Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #1

Fresh water tank full no water

I am camping for the first time this year. Fresh water tank has water. Pump runs when I turn on water. No water. Had camper professionally winterized, thinking maybe a valve somewhere is turned off. No valves I can find anywhere. Jayco Whitehawk, 2016, Travel trailer.

Appreciate any help!
CarlSpacklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:04 AM   #2

Look at the pump. There is a valve used there to winterize. My guess is you give it a 90° twist and the water will work. The valve handle should be inline and not perpendicular to the line for it to flow or be "on."

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:12 AM   #3

Thank you. You are probably right, where is the dang pump located? How do I access it?
Old 05-16-2020, 06:22 AM   #4

Turn it on and follow the sound. Mine is underneath the kitchen cabinet tucked back in the corner behind a drawer.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #5

You may have to turn it on to locate it by sound, then it is probably hid behind a panel that may need to be removed to get to valves. You will probably have a hose connected to valve that goes to nothing and that is usually the valve that will need to be turned to get water out of tank. Hope that helps would like to be more specific but sometimes it just doesn't make sense where they install and also can change location on same models.
Jolvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #6

Thank you. Found it, under the sink, removed 2 screws to get to it. So turned both valves and tried everything but nothing. Pump runs and runs but acts like it’s not getting any pressure or like there is just no water in tank but there is. Can’t see anything that looks wrong ��
Old 05-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #7

Water heater having anything to do with this??
Old 05-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #8

It will take some time to fill the hot water heater(size dependent). I alway hook to city water to fill my heater before I fill the tank for this reason.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #9

Seems that you should only have to turn the one valve that has the hose that just hangs out there. I am thinking one comes from the hose then one valve goes to the rest of the camper. Have you tried to just close the valve from the hose and open the one that goes to rest of unit. And yes the water heater will take 6 gallons to fill. I assume you have opened faucets to see about flow. Are low point drains closed. Dang gotta be something easy and next suggestion is are you at a campground and can you check with someone close by? If we were there I would offer up help.
Jolvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #10

One hose goes to nothing, this is the hose they stick into antifreeze jugs to winterize. Turn it’s handle so it’s closed and not sucking air (perpendicularly). One hose should disappear down into the belly where the freshwater tank is. Turn that valve so it’s running parallel with the hose allowing water to be sucked up from the belly by the pump. If your water heater was empty it will take awhile to fill it’s 6 gallon capacity so the pump will just run till it’s full. Make sure the drain plug is screwed back into the water heater so your not just pumping water onto the ground outside.

Even if the water heater is filling you should still get some sputtering and water coming out of the faucets as the system purges the air from the lines. Go around and slowly open each faucet so the air can be pushed out of all the lines. If your still not seeing water come out and the pump is running then you’ve got a kink in a hose, a stuck valve, an empty tank, or a leak somewhere.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #11

Thank you, helpful. Air is coming out and a little sputtering of water, not much. I may be the water heater is trying to fill. Will let the pump go for a few minutes and see. Thanks again, hopefully that does it.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #12

Just wanted to provide an update in case someone else ever has this issue. It appears the problem was a plastic cap on the water pump that holds a little metal filter. That cap was broken and therefore there was no pressure to allow the pump to pull out the water. I will replace that cap with a new ones and that should do it.

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpacklet View Post
Just wanted to provide an update in case someone else ever has this issue. It appears the problem was a plastic cap on the water pump that holds a little metal filter. That cap was broken and therefore there was no pressure to allow the pump to pull out the water. I will replace that cap with a new ones and that should do it.

Thanks for the update! We like to hear the outcomes of problems and like you said, it could help future campers
Old 05-30-2020, 12:38 PM   #14

There, I just learned something for future reference. Thanks, great info on this forum.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #15

Plastic Cap

In the future maybe that cap should be removed when you are finished winterizing
Micikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:

I was going to say check that cap. They are prone to getting loose & water spilling on floor, lost pressure, etc. Glad you found the problem.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #17
CAG

Quote:

Those will freeze and crack if the lines have ANY water in them at all in freezing temps and they are not insulated.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #18
Site Team

That's why it's a good idea to fill the lines with antifreeze.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
That's why it's a good idea to fill the lines with antifreeze.
So, if I always fill the lines with AF when I winterize, I should never have to worry about this cap breaking from water freeze, right?
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #20
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
So, if I always fill the lines with AF when I winterize, I should never have to worry about this cap breaking from water freeze, right?
Never say never.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote