Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #1

Flexible rubber door trim...

What does everyone do with their flexible rubber door trim (the half-roundish stuff around the entry door and compartment doors (on a Jay Flight anyways). The stuff always seems to be coming off and gets annoying stuffing it back in there. Thinking of gluing it in the track somehow or just ripping it out completely. I only hesitate to rip it out because it must give some type of weather resistance to the screws below.
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:08 AM   #2

Any protection it gives to the screw heads is slight. There are many others at least on my trailer that have no covering at all. Most likely it was over stretched at the factory when they installed it...every extra inch they install cuts into profits you know! When it is stretched it gets narrower and doesn't want to stay in the groove.

I'd pick up a roll of new material either on-line or from a local trailer supply yard and replace it. This time you want to stuff it in the groove don't stretch or pull it.

Kind of like replacing a door seal on a freeze dryer or an autoclave. If you stretch it you'll run out groove to put it in and you end up with a big wad at the end.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #3

I'm not sure about the vinyl trim width on all doors, but on mine it was an oddball width, and very very flexible. We had issues with it blowing out in the wind of highway travel. About a year ago, I removed the vinyl trim and squirted a small bead of clear silicone caulking into the slot at each side of the vinyl trim channel. I reinstalled the vinyl trim (while the silicone was still liquid). Some minor clean up of the silicone with paper towels was needed. Since then, the vinyl trim has stayed put.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

I have the "blowing out by the wind" issue also. Just the leading right side of door. Since there is a screw at top and bottom thru trim and into frame, wondering if two or three more added would hold it in place? Would the silicone cause a removal problem at a later date?
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

The trim might be damaged due to the silicone "glue" if it had to be removed, but the silicone could be easily gouged out with a small screwdriver if needed; if the trim had to be replaced, I'm assuming more of the flexible trim could be ordered somewhere. More screws would certainly hold the vinyl trim, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the trim to cover the screw holes.

I think the problem is just that the trim is too flexible, so I think that stiffer trim would stay in place. I removed the screw at the end and removed just a bit of the trim so I could measure it. I don't remember the width, and I couldn't find new vinyl trim in an appropriate width. So, I glued it in place with silicone - just a bit on the edges - and so far it has worked well.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote