Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #1

Flipping the Axels

Does anyone know about flipping the axles on a Jayco. I want to switch the location the axles mount to the leaf springs from on top of the spring, to the underside. This is in order to increase the clearance of the undercarriage. I've heard of this being done and it sounds like it is quite common. I wonder about the warranty...will it void?

We have a 2011 29L and I'm not happy with the clearance I currently have. The other option is a lift kit. Anyone know if these are factory only options or can I install one in the "field"?

2007 Jayco JayFeather 26L
4J's_&_M_with_Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #2

On my previous '93 Prowler 19ft TT, I re-positioned its axles under its leaf springs by folllowing http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/axles1.html For my TT, it raised its chassis approx 4.5" - which created more ground height for its rear plumbing. The negative side, I had to get a large plastic box for another step. But overall, great mod. And yes, I'd do it again - on that specific trailer.

The guy who owns a 5er across the street re-positioned its axles as well. Today's pickups are higher off the ground. And, his older 5er was too close to his pickup box. He's happy to re-position his trailer leaf springs as well.

I cannot see how re-positioning axles (under leaf spring packs) would void factory warranty. But... Best to ask your Jayco Dealer to confirm....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #3

The only lift kits that would work with axles on top of the springs are new spring perches welded to the frame, longer shackles (which can cause sideways instability and possible damage to the perches if sideways stress is high enough), or re-arched springs (which can cause the same problems as longer shackles, albeit less likely). The safest way would be the axle flip (which is also less expensive than the other options, with the possible exception of longer shackles).
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #4

4j's don't know if this helps but my 5'er came with the axels flipped from the factory as many of them now due from Jayco due to the newer truck heights. Do you have adjustment holes on the leaf spring mounts? I have three to adjust the height up but that may not be a feature on the TT's. So as far a warranty goes they do both from the factory apparently and it may be fine.
That being said by flipping your axels you will alter your entire setup with weight distribution due to the level point of your hitch going up to achieve balance. Meaning your going to need to raise your hitch ball on the TV equally as high or you're going to put too much weight on your front trailer tires as a result. I did this on my previous TT and I was maxed out on height at the hitch ball as a result so check that you can go up. Are you going offroad? I did it for the beach. Maybe tires might be cheaper and easier to get an extra few inches?

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4J's_&_M_with_Jayco View Post
snip....I wonder about the warranty...will it void?....snip
Contact Jayco directly, not your RV dealer. Unless it is optioned at the factory for the TT model in question, I don't think Jayco will warranty anything that could be attributed to the axle modification. As stated, this type of modification changes the TT frame height/center of gravity and may affect the towing characteristics of the TT.

Dexter Axle does have what they refer to as Overslung/Underslung Conversion Kits. If you are thinking about doing it yourself, here is a snapshot of what's involved: http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/Instr...59-551-00A.pdf

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

I have a 2012 Swift 145RB with extremley low ground clearance and dropped spindles on the axle just wonder if anyone as converted these over to the underside of the spring .
walburda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #7

OK, older thread here but I just researched and completed this issue (flipping axles) for my 1997 Jayco 5er that has Dexter axles. I bought the over/under kits and did the work myself. The Dexter over/under kits work great for axles rated for 5200#s and lower...anything rated higher must have new perches welded on according to Dexter. Mine were 5200# axles so I used them without welding the perches (although I may have them tack welded later). The whole project was an interesting experience for me and it gave me a chance to do maintenance on the hub bearings and brakes as well. I already had tools, jack stands, and a 12 ton bottle jack, so all I needed was a level hard surface other than my driveway (not level at all) plus a little ingenuity. After I lifted the trailer and had it secured on the stands I pulled my hubs both to make the axles lighter to handle and to check bearings and brakes. The bearings were fine but I re-packed them with grease anyway but the brakes were a different story. I had 2 broken adjuster springs on one axle and a chewed up adjuster that had fallen out when the spring broke. Luckily, I found replacement springs at a auto parts store but I had to re-assemble one hub with the chewed up adjuster...and ordered parts from Dexter. I also was faced with the shock absorber relocation issue...and in the end...I made my own brackets to mount the shocks to the frame in the proper location and angle then bolted them onto the frame with grade 8 bolts instead of having them welded. The extra lift and clearance helps level my 5er out nicely when hitched to my TV and will avoid any truck bed contact issues over uneven grades. I have pictures....Note the broken shock bracket in the first few "Gitting-er" pics
Before
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Gitting-er....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1372[1].jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	9715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373[1].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	9704Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1375[1].jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	9705Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	9706Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1383[1].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	9707
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1384[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	9708Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1385[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	9710Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1374[1].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	9714
Done!
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
I lowered the pin box by one hole to get 6 inches of bed clearance...now she rides pretty level.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote