Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

Fitting an 80" queen in a sub 30' Jayco?

Hi all,

Newbie here shopping for our first TT after a year of renting. We are looking for a TT for myself and my wife and our 65lb Greyhound....no kids. I'd like to keep the trailer under 30' hitch to bumper and under 5500 lbs dry. Our 2012 F150 5.0 has a 9200 lb tow rating but only 1420 lb payload, so we want to keep tongue weight below 850 lbs.

We are ideally looking for a model with a dinette, couch, slide, and ideally windows in the rear of the trailer to keep things bright. One model with these features we're considering is the Jay Feather 242.

Now, my issue is that my understanding is that Jayco only equip this size of trailer with 74" long rv queen beds. Being 6'1" and a stomach sleeper, the rv queens aren't comfortable for me. Has anyone put a standard size queen mattress in any of these units? I'm concerned many of the floorplans Jayco offers don't lend themselves to longer beds because of walls in front of the bed. Love to hear your experiences.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #2

We just bought a jay flight swift 267 BHS and it has a queen bed with the wall at the bottom. My husband is 6'4 1/2 inches and he fits with out his feet cramped aginst the wall. He an lay straight too, not from corner to corner. We love ours. 26 feet of trailer, 29 feet altogether. Under 6000 lbs and beautiful interior. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
Leigh and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

We have the 25z which has an almost identical layout to the 242. I did measure and the standard queen will fit.
It would be tighter on the bath side, but still quite livable.
I've found that the idea of the shorter mattress is worse than using it. I am not going to switch mine untill we need a new one and I'm your height.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoxy View Post
We have the 25z which has an almost identical layout to the 242. I did measure and the standard queen will fit.
It would be tighter on the bath side, but still quite livable.
I've found that the idea of the shorter mattress is worse than using it. I am not going to switch mine untill we need a new one and I'm your height.
Thanks for the info!
RightYouAreKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #5

Hi there,

Our trailer is 30 feet in length but they call it a 28u. They don't make this model anymore. We have the 74 inch queen and it takes a effort on my part make it work. Often I wake up in the morning with a sore back due to my feet hanging off the end of the bed. Next trailer will have the 80 inch mattress. A 80 inch queen may fit but you would have to climb over the bed to make it to the other side. I'm six feet. Our trailer has a long slide that goes out 18 inches. This is fine for the wife and I but would not work with your type of dog which I'm very familiar with. Given enough research I'm sure you could find a Jayco that would work or be adaptable. From my experience your right. Get one that fits the larger mattress and one wide enough that your dog can turn around in, which means the 30 inch slide. Hope this helps.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

Good info and reminder, thanks Murphie.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #7

I am 6'2" and had the same problem/s a couple of trailers ago, made a storable extension. So here was my solution, I bought a 3/8" thick piece of Lexan the width & length will be up to you. I heated one of the end with a propane torch enough to turn a piece up 90 the height of the upturned piece a little less than the thickness of the RV's mattress. at the other end of the 90 degree piece of Lexan I cut to the length enough to slide under the RV's mattress a full 36 plus inches, PLUS the width I needed to make my extension past the end of the bed's mattress. I bought a piece of doable density foam to fill the extension the height of the RV's mattress. Wife sewed a couple of old sheet slip on "socks", to cover, and place all inside the Lexan extension. As I said the width is up to your needs & space. It worked out for many years. She has her side I have mine on eather side with the standard mattress. When I get up, the whole she bang slipped out and stored under the bed, very easy to re-install next night. What'ch think ????
neverenoftackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #8

Wow, that's genius! There when you need it, not when you don't. I'm guessing that somewhat complicates using regular sheets though given the different bed length on your side vs hers?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #9

Can not see where you see the sheets were a problem ??? These Rv beds are shorter than the sheets we took from our home. Hummmm,,those sheets were always long on the bed. I remember because ever time I lifted it for the storage I had to lift sheets/blankets/comforter first. Just what lenght sheets are you using ?????? did not tuck them in,,,,do you ???
neverenoftackle is offline   Reply With Quote