Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #11

Your pretty much danged either way. Pull and reset them the right way, and they'll deny you if you have problems. Leave it as is, and again they'll deny you.

I can't leave nothing alone. When we show up for a PDI at the dealer, it's usually with a lot of tools, including multi meter, torque wrench and any other tool that works on an RV. (Torque wrench, because I've found fifth wheel pin box bolts hand tight on the lot). At that point, usually the PDI guys walks away and says he'll leave us alone. Every rig we've had goes under the knife for 2 weeks to a month after we get it home, and before we'll use it. There's the PDI, then there's the in my shop Post DI. We take every access panel loose, and if it doesn't have one, we make one to things we want to inspect. Underbelly comes down, delete black flush anti-siphon valve, add shut off valves to every plumbing fixture, pull a majority of the screws, fill with geocel and resecure with same or stainless, change converter if not Progressive Dynamics, add PI EMS, change all faucets to Moen or similar, etc etc. Pretty much disassemble everything you can, and reassemble again. With each RV, the list has gotten longer, as we find something new we didn't check the last time.

Sorry so lengthy. We're new to the brand, but I'm learning more every day about it thanks to all the great contributors here. I hope to keep learning, and hope I can help somebody else as well, or save them a little aggravation.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Your pretty much danged either way. Pull and reset them the right way, and they'll deny you if you have problems. Leave it as is, and again they'll deny you.

I can't leave nothing alone. When we show up for a PDI at the dealer, it's usually with a lot of tools, including multi meter, torque wrench and any other tool that works on an RV. (Torque wrench, because I've found fifth wheel pin box bolts hand tight on the lot). At that point, usually the PDI guys walks away and says he'll leave us alone. Every rig we've had goes under the knife for 2 weeks to a month after we get it home, and before we'll use it. There's the PDI, then there's the in my shop Post DI. We take every access panel loose, and if it doesn't have one, we make one to things we want to inspect. Underbelly comes down, delete black flush anti-siphon valve, add shut off valves to every plumbing fixture, pull a majority of the screws, fill with geocel and resecure with same or stainless, change converter if not Progressive Dynamics, add PI EMS, change all faucets to Moen or similar, etc etc. Pretty much disassemble everything you can, and reassemble again. With each RV, the list has gotten longer, as we find something new we didn't check the last time.

Sorry so lengthy. We're new to the brand, but I'm learning more every day about it thanks to all the great contributors here. I hope to keep learning, and hope I can help somebody else as well, or save them a little aggravation.
John....you rock! I make the same list and correct to MY specs as well. This camper will be around for awhile.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

RVhiker, just curious how hard this original foam seal was to get off once the window is out? I've seen some with a rubber seal, but not a foam. Just curious what I'm up against and if there is any tricks getting the old seal off the window flange.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
RVhiker, just curious how hard this original foam seal was to get off once the window is out? ....
The foam seal is exceedingly sticky. While most of the windows came out of the hole easily, if a window is stuck in place by the sticky, a thin putty knife will help to (gently) pry it out of the hole. I scraped off most of the big hunks of the seals with a putty knife and removed the residue with paint thinner; I let the paint thinner soak in for just a bit, and then rub off the mess with with a rag. Really not a big deal at all.

I used some thin strips of wood between the inside window frame and the foam of the wall to (hopefully) keep the window in the center of the hole; tightening the screws of the interior window ring helps to hold it in place, too. I used a reversible drill to remove the screws, but screwed them back in by hand to make sure I did not strip the aluminum holes. Before I removed the ring, a applied strips of duct tape to the outside of the window to insure it could not fall out of the hole onto the ground.

After the window has set in place for a while and the butyl quits oozing, I put a cap of caulk over the top of the window and down the sides as another seal.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #15

Good enough. Sounds like cleaning the old seal off is the worst part. Everything else you mentioned goes along with what I was thinking. Think I'll try the small kitchen window first to see how it goes.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #16

Looking for feedback / opinions. I got the Jay Flight home today. All looks very good. Can't complain a bit. I want to pull the windows and reset them, but, don't really feel like it right now. Debating the gamble to leave it as is and do it around April, or when it warms up. Also wondering, if anybody has done a top / side seal on the frameless windows as a preventative measure?

I hadn't heard much about people resetting these windows until recently. On our cedar creek, we had the same windows, and sealed the top and sides with geocel proflex.

Right now, they look good, and the foam seal is visible and compressed, but, just not sure how good that seal is. Can't win for losing in this debate with myself.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #17

Your sig pic has the rig indoors. Can't get much better "sealed" than that!

Congrats on the bunkhouse!
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #18

True. Guess you could say the thing is in purgatory. It's been cleaned and put there until we deem it suitable for use, or good to go. LOTS of sealing, redoing, fixing and so on until we'll take it back out of the shop. Same with every rig we've owned. Hadn't had a factory satisfy us yet, so, we buy, we fix to our likings.

The window thing just plain ticks me off the way they're done. Hope Jayco takes notes from Open Range, since they own them now. Thinking that hot seal method via machine is a way better way to go. No dry fit crap there.