Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

Fresh Water Pump Cycling

We have a new White Hawk 28RBKS, and just had our first weekend in it where we didn't have a city water hook-up at the site. Using water from the fresh water tank, the water pump sort of 'cycles' when running water through the bathroom or the kitchen faucet (and it does so on either hot or cold).

The pump runs continuously (as I would expect, normally) when flushing/filling the toilet. It only has the 'cycling' type operation when using the faucets.

Do I have air in the system somewhere, or...??? Any ideas?

We're under warranty, but I'd rather tackle it myself if it's an easy fix and I'm doing something wrong, in deference to dragging it to the dealer...

Thanks!
RIP Miss Sophie) rescued hounds
Fastalker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #2

That's how mine works too. It'll run full blast constant when I'm using anything except the bathroom faucet. When I'm using that faucet, it will cycle off and on.

I always just assumed that the flow was somewhat less from that fixture, so the pump would cycle because of the pressure demand. Pump would get the line up to specified pressure, then cut out, then faucet would relieve pressure so pump would kick back on. Keeps doing that until the faucet is closed, then pump gets line up to pressure again and goes silent until another fixture is opened.

Bathroom faucet is the only fixture it does this on.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #3

but now...

Now that you've heard it you'll may want to consider doing a few things to quiet it. Is your pump located somewhere that it can be reached?

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Thank you for the reply, Bob; to clarify, the pump cycles at a rate of about 1 sec bursts, and the pump stops immediately after the faucet is closed. It sure seems like it's hard on the pump to me. Our 2012 Keystone RV ran the pump continuously whenever any water supply was opened, so this pump seems to be operating inappropriately. Following your reply, I might call the dealer and find out if this is normal...
Old 09-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #5

The pump is really easy to access; it's located in the kitchen island and we've already had the cover off of it to check for a leak.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #6

Sounds like you need to install an accumulator. It's like a pressure tank in a house, if you're not sure what I'm getting at. Even a small one like the ShurFlo will reduce rapid cycling of the pump by means of a rubber bladder and compressed air on one side. This mod stopped rapid pump cycling, provided pressure spike relief, and quieted down the pump a little bit. I can get about 2 or 3 cups of water out of the faucet before the pump comes on, and it runs for about 5 seconds at a time (minimum) to recharge.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

What Skybound said! Camping World or Amazon has small accumulators for under $40. They make a nice difference.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #8

It's normal and an accumulator will help for sure but there is no harm to the pump due to the on/off cycles. It just means your pump is capable of pumping more water than the particular faucet is requesting.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #9

You guys are the best!

Thank you for putting my mind at ease about this pump. I will definitely be installing the accumulator, and thank you all!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #10

We have a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk 23MBH and ours does the same thing if we only open faucet halfway or less, if we open it full it stays on, I tried adjusting pressure switch, seems to help a little but it is a touchy adjustment
Hchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #11

Accumulator and silencing kit as well as some personal mods to help with the noise are on my shorter mod list. Just haven't gotten there yet. We really don't use it a lot; mostly just when we're on the road, or if DW needs water while she's setting up inside before I have the city water connected or after I have the city water disconnected during tear-down. If we were boondocking and/or using the pump all the time, it would be much higher priority on the mod list.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #12

Overdue update

Thank you to everyone for the suggestion of the accumulator for the water pump. It has significantly reduced the cycling operation, and has considerably quieted the pump. It was a low dollar fix, and well worth the money!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #13

Mine was cycling when I bought the trailer and I looked everywhere for a leak or air coming in .... then looked at a video on adjusting the pressure switch on pump ... turn of a screw and voila no more cycling and the pump works fine... It was just trying to hard to build undue pressure in to the system
Old 07-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #14

There are pumps that have a bypass feature that shunts some pump output back to input at low flow. That feature is suppose to reduce or eliminate the need for an accumulator. We have that type of pump in our 5th wheel. It does work as advertised. Our pump is a Shur-flo 4008.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
Mine was cycling when I bought the trailer and I looked everywhere for a leak or air coming in .... then looked at a video on adjusting the pressure switch on pump ... turn of a screw and voila no more cycling and the pump works fine... It was just trying to hard to build undue pressure in to the system
Cycling when all faucets are closed is a different issue than cycling with a faucet open. The OP was talking about cycling when a faucet is open.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #16

Do you have a link to the video showing how to adjust the pump ours cycles for a second every 30 minutes or so and there are no signs of leaks anywhere!
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastalker64 View Post
Thank you to everyone for the suggestion of the accumulator for the water pump. It has significantly reduced the cycling operation, and has considerably quieted the pump. It was a low dollar fix, and well worth the money!
Good deal!

I finally got mine installed, and I had the same results you did. No more cycling, no more jack-hammering. Just smooth, even, quiet and consistent operation all the time. Absolutely LOVE it!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV

Tags
fresh, pump, water