Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #1

Flex Seal

Has anyone used as seen on TV Flex Seal to seal their entire roof? If so, are you satisfied with the results. I have been researching various sealers and this looks comparable price wise with others. A friend of mine has been patching his TT roof in spots for a year now and it seems to be working and not cracking.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Team

I have used ther tape to patch my awning. You talking about a coating?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #3

Clean up for Flex Seal is mineral spirits which is listed as damaging to EPDM material. I would not use it.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #4

Flex Seal

Yes, Norty I'm talking about doing my entire roof. It comes in a gallon can also. Thanks, Grumpy for the heads up.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

I sure would not risk trashing my roof using something that isn't proven to work and damage the membrane.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #6

Flex Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Clean up for Flex Seal is mineral spirits which is listed as damaging to EPDM material. I would not use it.

Is it a newer JAYCO with the Dicor Diflex II TPO roof? According to Dicor, you can use mineral spirits on a rag to clean tough spots on a Diflex II roof. Just don’t saturate it with the stuff or pour it on the roof.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Is it a newer JAYCO with the Dicor Diflex II TPO roof? According to Dicor, you can use mineral spirits on a rag to clean tough spots on a Diflex II roof. Just don’t saturate it with the stuff or pour it on the roof.
And when you apply the Flex Seal you are pouring a mineral spirits based product on the roof.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #8

I've actually thought about using multiple rolls of 6''x50' Eternabond tape overlapped 1/4'' to cover my entire roof. I think I costed it out around $800.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #9

I use flex seal on my gutters of the house, it is sensitive to UV and needs to be top coated if you want it to last more that a year or so. I would not suggest it. Where I didn’t top coat it, I just sweep it up. Go with a membrane of some sort like the newer rv’s.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I've actually thought about using multiple rolls of 6''x50' Eternabond tape overlapped 1/4'' to cover my entire roof. I think I costed it out around $800.
You will need far more than a 1/4" overlap. Also, that could be a lot of weight added to the RV for minimal gain. You can get similar adhesive membranes that come on far wider rolls from commercial roofing suppliers.

Frankly, I feel you would be wasting your time and money on a scheme like that. If your roof membrane is in decent shape, just use regular Eternabond on the seams and edges. If the roof could use a coating, use Eternabond's WebSeal on the edges, seams, and to cover any damage, then use a roll and brush on coating designed for your roof type (you can't use a coating over regular Eternabond--it won't stick well--hence the need for WebSeal).
Old 10-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #11

jloco, it is a 2009 with the EDPM. Thanks. Flex Seal's Swift Response Section list it as acceptable for EDPM roofs. Who knows!!! I'm not 100% sold on using it. Will do some more research. Also, I'm not discounting the advice I have received so far.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #12

Concept wise, it is interesting. Not sure I would do the whole roof. I would be more likely to coat all the caulked areas. I would review how UV light affects the longevity of the product, as I would not want to do anything that would cause issues in the future. I wonder what bubbling caulk under the Flex Seal would do? Thinking out loud, would you need to remove the caulking from all the vents, etc to ensure a solid bond around the edges.

Last year, I applied 6” Eternabond over all caulking. It was easy to apply. I keep a small roll in the TT just in case I receive any damage to the membrane. In the last 6 years, I have owned this TT, I have had no roof issues, other than the one small tear, I did the first time I went up on the roof.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #13

I hope my info will shed some light on it for you.

I bought an old fifth wheel and placed it on the lake lot. I went to patch the roof where it was leaking (multiple places) and got some 4 inch etrnabond from Amazon.

While visiting Corinth RV in Corinth MS, Janet in their parts service dept suggested using the hotest water I could stand with a very stiff brush and lots of Dawn dishwash liquid. Multiple washings, rinsing and drying. Her method worked perfectly.

She also suggested that etrnabond has a 12" wide roll if I need it.

While I was doing the repairs, I noticed 3 things that bothered me. Someone had used lots of Silicone based caulking that had to be completely removed as it was not sealing at all. That the small epdm overlays from previous repairs were of course loose and causing problems and the third one was that a rubberized roof coating had been installed and it was peeling everywhere.

I used a scraper to remove as much as I could under the patch areas I was making, but one place it would not all come off. I thought it might be OK, so I put the tape over it and it did NOT seal. Had to place another strip to a totally clean area and tie it together.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #14

We know someone that used the spray on bed liner like lineX.
It was an older trailer but very happy
pamschultze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #15

Flex Seal Update

Flex Seal Products customer service reply. Not recommended for EDPM RV roofs. Anyone have any recommendations for what to use to completely cover a EDPM RV roof?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #16

Flex Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Flex Seal Products customer service reply. Not recommended for EDPM RV roofs. Anyone have any recommendations for what to use to completely cover a EDPM RV roof?

I’d go with something like this. Dicor manufactures RV roofing and related supplies. This product is for EPDM.
2 step process.

Dicor RPCRPQ EPDM Rubber Roofing Coating System roof Cleaner/Activator - 1 Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRFS8Q..._Pl-YBbG1XNBK2

Dicor RPCRC1 RP-CRC-1 Rubber Roof Acrylic Coating Wht https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A32HUY..._Pe-YBb43QDVYJ
Old 10-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #17

My solution to a failing rubber roof was http://rvroof.com. Would I do it again? Absolutely, but I wouldn't wait 5 1/2 years while wondering when and where the rubber roof or the dozens of feet of caulking would fail.

I would go straight from picking up the new rig and have it sprayed before I ever used the new rig. Consider it part of the purchase price and forget roof issues.

Check my numerous old posts on this subject.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #18

We plan to use the flex tape for the runners that have rusted on our daughters car. I was told it works wonders it is rubber. Wish us luck. Just need a temp fix until she grads from college. So no idea on the roof. But was told it is great for rust filler.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote