Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Flooding issues.

After 3 years of saving and searching, my husband and I ordered a 2016 Eagle 324 BHTS and took ownership on 7-20-15. This was the only camper that we agreed on and we both fell in love at 1st sight. We've come across some minor issues, and some not so minor issues, but nothing that was definite deal breakers, yet. Last Sunday night, the river where we camp May- November flooded and we were unable to get our camper out in time. The water got up to the floor, but not inside if it and the only place we saw water was in the front storage compartment (under the bed) but carpets and linoleum were dry. The leveling jacks are no longer working, but all slides, speakers and lights still function. Our insurance adjuster told us to take it wherever we wanted it fixed (our local Jayco dealership) and have them to send an estimate. Our local dealer said since the insulation was soaked, the entire floor would need to be replaced and the cost of that would make it a total loss
We have tried to locate another camper exactly like ours, but with no luck. Jayco has made changes to the 2017 model that I do not like (moved the TV location in the bunk room, removed a lot of storage from the bunk room and added a window, cosmetic changes to the outside kitchen, removed the door between the bathroom and the bedroom, removed the linen closet between the living area and the bedroom). My husband feels we need to just get the new model Jayco and deal with the unwanted changes, but I'm not willing to jump on board with that idea just yet.
My questions are: 1) Is it truly nessesary to replace the entire floor? Can we not just rip out the wet insulation, let it dry out, and then replace with new insulation and protective barrier? 2) If we can do that, will Jayco still honor what warranty is left? Our local dealer didn't get to a single 1 of our list of problems to be fixed last winter 3) If the answer is no, will Jayco custom build me a 2016 model even though they have already switch to the 2017? 4) If that's not an option, which company is most comparable to Jayco, Grand Design or Open Range? I like the Grand Design floorplan better (minus the fact that I can't get a party couch) and they have a 3 year warranty, but my husband thinks the Open Range is 2nd best (their party couch is very uncomfortable and storage in the bunk room is just as crappy as the 2017 Eagle)
Lessmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If the dealer signs off on it as a write off you probably can negotiate with the insurance company.
If it is a 1/2 + 1/8 luan floor with Styrofoam insulation in between then it is difficult to remove the insulation. This has no effect on the water damage (depends how long in the water). But the underbelly has to be removed (I assume it has the Black Coroplast underbelly) in order to do a proper assessment. I always say: Everything can be fixed. But the cost might be sometimes a deterrent.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

Grand Design is 1 year on everything and 3 years on structure, not 3 bumper to bumper. Open Range is 2 yr bumper to bumper just like Jayco. Call Jayco to see if they can locate a 2016 on some dealer's lot.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #4

Just bought a 2017 324bhts this week. I looked at other makes with this similar floorplan. Outback, Denali and the lacrosse. Dont know what it is but i think the jayco seemed to be put together that bit better. Maybe im biased because jayco is the only make i have owned. Friends of mine have the outback and the lacrosse. Both have had their issues, more so the lacrosse but still i like the Jayco better. I didnt realize they have changed as many little things on the new model until i looked at what you had mentioned. Linen closet looks good. Hope you get something you will enjoy having. Its a lot of money to spend and not be completely happy with it.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:57 AM   #5

Having the experience of buying a partially flooded car back from an insurance company because we loved it, I would never buy anything that was flooded again.

I know a car is a different animal then a trailer, but we ran into so many odd and quirky hidden problems it quickly proved to be a mistake.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Call Jayco to see if they can locate a 2016 on some dealer's lot.
I agree with Grumpy. I bet there's one sitting somewhere, but you'll probably have to make a road trip to get it.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #7

I just did a quick google search of the 2016 Eagle 324 BHTS and there is one on RV Trader in Missouri. Hopefully it's still available and that they will have the options you desire. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you'll find a new 2016 close to home.

2016 Jayco Eagle 324 BHTS, Bourbon MO - - RVtrader.com
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

I live in flood country and have assisted both car dealerships and rv dealerships in getting vehicles off their lots as waters rise. Vehicles that don't make it out are title branded and worthless.

There is a difference between a small amount of water getting in and sitting in water soaking the insulation 100%. I would scrap the trailer and get out of it.

No floorplan is worth the misery of what is to come if you attempt that repair.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

Sorry for your bad luck... I agree with your opinions on the 2016 model. Here's another in Davenport, only about 4 hours from St. Louis.

New Travel Trailer - 2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the help! I have already looked at all the 2016's available on RV Trader, but we need a party couch. That was probably the #1 thing I loved about ours!! We have never used the dinette on our previous campers (for eating or sleeping) so it was just a waste of space. If anyone comes across a 2016 324 BHTS with Java interior, solid surface countertops, and a party couch, please let me know! I'm going to call jayco and see if they will do a dealer search, but I'm not against buying used either.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #11

I don't know if it is worth it or not but could you order the party couch separately and have the dealer install it and remove the sofa/dinette?
Moon8211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #12

For the right price I could sell you mine… but trust me, it wouldn't be worth my price. [emoji846]

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon8211 View Post
I don't know if it is worth it or not but could you order the party couch separately and have the dealer install it and remove the sofa/dinette?
I'm waiting on Drew at Jayco to call me back with my options. This may be a possibly, if all else fails.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #14

Are you still looking? Have to sell mine. 2016 eagle 324 bhts. Party sofa and 2 AC;s. I've used it as a seasonal since May. Purchased in April. Use it only 3 or 4 days a week since parking it. It's located in the Lake George NY area now. Live in Vt. it will be there till the end of this month. Would like $38,000. Will be posting it on RV trader shortly.
newhitney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, bhts, grand design, open range, wet floor