Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #1

Folding Stairs Oops

Bent the small, front set of steps on our 320 RLDS a bit. I straightened them but the bottom step slips on one side, so I want a new set. Spoke to Hickory Springs and was told Jayco uses non-standard mounting parts, and I'm awaiting a call back from a Dave Clark I was referred to.

I have the standard part number for the HS 24" W and 9" rise, and prices range from about 150 on Ebay to 280 at my dealership, which would probably have the right part or parts.

Does nyone have information or input about this?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

I also bent my bottom step and had to straighten it and like you said it slipped on one side. What i found was the rivets had bent and allowed the step to slip past the catch that it rides on. What i did was drill the rivets out and installed bolts with locknuts and no more problem been working great for six months now. Hope this helps.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #3

Check all the rivets! I had the rivet head on my front top step wear to the point of the rivet falling out. Lucky I was camping and I found the rivet on the ground. I replaced it with a bolt and lock nut.( both top rivets have been replaced now)
2015 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty 6.4 Hemi Reg Cab 3.73 Gear SRW
Member Long Island Castaways
Member Suffolk Committee For Camping
Grumpygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #4

Thanks. I did pop a rivet or two on the right side and replaced them with nuts and bolts. On the left side I drilled two holes for bolts, if I recall right. But when the steps are retracted, the bottom step has to slide on a "ledge" on the left, and it slips off. That ledge could be extended, but truth is, it takes some leaning on to get it completely folded and tucked under the door. DW can't do it at all. As it is, it's just isn't as sanitary a fix as I would be happy with. So I'm stuck with buying another set but don't want to pay a hundred more if it isn't necessary.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #5

I bent mine last weekend also. One of the boards I use to level side to side popped up and wedged between the tire and the step. I have not repaired it yet though.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote