Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #1

flat tire and replacement

Last fall I gained a nail in the tread of my right rear trailer tire. It happened when I was doing the final waste tank dump for the season. I got the trailer home without issue and put the spare on. I didn't intend to replace it until this camping season. Discount tire had a tire in stock and mounted it. I then mounted it on the right front corner of the trailer.

Only when I was doing my pre-trip inspection and tire pressure check before heading out last weekend did I notice that I was sold an E rated tire, and the other 3 are D rated tires. I aired them all to 65# for my trip.

Since the tires are 8 years old and need replacement due to age, I guess the other three will be E rated tires as well. I plan on getting the left front replaced before our trip next weekend, then replace the rear two after that.

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #2

I went from the old marathons to a commodore LR E. I did the same thing, except mine blew out on the highway. Purchased one and then went back for the other 3 a month later. The old marathons were holding air but looked rough. I now set all 4 to 80 psi and life is good.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

Tire Replacement

I would not leave the driveway on 8 yr old tires. Conventional wisdom is 5 to 7 max. I just had a blow out with a 4 plus year old tire. They can look great but not be able to stand the stress. You might want to do some research on this issue.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #4

look at this sticky regarding trailer tires

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...cts-29077.html

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
I would not leave the driveway on 8 yr old tires. Conventional wisdom is 5 to 7 max. I just had a blow out with a 4 plus year old tire. They can look great but not be able to stand the stress. You might want to do some research on this issue.
I concur. Had a shredded tire a couple weeks ago myself. Did a lot of reading on the subject with opinions all over the place. TT are not like cars when it comes to tires. Here are very general points I gathered:

1) trailer tires generally sit for long periods of time between uses, causing issues with the point of contact and sun damage
2) many people, myself included, didn't realize "ST" trailer tires are not supposed to be run over 65mph (although I did find Goodyear indicates their trailer tires can be run from "66-70mph" with an additional 10psi of pressure. Their words not mine...)
3) trailer tires should be replaced every 3-5 years, regardless of condition

Keep in mind, these are not my opinions, just what I found when researching and again, opinions are all over the place. My TT is 3 years old (+ however long it sat on the lot) and I just had a shredder. I'm replacing them all.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

I do intend to replace the remaining tires. Conventional wisdom presented to me was 6 to 8 years for trailer tires. It wasn't until I replaced the flat one, that I was told that they were 8 years old.

my point wasn't the age of the tires, but was the E rated tire in with 3 D rated tires.

The other issue I have is brakes and my Dodge integrated brake controller....
I adjusted the brakes to one-click less than slight drag, but I still can't lock them up manually from the controller. My Prodogy on my previous rig locked them up fine.

The Dodge OEM controller won't do it.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
Site Team

The different ratings will not affect anything short term.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #8

Just for general info:

There is a 4 digit date code on each tire. The first 2 digits is the week of the year of manufacture and the last 2 are the year of manufacture. Not hard to age a tire.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #9

To add to my previous post on tire age. I always specify when purchasing new TT tires that I will not accept a date code over 6 months old. They could have been in inventory a year or more depending on the volume of the dealer.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
To add to my previous post on tire age. I always specify when purchasing new TT tires that I will not accept a date code over 6 months old. They could have been in inventory a year or more depending on the volume of the dealer.
Correct! There is nothing more deflating than buying a set of rv tires and finding out they are a year old before you drive a mile.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #11

Fear not gentle readers. I finished my purchase of three other Carlisle trailer tires from Discount Tires. All have date codes within the past 7 months.

Tim
Old 07-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Just for general info:

There is a 4 digit date code on each tire. The first 2 digits is the week of the year of manufacture and the last 2 are the year of manufacture. Not hard to age a tire.
For those who dont know what to look for, you should be able to find a DOT code on the side wall of the tire (normally located near the rim itself). The DOT numbers should contain at least sections with numbers and letters in them. On one side of the tire (sometimes both) there should be a 3rd section after the DOT, this would be the date code.

Example......DOT 4RX2 93R1 2512. This code would tell you that the tire was built in the 25th week of 2012, by looking at the last 4 didgets. Hope that helps.

When ever I mount tires, I always mount the date code outwards, that way it makes it easy for someone to easlily identify the age of a tire.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote