Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #21

Alright.
I ran out of water on Friday evening, I filled on Thursday night.
I used the valves I replaced I off of my pump to plug the overflow hoses.
I closed the valves, filled it, until it flowed out the fill port.
The guage said FULL!!
Went and ran some errands, came back and noticed water under my unit, crawled under it was just condensation, but, the tanks had almost sagged out their cradles!!!
WAY too full!!! Opened the valves, to let the pressure off of the tanks, pushed the tanks back into the cradles, seem to be ok.
I will fill my tanks, close the valves drive to my spot, then open them at the site.

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #22

oh no

sounds like you had the over fill valve closed that you put on your over fill hoses your self ? I talked to my service guy today , from the place that I bought my fb22 trailer .He told me that if you put a shut off valve on your over flow hoses ,you must make sure you always open them up before filling , because there is a check valve in your water filling assembly that will stop most of your water from coming back out of your filler hole. . he said that you could have your tank fall right out if you put to much water in you fresh water tanks, when your valves are closed. .
donnymac250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #23

I also had the same problem on my maiden voyage with my new jayco... i have two overfill lines. I also lost 1/3 of my water dry camping an hour away from the nearest town...RRRRRR.... I plugged one line and put a pet**** in the other... i leave pet**** open while i fill it.. .once the water starts to come out i can stop filling, close the pet**** to contain the water... if its a short drive without stressing the water tank brackets too much i will continue to fill it with another ummm probably 5-10 gallons or so. (this probably exceeds the wieght limit of the brackets!!) then i am full when i arrive at the destination.. I always try to fill the tank at the nearest possible spot to the camping area as water is really heavy which causes you to burn more fuel to haul it when you could fill near the site. hope this helps.... I am suprised with all the jayco owners why they would not explain this at the sale!!! I hate that... its obviously a common problem.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #24

the pet**** means a 1/4" half turn valve like on a cheap water jug.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #25

Smile

All this about the fresh water tank which seemed so simple and and worked so well in my previous trailer seems to be over engineered by Jayco for some reason. I don't understand the necessity for two overflow tubes. Why not just one tube with a larger diameter? Secondly did they not do field tests to see if this system worked? Oh we can't do this cause we loose the water.

One poster mentioned that there was a check valve on the fill tube. They were concerned about loosing water here. Why not elsewhere. ( I know it's a overflow tube elsewhere)

I don't see how you can overfill the fwt. It's not a balloon. Once the container is full , no more water will go in. So if you are able to fill it up it may fall out of the brackets holding it? Now it's sounding under spec.

I don't want to sound like a know it all. I'm just frustrated that this system wasn't explained to me when I bought my trailer. By the sounds of it lots of us weren't . It just doesn't make sence to me. You have a 28 gallon tank but somehow you can overfill it. So really it's only a 15 gallon tank.

I can see not traveling with gray or black tanks full. That makes sence. But you should be able to travel with a full tank of fresh water. I thought all RV makers kept their fwt supported and not hung like the gray and black tanks.
The other thing I don't understand is why would some trailers have have the air release tube next to the fill tube hooked up and others not? Mr.Jayco you have some splaining to do.

I suspect not all systems are the same. The higher end models with more room may have a better system but why would you handicap the rest with something that clearly is flawed, under specced or left us uninformed. Once again sorry for the rant..I do love my trailer. I'm in it now as I type this.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #26

It is frustating!! You pay $19k for somthing that doesn't hold water!
I have been around travel trailers and camping my entire life, 43 years, and have NEVER personally seen anything like this.
My Coleman fold-down was simple, fill the tank until it comes out the overflow, at the fill port, it's full and will stay full until YOU use all the water, 10 gallons.
This thing, you have to fill it on site then gingerly transport it to your site, and maybe get to use 40 gallons.....
I'll fill it slow, at that campground, shut the valves, get to my spot, hope I get my 90 gallons worth!!
I am not mad, I love my 22 but it does get frustating!

Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #27

running out of water

Has any one called jayco to see if there is a fix for this, That is my next step.
Jaycos # 1800-283-8267. We go camping with 1/3 water and it only last 1.5 days . Just the wife and I using bathroom and some dishes and coffee pot.
jay flight fb22 Trailer is only two months old , had this problem from day one. I have even put 2/3 water in it , and it will not last 2.5 days. when my pump stop pushing water to my taps , I still have about 20 gallons coming out of my low drain hoses.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac250 View Post
Has any one called jayco to see if there is a fix for this, That is my next step.
Jaycos # 1800-283-8267. We go camping with 1/3 water and it only last 1.5 days . Just the wife and I using bathroom and some dishes and coffee pot.
jay flight fb22 Trailer is only two months old , had this problem from day one. I have even put 2/3 water in it , and it will not last 2.5 days. when my pump stop pushing water to my taps , I still have about 20 gallons coming out of my low drain hoses.
Yes - would like to hear what they say....the tank on my trailer works fine and I can go down to just about empty - so I am curious if this was a problem in just certain years or models?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #29

water loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Yes - would like to hear what they say....the tank on my trailer works fine and I can go down to just about empty - so I am curious if this was a problem in just certain years or models?
ok then , so do you have one or two fresh water tanks and do you have two over flow tubes, can this be the problem ? Both big jim and I have 2011 fb22 trailers , so is this a coinsadinse ? any how thanks for your reply .I just hope some one can come up with a solution for this .
Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #30

Wish I had a solution. I have a 2009 26FB with a single tank and two overflow tubes. Mine holds just fine and have never seen it dump water along the way.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #31

Donnie, are your low point drains closed? those low point drains will purposly drain your system... you must close those when you fill, you shouldn't lose more than about 1/3..... I don't know about Jayco but when you fill the water tank on a hot day the tank will swell or expande... not like a balloon but it will "overfill". I had a sports master and filled the tank to the top and after a couple trips with the full tank i looked and realized the metal brackets were streatching and sagging... if they break i would have a disaster.. i drained the tank and took those out then bolted square tubing instead of the flimsy angle iron.... I don't know if jayco builds a stronger bracket system but something to check... water is heavy and if you only pull your trailer down a smooth hiway when its full then your probably ok... if your tank is full you hit a couple bad roads then you are putting a lot of stress on the brackets... just food for thought...
Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #32

water loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Donnie, are your low point drains closed? those low point drains will purposly drain your system... you must close those when you fill, you shouldn't lose more than about 1/3..... I don't know about Jayco but when you fill the water tank on a hot day the tank will swell or expande... not like a balloon but it will "overfill". I had a sports master and filled the tank to the top and after a couple trips with the full tank i looked and realized the metal brackets were streatching and sagging... if they break i would have a disaster.. i drained the tank and took those out then bolted square tubing instead of the flimsy angle iron.... I don't know if jayco builds a stronger bracket system but something to check... water is heavy and if you only pull your trailer down a smooth hiway when its full then your probably ok... if your tank is full you hit a couple bad roads then you are putting a lot of stress on the brackets... just food for thought...
Yes my drains are closed I have never put my tanks over 2/3 yet. Most of the time I only put in 1/3 that should be more then enough to get me through a weekend .I dont know what the straps look like ,because the bottom is all in closed . Hey thanks for your reply.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Wish I had a solution. I have a 2009 26FB with a single tank and two overflow tubes. Mine holds just fine and have never seen it dump water along the way.
Where is your tank located? Is it long and flat or box like?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #34

Have a call into Jayco, keep you updated.....

Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #35

Alright, got a phone call back from Jayco. I asked if it would be OK to post what was said on this forum, I have permission.

There is a problem with "incorrect configuration" of the fresh tanks, this means the fill system is causing a blockage between the tanks when filling. This was an issue on the first units of the 22FB in production, he said if it below #90 on the serial number you may have this as an issue.
I have unit #2 of the 22FB, didn't know that!!!
Another culprit, there may be a vacuum building up in the tanks that releases itself after use, air gets trapped in the filling process, it just has to work itself out. Maybe having the fill side up may help to get a true fill.
He said that having shut-off valves on the overflow is the way to keep it filled when traveling. But have them OPEN while filling the tanks!

Also, on the black tank level probe issue, he said to pour ice and vinegar down the pot and let it slosh around to clean the contacts. I'm sure that this will work on the gray tank probes as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #36
Site Team

"Also, on the black tank level probe issue, he said to pour ice and vinegar down the pot and let it slosh around to clean the contacts. I'm sure that this will work on the gray tank probes as well."

I think you will find the sensors being unreliable will be an ongoing issue. Cleaning them may help for awhile but it will happen again. Mine are almost never right. Even the fresh tanksensor reads 2/3 when the tank is completely full!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
...Mine are almost never right. Even the fresh tanksensor reads 2/3 when the tank is completely full!
It doesn't take much of a water loss before the tank indicates 2/3 as the full sensor is close at the top of the tank.

I've never had any problem with the water level indicator lights of my fresh water tank- only with the gray and black tanks. Their unreliability began within months after I purchased the TT. One time I did dump about 25 pounds of ice cubes down the toilet just before towing it to the next campground. This did make the level indicator lights seem to work again, but only for a short while. I generally don't even waste my checking the light indicators for the gray or black tank. I've had the TT for so long now that I know how many days I can last on each tank. If I'm wrong, the worst thing that happens is the water will back-up into the bathtub, but this has happened maybe once or twice. I never had the black tank back-up. To ensure it doesn't, I'll take a flashlight, open the toilet's blade and look down into the tank to see whenever I start to feel uncomfortable about the water level in the tank.

My fresh water tank's water level is easy to see visually because the tank is underneath the queen bed. The entire tank is exposed by lifting the bed so I can verify whether the level indicator lights are operating properly should I have any doubts.

When I fill the fresh water tank, I always visually watch the tank fill rather than use the level indicator lights because I can see when the tank is really approaching "full" and go outside to turn off the water when it starts exiting from the overflow. However, I realize that not everyone has this "luxury".

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #38

FPM... My last trailer was like the one you mentioned. I was able to see the water filling the tank and could know when to turn off the hose. The tank sat underneath my dinette seat. I will have to spend more time on my new trailer, so far I've only stayed at parks with full hook ups. The fresh water system I haven't had to depend on yet. I like to travel with about 5-8 gallons of fresh water when I travel. Several years ago when I was pulling my old trailer through the Rockies I had a broken return spring on one of the trailer brakes. The water in my fresh water tank saved the day and allowed us to limp home by keeping the wheel from overheating.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #39

Talked to Tony at Jayco yesterday. They are aware of this problem. He said to take it to any service center I would like to, and have them call him for authorization to repair under warranty. The fix is to install two additional drain valves, one on each vent line, next to the main drain valve for the tank. Close them after filling and open them when you get to your destination. Sounds like a workable fix to me and Jayco was very responsive to my problem.
2003 F250 Super Crew Power Stroke 4x4
2014 Lund 1800 Tyee 175 Merc Verado 9.9 Pro Kicker
Dukedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #40

water loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
Alright, got a phone call back from Jayco. I asked if it would be OK to post what was said on this forum, I have permission.

There is a problem with "incorrect configuration" of the fresh tanks, this means the fill system is causing a blockage between the tanks when filling. This was an issue on the first units of the 22FB in production, he said if it below #90 on the serial number you may have this as an issue.
I have unit #2 of the 22FB, didn't know that!!!
Another culprit, there may be a vacuum building up in the tanks that releases itself after use, air gets trapped in the filling process, it just has to work itself out. Maybe having the fill side up may help to get a true fill.
He said that having shut-off valves on the overflow is the way to keep it filled when traveling. But have them OPEN while filling the tanks!

Also, on the black tank level probe issue, he said to pour ice and vinegar down the pot and let it slosh around to clean the contacts. I'm sure that this will work on the gray tank probes as well.
Hello Jim ,
So if they changed or corrected the problem after # 90 and up, Then should they not have a fix for the problem ? Then let the dealers in on it so we can all get it fixed.I have taken my trailer out more then enough now to know that the vacuum action will not work its way out by it self .I have #99 and Im still having water issues .My trailer was taken back in to the dealer today. They are trying to figure it out for me .Im not sure why they have two tanks , who needs 80 gallons of water. I would be happy with one 40 gallon tank, And move the fresh tank to the center of the trailer.later Don