Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Overflow

I know this topic has been about beat to death, and everyone has their fixes to prevent losing all their water. But I wonder about another possibility.

This is my filler hole. I have had other RVs that never had the overflow hoses and I just filled until water spewed out the fill hole. I'd then screw on the cap and head out and never had an issue. Isn't the screen you see in the photo a vent for the fresh water tank? Why is that not sufficient for venting the tank? Especially when it was on my other RV's, or it had to have been since it is all they had. It's not like we use a fast supply of water that requires any heavy venting.

I'd like opinions, surely someone else has thought about this and tried it. If not I'll be the guinea pig and give it a whirl. I'm tired of plugging and unplugging the so-called overflow hoses. It just shouldn't be necessary.

I know, some of you think the design engineers are all it and everything is perfectly engineered, but sometimes I wonder.

I'd like opinions.

Thanks.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #2

Exactly what I wondered, I mean the overflow comes out of the tank makes loop and goes back down to the floor but you can see that vent you are talking about.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #3

My old camper had an external fill a bit like yours. It had a small vent hole next to the large filler hole. Never had a problem.

Newer fill systems use a direct pressurized hose to the tank. My tank has 3 overfill hoses (maybe 2 overfill and 1 vent) that will suck the water from the tank. Learned that the hard way.

My second and last fix was to extend the 3 hoses up into my outside shower/fill bay. I put valves on them but don't need to close them to prevent siphoning out. Getting the hoses above tank level was my solution. I am actually able to completely fill the tank, more than before. No problems whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Tank Vents.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #4

Yes, that screen covers the vent hole. On mine, it leads to a clear hose that connects to a fitting on top of the tank.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:01 PM   #5

When you have the external fill and vent like pictured you won't lose water while driving. But most Jayco motorhomes, and many of their towables, do not have that gravity fill. You fill the tank in those rigs via a valve arrangement that directs water from the City inlet to the tank. Because they are plumbed that way, those rigs have multiple overflows to prevent the tank from splitting apart when full when full city water pressure is coming into a full tank. Those same overflow lines allow air back into the tank as water is drawn out by the water pump. Without the vents the tank will eventually collapse. The vent on a gravity fill is the screened vent/overflow visible above.

When a motorhome or towable has the fill from the city inlet there is a tendency for the water to siphon out of the water tank while driving. Some lose half of their tank while driving. I was one who it used to happen to. But I designed and installed an air gap manifold that "breaks" the siphon effect. But it still allows the original overflow capacity if needed, and it still allows air to reenter the tank as the water pump empties the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01531.jpg   Vacuum break - Hot water return manifold.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Interesting, I have never heard about this. I don't understand the hot water line's part in this solution.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Interesting, I have never heard about this. I don't understand the hot water line's part in this solution.
I actually has nothing to do with the siphoning problem. I installed a hot water recirculation system on my Seneca to prevent wasting water down the drain waiting for it to get hot. So I have a solenoid valve controlled by a switch with a 30-second timer that takes water from my furthest hot water fixture (shower) and directs it back to the fresh water tank via my manifold. Hit a switch, solenoid opens for 30 seconds, hot water flows back to tank, instant hot water at all fixtures!

Red pipe in installed manifold picture in prior post is the hot line coming back to dump into tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot water recirculation solenoid valve.jpg   Switch panel and indicator light.jpg  
Old 08-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
When you have the external fill and vent like pictured you won't lose water while driving.
Understand, I have the external fill and vent I posted a photo of. I ALSO have two overflow lines under my trailer that start spewing out water when the fresh water tank is almost full. I have learned to plug them with rubber stopples (like rubber corks) before leaving home or a 1/3 of my water will syphon out. I don't care to remove the BS covering under my camper to rework the overfill hoses unless I have to. I'd like to cap them for the summer and just use the vent in the photo. If that would work?

I realize some people have access to their overfill hoses, I don't. I wish I did. Mine stick down less than an inch below the undercarriage covering.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
Understand, I have the external fill and vent I posted a photo of. I ALSO have two overflow lines under my trailer that start spewing out water when the fresh water tank is almost full. I have learned to plug them with rubber stopples (like rubber corks) before leaving home or a 1/3 of my water will syphon out. I don't care to remove the BS covering under my camper to rework the overfill hoses unless I have to. I'd like to cap them for the summer and just use the vent in the photo. If that would work?

I realize some people have access to their overfill hoses, I don't. I wish I did. Mine stick down less than an inch below the undercarriage covering.
On my two prior Class C units I only had the gravity fill/vent arrangement. On both units I could see the tanks inside cabinets and the only connections to the tanks were the larger fill line from outside, the vent that also connected back to the fill, and the outlet to the pump. I never lost water and never had any issues. So why Jayco felt you needed extra vent/overflow lines escapes me, unless there is a way to send water from the city inlet and they felt it necessary to add them to prevent over-pressurizing the tank.