Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank

Hi all! I'm a newbie, so please excuse my ignorance. I appreciate your patience.

We purchased a 2010 JayFlight 26BH a few weeks ago and have taken it out twice. After some bonehead struggles, I finally figured out (I think!) that I needed to open the overflow (?) plugs in order to fill up the fresh water tanks without it pressurizing and taking forever to fill. As I was filling it up, I noticed water dripping on the outside at the top of the tank (see photo). The tank wasn't near full, so I don't think it could've been overflowing; instead, I'm wondering if the pipe/hose that leads into the tank is leaking.

So my questions are:
1. Am I filling the water tanks correctly?
2. How do I know if I have a leak in the tank and/or the hose vs. me just doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20210525_183307.jpg  
Utah2010Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #2

Welcome aboard! The tanks should not pressurize, so I suspect the former owner has modified tank overflow with a valve of some type. This is a common mod, as some campers have an issue with water syphoning out of the tank via the over flow.

From some online images I found, it looks like you have a gravity fill port right above your wheels.

In theory, all you need to do is open the fill port shove the hose in, and turn on the water. I use something like this Camco water tank filler. It fits in the port better, and I can turn the water valve wide open (most of the time), and do other things as the tank fills.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...32597529&psc=1

Pending on the water pressure it takes 5-10 minutes to fill my tank (38 gallons??).

Crawl back under your TT, look for at least one hose, open to atmosphere (factory). I suspect you will find it inboard of the drive side wheels, probably over the rear axle. Again the previous owner has made changes, so it might have a valve on it. Open that valve when filling, using, or draining the tank. You do not want to pressurize the tank or implode it. Again I suspect the previous owner added the valve to keep the tank from syphoning, usually happens right after you fill the tank and then drive.

The previous owner might have placed the valve inside the TT. Look for the water pump and fill location inside the TT, it will be hidden, from the image I found online, I bet it is under the frig, just like mine. Could be behind a false panel. Look to see if they added the valve in that location. I expect you will also find your winterizing Antifreeze valves their too.

Leaking water; never good! If you pressurized the system, hopefully it is nothing more than water leaking past the simple hose fittings at the tanks fill/overflow connections. On my TT, I can see those items from inside at the water pump.

Good Luck!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. There are two capped tubes (see photo) right next to the low point drain. Once I opened these, the tank filled up as I would expect and there was little to no backflowing water. I'm not sure if both of these are connected to the tank or if one connects to something else.
Attached Thumbnails
20210526_104451.jpg  
Old 05-26-2021, 01:05 PM   #4

I have 2 overflows just like that. I put a quarter turn hose shut off valve on each. Much easier than removing and putting the caps back on each time. Both are overflows for the freshwater tank.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #5

Thanks! That's a great idea.

So am I correct to assume that I need to open one or both each time I fill up the tanks?
Old 05-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah2010Jayco View Post
Thanks! That's a great idea.

So am I correct to assume that I need to open one or both each time I fill up the tanks?
Yep, open them while you are filling the tank. You might get by with out having to open them while at camp using the tank with a gravity fill port. But keep an eye on it. Don't want to implode your tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:00 PM   #7

I have the same trailer as you, a 2011 26BH. I assume yours has dual fresh water tanks like mine.

If so, you need to fill them slowly. If you crank the water hose flow on so it's too strong, the first tanks fills and pressurizes before water can transfer from that tank to the second tank.

It usually takes me 20 minutes or so to fill my tanks. Their are dual overflow tubes on the side of the trailer opposite the fill port. I open both and fill the tank. Water will run out of the hose connected to the tank that filling first, and it takes a while after that for the second tank to fill completely.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #8

It looks like its just one, single tank.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #9

That's strange. I guess there were different 26BH designs within the same model year.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #10

We have a 2019 Jayco 264BHW. According to the Jayco website, a 2019 Rocky Mountain Edition of the 264BH has two 42 gallon fresh water tanks. I suppose other editions of the 264BH only have one FW tank. Each tank will have its own overflow tube. So you probably have 2 tanks, that's why you have 2 capped tubes.

I agree with the other post respondents, when filling, using and draining the FW tank(s), you have to remove the caps to allow the air pressure to equalize. If you don't, at best filling will be extremely slow and possibly messy. At worst, the tanks can implode which will cause a catastrophic failure.