Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Fresh water tank

Help! We are literally new to this camping world and pretty much know nothing lol. Our clean water tank keeps leaking from the input area. Don’t know if it was from the altitude or what. My husband was looking for a shut off valve but he couldn’t find it. It leaked almost the entire time we were there (camping). We ended up using the tank and not the water supply from the camp site because it stopped the water from flowing out.
GinaVelarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #2

We all need more information out here in the forum world to help you. What model and year trailer do you have? Which water inlet are you speaking about? Is it the gravity-fed where you pour water in from a water source or is it the one that you hook your freshwater hose directly to the side of the camper? Thanks!

Jerry

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
FW-tanks expands when filling. The FW-tank intake has No valves. The last 10 years most RV mfg's install 2 overflow hoses from the top of the tank down. On older models only one hose went to the water-inlet vent. When the tank is full (and expanded) the single air/overflow line may run for awhile. The double overflow lines may overflow when travelling.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #4

Thank you, it’s a Jayco 2016 174 BH. Yes it is the part that you fill, not the one that you connect from the “city”. It seems to do it when we are all set up and connected to the city water supply. Let me see if I can snap a picture.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #5

Jayco 2016 fresh water tank

I’m not sure if the pictures show. I’m using my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
28FE0AF7-7731-475A-9CCB-C5D2C863BBC8.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #6

So with a filled FW tank while at the campsite, you connect to the city water and the cap area of the gravity fed area to the tank begins to leak? Do I understand that correctly? Do you use a water regulator when hooked to the city water? I wonder, do you shut the valve to the pump that feeds from the FW tank when connected to the city water? If not, you may be backfilling the tank through the pump and causing the FW tank to overfill. However, then your overflow tube should leak as well. Does that make sense?

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

I don’t we closed the valve. I’ll let my husband know, he will have a better understanding of it. I literally am a very visual person. Where (so I know) would the value be located? The one under the trailer? Or is it somewhere else?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #8

From the photo you used, it looks like you are filling the FW Holding tank and not using your water filling from your City Water Fill.(If that's make since).
FLASHY35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #9

It's located by the water pump. I'm not familiar with your model so start by looking under the sink or under the seating area in a cabinet for the water pump (if you don't know where it's at). Once there, you'll see an inline valve. This should be closed when your water source is not the FW tank but instead city water. Otherwise, your water may feed right through the pump (backwards) back into the FW tank. It will then force it's way out the overflow tube and the gravity cap if the overflow tube can't handle the volume. This would be the scenario if the pump has no check valve or a faulty one.

You also didn't mention if you use a water regulator when hooked to city water. They're about $8-10 at Walmart. Get one. They simply hook to your water line and keep the pressure around 40-50 pound. Your water pump is usually runs around 45 pounds of pressure.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #10

I apologize, we do have a water regulator. Thank you very much for your time. It really helped. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #11

Hello and thank you, the photo is to show where the water is leaking from. I had watched many YouTube videos and none talk about water coming from, just going in and how too.