Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Overflow and Size

I have two questions about the fresh water tank.

We have had our 32BHDS for a year now. On a camping trip over last summer, I noticed that the next morning after setting up camp and showering that we were already low on water (ran out during shower). We fill up the tank at nearest gas station to final destination in the mountains. So how could we be low on water in less than 24 hours? Then a couple of weeks ago we went out for Spring Break. I followed the hubby after filling the water tank. He was losing water for the next hour on the road. And looking at the tank meter it said we were at 1/3 on the Fresh. So DH was thinking of putting some kind of plug in the overflow drain so we don't lose all our water. Is this a good idea or is there something better we can do so we don't lose the water from all the bouncing around.

Also, the 2008 BHDS only has a 45 gal Fresh tank. Our 29BHS we had prior to this had a 60 gal fresh. How easy is it to change out the tank on the BHDS to a bigger one and is there enough room? 45 gallons really does not go very far when you are boon-docking and you lose at least half of it on the way to camp.
harleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #2

I had the same issue, and just extended the overflow hose to the propane quick coupler bracket and added a valve. Now I open the valve and fill the tank until it overflows and then close the valve to prevent spilling while traveling. Some people have mentioned that the pump can cause the tank to collapse when using water if you dont open the valve again, but that I have never had an issue. There is a small breather next to the filler that will allow the tank to breathe.
On the X213 the tank is only 26gal, so we usually carry a few 6gal water jugs with us as backup.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #3

There is probably a siphon effect set up by how the overflow hose is routed and that's what's draining the tank.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #4

See here for solutions. Note: there is a lot of denial of the problem in the first two pages, but later pages show solutions. Installing valves on your overflow tubes is the answer.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ter+tank+pukes
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodandmir View Post
I had the same issue, and just extended the overflow hose to the propane quick coupler bracket and added a valve. Now I open the valve and fill the tank until it overflows and then close the valve to prevent spilling while traveling. Some people have mentioned that the pump can cause the tank to collapse when using water if you dont open the valve again, but that I have never had an issue.There is a small breather next to the filler that will allow the tank to breathe.
On the X213 the tank is only 26gal, so we usually carry a few 6gal water jugs with us as backup.
Rodandmir: The breather may be hooked up on your TT, but on some it is not always hooked up. Since the overflow tubes also act as a breather vent, I think the factory doesn't always hook up the normal vent. On mine, the gravity fill and breather element are visible on the inside from the cabinet below the kitchen sink. Sure enough, the hose to the breather element is not even there. Only vents through the overflow tubes. Seems goofy that the factory wouldn't hook it up (especially with the leakage problem with the overflow tubes) but that's what happened with my TT.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote