Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Flooded my trailer

In the process of trying to find a leak i flooded my trailer. Was filling the tub up. Hose was hooked up to a timer and it timed out. So no leak no problem. Left it for the night. Over night the timer kicked on for 2 hours. Well got everything out and dried out. Problem is the underbelly. I have been slicing the underbelly and pulling out the wet insulation. Seems like there is some wet under the tub. With the black water tanks and and supports i can’t get in there to pull the insulation out. Is it possible to drop the black tank down a couple inches without causing any problems? I should be able to get in there and pull it out if i can do that.
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #2

Toilets on many/most? trailers are directly connected to the black tank, so, IMO, NO you can't drop the black tank without problems.

(This may not have any bearing on your trailer, but someone here was posting about their issue with a soft floor near the toilet (I looked briefly, but didn't find it). Their vent stack was improperly installed which created water leaks and a soft floor. Just wanted to give you a 'heads up' since you are 'tearing into' your unit.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

I'm sorry, but.. the "tub"?

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #4

I'm gonna guess there is about an 8x8 hole cut in the floor decking, where your P-trap for the Tub hangs down. Good place for water to pour right in. Toilet flange is likely bolted to the floor decking, but clued to the pipe to the black tank. That is the ONE piece of decking I haven't cut out yet, the area bolted to the toilet flange, so I can't say for sure. I wanna say there is a threaded fitting on the vent stack, but you'd have no way to access it easily.

Oh... and I'm the guy oldmanAZ was speaking of. My thread is here, if you wanna take a peek. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...let-60711.html You're the guy with the bunkhouse model who had his awning rip loose though, right? I hate to say it, but we may be in the same pickle, though I'm thinking yours will have less damage..... but a similar process to make it "right".

I attached a pic showing the P-trap in mine, after I yanked the tub and it's support. Dunno if yours is built exactly the same, but the tub wasn't hard to remove. Screws through trim and edge of tub, carefully cutting sealant. The worst is carefully cutting through the putty tape gluing the tub to the walls. A thing putty knife and taking my time did it in about 30 minutes, without causing any more damage. OH... and reaching under to unscrew the P-trap from the tub grain.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1157.JPG  
Old 09-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #5

Uck, sounds like grey tank water, which is a lot better than the black tank.

It is faiy easy to remove the underbelly. Remove any insulation as needed, then aim a strong floor fan under there.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #6

I am the guy with ripped off awning. This little foooding issue just made that nightmare 10 times worse. My issue is. I have sliced the underbelly all over to get the wet insulation out. The issue is. Trailer was constructed. Steel frame. Insulation. Wood floor frame. Plywood floor. Walls. The insulation is pinched between the underbelly and the wood frame everywhere the wood crosses the steel. Will it ever truly dry up under there? What would insurance do if i turned it in? Is it worth the problems i may have down the road?
Old 09-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
I am the guy with ripped off awning. This little foooding issue just made that nightmare 10 times worse. My issue is. I have sliced the underbelly all over to get the wet insulation out. The issue is. Trailer was constructed. Steel frame. Insulation. Wood floor frame. Plywood floor. Walls. The insulation is pinched between the underbelly and the wood frame everywhere the wood crosses the steel. Will it ever truly dry up under there? What would insurance do if i turned it in? Is it worth the problems i may have down the road?
I know exactly what you mean, regarding how the insulation and framing is assembled. Stupid, isn't it?

If you can get the tanks out, and get everything underneath opened up, you could likely "tent" the sides of the trailer, and maybe run a heater/fan under there until you were satisfied things were dry enough. In my opinion, that would be a LOT less work than doing what I've been up too, gutting the interior and cutting up the floor.

I just removed the little piece of decking that was left around my toilet flange. HOW they managed to run lag bolts down into a flange meant for countersunk screws, I have NO idea. I had to struggle to grab the bolt flats with a small crescent wrench, so I could turn them out enough to get a socket to bite. It DOES look like my toilet flange is threaded. I can see white crumbly thread sealer. I can't imagine glue having that consistency, but the tanks are pretty flimsy, so I would be surprised if the fitting in the tank broke free trying to turn the flange out. You won't know until you try I guess. Vent stack for the black tank seems to be assembled the same way, a threaded fitting into the tank. (you might be able to reach past the end of the tank from underneath to grab that) That vent pipe is likely located inside the wall between the bath and your bunks. You should be able to determine that from the outside, by it's location on the roof.

Oh, and as far as insurance, you won't know until you ask. Given the age of the TT, and depending on its value, they might total it? OUR policy didn't cover water damage though. I'm either cheap or dumb apparently, or both.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #8

Turning into insurance and taking it to a local shop. I talked to the shop and told them of horror stories I have heard of months for repairs. She claimed they do exist, but primarily warranty work. I already have an appt. Wednesday morning. Should take a couple weeks. They are going to fix everything. Will see how it goes
Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

Insurance may be your only route,mold may be another problem!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #10

I will request some sort of a warranty on the elimination of the mold.

Thanks for your help
Chris