Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

Fresh water tank drain

Have a 27rls for 2 years now. Always hooked up to shore water up until now. We have plans to do some dry camping. So I did the bleach to sanitize the tank to clean. Then to drain the tank at the low point drain hose and left the house. When I came back the tank says it is still full. What am I doing wrong?
Sandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #2

There is also a tank drain valve. The low point valve generally drain the water in the lines to the various spigots. The tank has its own. As an added note. To get a more complete (and quick) drain of the lines, open all the spigots to allow air in the lines you are attempting to drain.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

Is it still full or is the sensor bad?

Put your hose into the fill and see if it takes a tank of water or just a little to top it up. You need to rinse after cleaning with bleach anyway.

When it is full put a bucket under the drain and calculate how long it will take to drain. My little 20 gallon takes more than an hour as the hose is very small.

Don't forget to rinse out the lines while you are doing the rest. Good chance to test your water pump and lines.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #4

The water in your fresh water tank needs to be drained by using the tank's drain valve(s). The low point drain is to drain the water lines.

On our JayFlight 27RLS, the freshwater tank drain valves are on the trailer frame, between the rear steps and the tire.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #5

Finally found it. It was located opposite side of water tank.

Thanks
Sandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

Draining the disinfected fresh water tank on the ground is a terrible waste of water. I have always pumped this water right into my gray and black tanks and let it sit there for a couple of days. This could help clean those tanks. I then drain those tanks and pump the fresh water rinse into the tanks again.

Gets the maximum bang for the water buck and you are flushing all tanks.

I have to admit that I have a sewer dump setup at my house which makes this job easy. You can't dump the gray/black tanks on the ground. If you don't have easy access to a sewer drain, you can pump the disinfected water into the holding tanks and then drain them at a campsite. They don't have to be full as the sloshing will help clean them.
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Draining the disinfected fresh water tank on the ground is a terrible waste of water. I have always pumped this water right into my gray and black tanks and let it sit there for a couple of days. This could help clean those tanks. I then drain those tanks and pump the fresh water rinse into the tanks again.

Gets the maximum bang for the water buck and you are flushing all tanks.

I have to admit that I have a sewer dump setup at my house which makes this job easy. You can't dump the gray/black tanks on the ground. If you don't have easy access to a sewer drain, you can pump the disinfected water into the holding tanks and then drain them at a campsite. They don't have to be full as the sloshing will help clean them.
I dislike wasting water, too. I've drained the bleach solution from the fresh water tanks into a funnel and through my white hoses. The hoses are then drained, coiled and stored with some of the bleach solution in them. I then run some water through them when at a campground.

We don't have a sewer dump at our house. but I may give your method a try this year.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote