Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #1

Fresh water tank overflow drain plugs ???

Would like to be able to plug or shut off the FW tank overflow drains when traveling on the JF 26RLS.
I know someone has already done this. So some input on how and what was used would be nice
Mike
Mikeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rb-drain/67611

just put these on
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #3

Nbhybrid gave a good, simple answer.
Just BE SURE to open that valve when you are filling, so the tanks can vent air. The standard vent may not actually be hooked up when there is an overflow tube, which can also serve as the vent.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Nbhybrid gave a good, simple answer.
Just BE SURE to open that valve when you are filling, so the tanks can vent air. The standard vent may not actually be hooked up when there is an overflow tube, which can also serve as the vent.
The one on my new White Hawk isn't. It's plugged.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

Ace hardware has a lot of rubber plugs to choose from. I would leave the vent open when filling the tank. The tank is not designed to hold pressure.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #6

Check to see if your tank has a dedicated vent line in addition to the two overflow lines. Mine does. It runs parallel to the fill tube. I still always fill the tank with the overflow lines unplugged so I can see when water starts to come out, indicating the tank is full.

I`m assuming you are wanting to block the two lines to avoid losing your fresh water while driving to a site. I found a 6 inch piece of silicone tubing which has an outside diameter equal to the inside diameter of the overflow tubes. It was from an old hand pump. I slipped one tube inside the other and put a hose clamp on so it will never come out. When my tank is full and I am ready to travel, I just slip the other end into the second overflow tube and they are linked together. The plus side is the linking tube is bright red so it helps me to not forget!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #7

I joined both overflows and extended to the rear of my TT with a shutoff valve. Found this stopped the wasps from plugging the overflows and also lets me stop the draining of the WF tank while driving. My TT also has the breather at the fill connection.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
X2. That's what I did
Old 09-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #9

what I'm thinking

My two drain hoses are right above the forward axle, behind the wheel, so hard to see. They also are about 8" long, so make for good siphon. I'm thinking of cutting them short and putting in elbows and having them run to the side of the RV right below the filler. This would make it obvious when you're full and not need shut offs that need to open when using water and closed otherwise. I've gotten where I see a trickle from them and stop filling anyway.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #10

Here's something I just installed, and going to try.....
From Home Depot, I got 2 small sprinkler heads for an in-ground watering system. These are meant for watering shrubs, and shoot sideways with a very small opening. The small hole may help reduce the amount of suction on the vent when travelling. They are plastic and light weight, so won't put stress on the drain tube. This method appealed to me because the drain is not fully blocked.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Bump, have had this problem for last 2 years and it really became an issue on the last couple of trips to state parks where had to climb and descend some hills to get from water fill spot to campsite and lost a lot of water before arriving at un-serviced site and even after parking, water continued to siphon out.

Thanks NBhybrid for the link to the solution, as they say, a link to a picture is still worth a thousand words a year after the link is posted.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote