Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #1

FQSW BED issue

FYI,I dont know it was something I/we did.But,the headboard side of our 2016 SQSW collapsed,downward into under storage area. reason was ,the staples that held the plywood mattress support gave way,a small Luan plywood was to weak to support. The incident happened while loading the overhead storage above bed,I believe there was insufficient support to hold a full body weight at this point of the bed,Thats my opinion>.I replaced the 1/2x1/2 support that was stapled to the underside of nightstand.All work needed to be done inside the cargo area with exception of last step., .After removing the original 1/2x1/2 support ,I cut a piece of plywood ,3/8 would be fine ,fitted behind the original Luan plywood,which i left for aesthetics inside the unit.I screwed the new plywood ,into the lower support ,approx 1 inch above the cargo space,I think its a 2x2 ,hard to see,but its the support that allows bed to suspend over the cargo area...Using 3 carriage bolts ,I attached a 2x2 to bottom of nitestand.This results in 3 oval shaped boltheads ,minimally seen on top of the nitestand,once painted to color,I felt I was happy with it.Finally ,last step was inside the unit,i screwed 6- 1 1/2 drywall screws thru the orig Luan,and thru the new plywood (I used 3/4 ply,its what I had.)onto the new 2x2 support. Same procedure on opposite side.I will be happy to give any other details ,needed,I guess you can just reply to my post and I will get notice. . The issue will be evident should an owner have same problem.Self explanatory at that point. Mike
mikesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #2

Very common. This was the only real flaw we had with our 2011 Eagle. 6 years later it's apparently still not addressed.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote