Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2022, 04:45 AM   #1

Freezing in Florida

I’m new to the RV world so try not to laugh too hard.
I bought a clean 2016 Jay Flight 26BHS with the idea of using it as my temporary residence while our home is being built.
I came to Florida twenty years ago from the Illinois/Wisconsin border. I have two 30lb tank propane system and burned through one tank in two days with daytime temps around 60 degrees and nighttime temps around 35 degrees. It is 3am local time and I am nursing the second with an indoor electric space heater. I can’t find any leaks, but also can’t believe I’m using that much propane.
The calculation comes out to 32 hours, but that’s constant use.
Any ideas?
Smoke.Eater42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:42 AM   #2
Site Team

I say you have a leak unless your thermostat is set for 90 degrees! Invest in a propane detector from Amazon. It's a great tool that will pay for itself in time. In the meanwhile get some soapy water and brush it on the connectors around the tank. You smell propane if you are used to the smell. Your detector will go off it it's leaking inside. Be careful!

Make sure your outside hatches are closed and secure.

We were in central Fl. last January and it was below freezing for several nights.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:42 AM   #3

I have a 284BHS, ours has the twin 20 gallon setup.the last time we had it out it was 60 for daytime high and low 40s at night. We didn't even use one full 20 pound tank for the weekend. I would double check for leaks. Is the furnace cycling or running non stop?
Madanna67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:43 AM   #4

No interior leaks. I did however, find leaks at the tank connectors. Being a former firefighter, I was needing to change my pants on the way to get two new pigtails.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke.Eater42 View Post
No interior leaks. I did however, find leaks at the tank connectors. Being a former firefighter, I was needing to change my pants on the way to get two new pigtails.
Hope that works! Let us know.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:35 AM   #6

If you haven't done it already go to big box store and buy some reflectix bubble insulation. Cut to fit the windows.
Does your trailer have the enclosed underbelly? If not get it closed up.
Corroplast is what they use.
Ours had the enclosed heated underbelly.
I opened it up and added 6 inch fiberglass batts and a layer of reflectix.
Floor now stays warm when using furnace. It also helps the AC when needed. I sealed up the Corroplast all around as well

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:39 PM   #7

Yes we’re already closed up. I like your idea on the reflectix for the windows.
I used it on my well house as an interior wrap over the fiberglass. I know it works well.
Thanks
Old 12-19-2022, 01:42 PM   #8

Thanks to all, had to drive 50 miles to camping world, but went ahead and replaced the regulator and pigtails.
Took about three hours with travel time included and I now have two full tanks no leaks and will see tonight how we hold up to something w low temps tonight.
Will let y’all know!
Thanks again!!!
Old 12-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #9

If it helps to gauge your usage, we’ve camped in weather that cold or colder with 20-pound tanks and didn’t even use up one in over two weeks. That was with the furnace, WH and cooking.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
If it helps to gauge your usage, we’ve camped in weather that cold or colder with 20-pound tanks and didn’t even use up one in over two weeks. That was with the furnace, WH and cooking.
Thanks LuckyDuck, I grew up in the Midwest and we heated 2100 square feet for the entire winter, many days under zero, with a 500 gallon tank (true fill is 400 gallons).
I could imagine using up both of my tanks in only a couple of days. As I stated earlier, found the leaks yes leakS!
I’m thinking 2x30 should be good for about 4+ weeks as we keep the heat set at 68 degrees. Use the electric WH and rarely cook since we are building on a plot within a large family reserve with family all around in walking distance.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke.Eater42 View Post
Thanks LuckyDuck, I grew up in the Midwest and we heated 2100 square feet for the entire winter, many days under zero, with a 500 gallon tank (true fill is 400 gallons).
I could imagine using up both of my tanks in only a couple of days. As I stated earlier, found the leaks yes leakS!
I’m thinking 2x30 should be good for about 4+ weeks as we keep the heat set at 68 degrees. Use the electric WH and rarely cook since we are building on a plot within a large family reserve with family all around in walking distance.
My friend many years ago was having a home built so he stayed in his camper in illinois. He went through a 100 pound bottle every week, but that was cold weather. Chicago people in Florida with that weather are wearing shorts and sleeping under the stars. Lol
Old 12-19-2022, 06:30 PM   #12

I think it also depends on you're heating needs. If you are maintaining 68 degrees and have the furnace on all day you will burn fuel. In those temps we heat the rv up before bed and shut it down over night. Back on in the morning for coffee and usually off the rest of the day.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:43 PM   #13

Is the slide out on your trailer sealed up good? If it's not, that could be letting a lot of cold air in.

If it were me I'd be using a couple of electric space heaters as much as possible. With those temps they should provide most if not all the heat you need.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:34 PM   #14

I stayed in a 27' trailer with no slide for 9 months while building a duplex myself.
During the winter with snow on the ground a 30 lb bottle would last around 5 days. Thermostat set around 65 degrees or so, 60 degrees at night. We didn't use an electric space heater because propane was cheaper then. I would now, realizing that during the period the central heat (ducted) isn't running there will be no heat to your plumbing under the floor.

As earlier said, reflectix in the windows, pillow in your ceiling vents, reflectix in your A/C opening if not related to the heat system. Try to minimize drafts.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #15

After replacing the pigtails on my tanks and the regulator we are sitting happy and warm.
Still on the first tank, even with wind chill of 10 degrees in sunny Florida.
Thanks to all!
Old 12-25-2022, 07:35 PM   #16

I'm surprised you can't keep the RV warm with just an electric heater. We routinely camp down into the 30's, used to camp below freezing before kids, and a little electric heater or two was PLENTY to keep a 32' camper with slide warm.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote