves that drain to the outside behind a hidden door on the bottom of the shower on our 33 RLDS. I assume these are the low point drains.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote