Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Frame Replacement

Has anyone had to have their frame replaced on their travel trailer.
Looks like my structural issue has to do with the frame.
Jayco is sending over my inspection report to LCI to review the frame measurements that are off.
Is this something the dealer is capable of doing or does it go back to the factory for a frame swap??
Old 11-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyhse View Post
Is this something the dealer is capable of doing or does it go back to the factory for a frame swap??
Unless the way they built it has changed drastically, that would be almost impossible even at the factory.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #3

Wow, I'll be curious as to how this will go.
The dealer kept denying the issue and brushed it off as a Jayco design.
I hired a RV inspector that found the defect in the frame.
I'm also requesting to be reimbursed for money I paid out for the inspection.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #4

What was the actual issue?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

Frame Replacement

Why would they even try that? I would insist on a new unit. That thing will never be right again.
Joammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #6

X2!!!

Frame replacement on a vehicle after an accident is one thing and even with that they still aren't right after.

Turn that thing into paperclips and plastic water bottles and make them get you a new one.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #7

If you receive a report from a legit inspector, your trailer will be replaced by Jayco. Corporations don’t mess around with matters like this because their liability in the event of an incident would be in the millions, not to mention future sales.

Sure like to know what happened that started this process?
Old 11-15-2018, 04:18 AM   #8

Do a search for right side sag.
Those were my original findings.
Dealer stated it was in the Jayco design.
Jayco recommended I get a second opinion so I hired a certified RV Inspector to check it out.
Measurements were taken and a report was sent out to Jayco and the dealer.
She found other issues as well.
Jayco thus far has been great!!
I'll keep you all posted.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

This will really put Jayco's Customer Service to the test. Please do keep us informed.
Wish you the very best!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #10

I hope that things work out for you. But the frame is the cornerstone for building the trailer. I have never heard anybody replacing the frame. Will likw to know what the outcome is when all said and done.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #11

Thanks all,
I will keep everyone posted.
Yes this is the true test of Jayco.
Let’s see if they can match up to the likes of Tiffin!
So far they get an "A".
Tinyhse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #12

Frame Replacement

PERSONAL OPINION - replacing the frame is near impossible. Jayco has videos on YouTube that outline their construction process (with emphasis on the best frame in the business). If you watch them, the first thing they do is screw the floor down to the frame - do you think you can get that apart without some major damage.

If you get anything, it is most likely to be REPAIRED.

In support of my opinion please read on.

We purchased a NEW 2017 5th wheel - 24.5 CKTS in June of this year. About 10 days after purchase I discovered significant rust and under-belly enclosure fabric damage. Took photos and visited the dealer and requested that the unit be replaced. Dealership took more photos and referred situation to Jayco (mid July time frame). mid Sept. I was asked to deliver trailer to dealer by Sept. 26th in order for it to be delivered to LCI (Jayco's frame manufacture) for inspection and decision on how to proceed. At one point during the August time frame - trailer frame replacement was suggested - that never happened - the decision was taken to repair - grinding, sand blasting, welding and refinishing the frame and replacing the dual axle under-carriage completely, after which it was returned to the dealer, the week of Nov. 5th and we are now waiting for the dealer to replace the under-belly enclosure.

We asked for a replacement unit - no way - we then asked to have the deal cancelled with a full refund and we would go elsewhere - again - no way. The dealer claims the trailer will be "better than new" when we finally get it back. They also indicated that if we were still not satisfied they would do there best to come up with a DEAL on a 2019 model, using our trailer as a USED trade-in - you know who is going to benefit most from that sort of arrangement - not the consumer.

I am in Ontario Canada. We have a Consumer Protection act and an organization called OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council). Great - unfortunately, neither organization can compel a dealer to do anything - you can lodge a complaint with them but if the dealer doesn't meet your requests, your option is to take the dealer to court - at your cost, if you don't win.

I have learned the hard way that the towable RV industry (at least in Ontario) is unregulated. The only standards a manufacturer is required to meet are the Electrical Code and the Gas Fitters Code. Beyond that it would appear that the only way you will get favorable results is if there happen to be enough similar situations to create a threat to the manufacturer's reputation.

I am retaining all relevant documentation regarding this miss-adventure, just in case I have future problems with our "better than new" frame repaired 5th wheel.

Other than that, we really like like the way Jayco designed and equipped this 5th wheel and it tows like a dream behind our 2018 F150 (5 litre V8 with 10 speed automatic). Trailer and truck appear perfectly matched - with the RV on the truck, the entire rig sits perfectly level without need for any suspension add-ons and the RV weight is well below the truck's rating.
OTTERCOMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTERCOMET View Post
PERSONAL OPINION - replacing the frame is damned near impossible. Jayco has videos on YouTube that outline their construction process (with emphasis on the best frame in the business). If you watch them, the first thing they do is screw the floor down to the frame - do you think you can get that apart without some major damage.

If you get anything, it is most likely to be REPAIRED.

In support of my opinion please read on.

We purchased a NEW 2017 5th wheel - 24.5 CKTS in June of this year. About 10 days after purchase I discovered significant rust and under-belly enclosure fabric damage. Took photos and visited the dealer and requested that the unit be replaced. Dealership took more photos and referred situation to Jayco (mid July time frame). mid Sept. I was asked to deliver trailer to dealer by Sept. 26th in order for it to be delivered to LCI (Jayco's frame manufacture) for inspection and decision on how to proceed. At one point during the August time frame - trailer frame replacement was suggested - that never happened - the decision was taken to repair - grinding, sand blasting, welding and refinishing the frame and replacing the dual axle under-carriage completely, after which it was returned to the dealer, the week of Nov. 5th and we are now waiting for the dealer to replace the under-belly enclosure.
We asked for a replacement unit - no way - we then asked to have the deal cancelled with a full refund and we would go elsewhere - again - no way. The dealer claims the trailer will be "better than new" when we finally get it back. They also indicated that if we were still not satisfied they would do there best to come up with a DEAL on a 2019 model, using our trailer as a USED trade-in - you know who is going to benefit most from that sort of arrangement - not the consumer.
I am in Ontario Canada. We have a Consumer Protection act and an organization called OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council). Great - unfortunately, neither organization can compel a dealer to do anything - you can lodge a complaint with them but if the dealer doesn't meet your requests, your option is to take the dealer to court - at your cost, if you don't win.
I have learned the hard way that the towable RV industry (at least in Ontario) is unregulated. The only standards a manufacturer is required to meet are the Electrical Code and the Gas Fitters Code. Beyond that it would appear that the only way you will get favorable results is if there happen to be enough similar situations to create a threat to the manufacturer's reputation.
I am retaining all relevant documentation regarding this miss-adventure, just in case I have future problems with our "better than new" frame repaired 5th wheel.

Other than that, we really like like the way Jayco designed and equipped this 5th wheel and it tows like a dream behind our 2018 F150 (5 litre V8 with 10 speed automatic). Trailer and truck appear perfectly matched - with the RV on the truck, the entire rig sits perfectly level without need for any suspension add-ons and the RV weight is well below the truck's rating.

Wow. The 24.5 CKTS was for a while, on the very short list, to ride behind my F150 HDPP. (Is yours a HDPP?) However, I am leaning towards a stick and tin 28RLS right now.

The issue I have is the trailer is still new on the lot, getting lot rot. Built in the middle of 2017, and it is likely to be a 2 year old model by the time the dealer sells it. I did notice he has the worthless (looks to me anyway) bumper mount BBQ bracket, and it is rusty. Makes me wonder what else is also.

What hitch are you running on the 150?

Anything I can look at that will tip me off if the frame has the same issue?

Did something physically crack, or get bent?

Hope it is better than new for you, I bet it should be fine after Lippert went over it. Please let us know how it works out in the future, I wish you the best of luck!
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #14

Quote:
.... We purchased a NEW 2017 5th wheel - 24.5 CKTS in June of this year. About 10 days after purchase I discovered significant rust and under-belly enclosure fabric damage....
Sorry to hear about your trailer issues.

We bought ours used and when I was looking at some units that had been hauled in the winter they were very rusty underneath when only 2-3yrs old. There is no protection at all from rusting on the underside and lots of them get hauled to Ont and other parts during the winter when there is salt on the roads. We go south after Xmas and I wash my underside extensively when we get to the SW and every summer I end up scraping and painting on the frame.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #15

I had a octane that the frame cracked in multiple places right at two years old. Lci sent someone to my dealer and welded up the cracks. Not happy with the fix they sent someone to my house and I told that guy they sent he was wasting his time because I wanted it fixed better then that. I ended up towing it back to Indiana from Pennsylvania where they plated over the frame. That is what I wanted and the most I could get out of them.
mpjclj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #16

This will obviously be interesting.
I will say I will not be towing it out of the dealer or to Jayco.
Its defective in some way and as the buyer I'm not responsible for assisting them in the repair.
As it stands I feel I should be reimbursed as part of the warranty claim for the money I put out to have it diagnosed. The dealer was not capable of that and it was suggested by Jayco to get a second option as I did.
I have no problem with a repair. I am having it reinspected after it is complete before I accept delivery.
Just like any purchase there are just three options and one of them is not living with the issue.
I have not gotten an update as of today.
If I don't hear anything this Friday I will be calling them next week.
Many are watching this process. Many are looking at Jayco for their next purchase.
I'm planning a trip south after the holidays and hoping that things are resolved by then.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
Wow. The 24.5 CKTS was for a while, on the very short list, to ride behind my F150 HDPP. (Is yours a HDPP?) However, I am leaning towards a stick and tin 28RLS right now.

The issue I have is the trailer is still new on the lot, getting lot rot. Built in the middle of 2017, and it is likely to be a 2 year old model by the time the dealer sells it. I did notice he has the worthless (looks to me anyway) bumper mount BBQ bracket, and it is rusty. Makes me wonder what else is also.

What hitch are you running on the 150?

Anything I can look at that will tip me off if the frame has the same issue?

Did something physically crack, or get bent?

Hope it is better than new for you, I bet it should be fine after Lippert went over it. Please let us know how it works out in the future, I wish you the best of luck!
If you are interested in Jayco's own advertising relative to their frames, have a look here:

Truck does not have HDPP option - at least it is not listed.
The BBQ mount appears to be a standard on all Jayco towables.
If you are looking at an off model year (as were we) I suggest that you wear clothes acceptable for crawling around under a trailer and take a garage creeper along with you so you can get under and inspect before you purchase. I didn't - we have owned 4 different trailer over the years and one class A. Never saw a problem like this on any of them. The unit we bought was built in Dec. 2016 and likely hauled to Canada during a blizzard so it got well blasted with road salt and sand - which the Jayco owner's manual indicates should be rinsed off at destination - which likely didn't happen - either that or they left it parked in a salt pond for months.
The hitch for the 5th wheel is a SuperGlide model #2700. Designed for use with a 5th wheel with a short box (ours is not the shortest - it is 5' 6"). Great hitch - automatically slides the 5er to the rear of the truck bed as soon as you turn more than 10 degrees off center either driving forward or reversing.
Our previous trailer was a 23' Surveyor (this is our first 5th wheel) and I used a Reese load leveling hitch with 750 bars - hitch provide great anti sway. Was always impressed with the original ad for Reese - They used an Oldsmobile Toranado - one of the first front wheel drive vehicles and removed the rear wheels from the car and drove it across a parking lot, pulling a fair sized trailer. The torsion bars kept the car and trailer level and removing the rear wheels from the car demonstrated that the hitch was transfering the load of the hitch out along the towing vehicle frame, eliminating the need to beef up the suspension.

Nothing cracked or bent. I got under the trailer because my son suggested I check for surface rust as he had a one year old trailer (different manufacturer) and was experiencing some - which he was keeping in check with some sanding and respraying with rust inhibitor paint. When I got under to look, it wasn't just surface and I also detected spots where original factory welding had blown small holes in the frame (suggests to me that whomever was doing the welding on that particular frame might be a rookie - arc welding will do that if you aren't practiced). While under the trailer I also found several holes and slits in the under-belly fabric. In the video link I provided, Jayco makes a rather big deal about their one piece under belly enclosure. When I sued the word sealed in reference to the under-belly, the dealer was quick to indicate that ir was advertised as ENCLOSED, not SEALED.

Hope this all helps and answers you questions.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #18

Quote:
... The hitch for the 5th wheel is a SuperGlide model #2700. Designed for use with a 5th wheel with a short box (ours is not the shortest - it is 5' 6"). Great hitch - automatically slides the 5er to the rear of the truck bed as soon as you turn more than 10 degrees off center either driving forward or reversing. ...
You have the 6.5' bed then? Wasn't sure by your wording in the ()'s.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyhse View Post
snip....... I have not gotten an update as of today.
If I don't hear anything this Friday I will be calling them next week.......snip
Keep us updated......, and I'm sure you are keeping a log of your RV dealership/Jayco contact.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
You have the 6.5' bed then? Wasn't sure by your wording in the ()'s.
You are correct - my error it is the 6.5' version - SuperCab - or as they used to call it cab and a half.