Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjdavidjr View Post
These fixes won't work for my 2013 248rbs. When I fill the tank, I get to 1/3 full and the overflow/vent tubes siphon the tank empty. Any ideas?
How do you know you are only 1/3 full, are you actually measuring the amount of water flow into the tank? If you are looking at the gauges, they are notoriously inaccurate. I had to add the valves on the vent tubes on my trailer, that stopped the siphoning while I was driving.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #82

I have a 2016 28BHBE with the Elite Package. Was also loosing 1/3 or more of my water during travel. The dealership (Camping World) added valves to the overflow hoses after I complained about the issue. (Free of charge) I was warned however to make sure the valves were open prior to filling, or I would "blow out the tanks".
Old 04-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #83

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Wait till your FW tank blows then you'll be sorry you installed those valves. The simple solution is to extend the overflow hoses at least 12 to 16" above the FW tank.
There's a saying; "Pay me now or pay me later"
And shame on the dealership to provide the valve solution.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Wait till your FW tank blows then you'll be sorry you installed those valves. The simple solution is to extend the overflow hoses at least 12 to 16" above the FW tank.
Extending the lines a foot above the floor is simply not an option on a lot of trailers, including mine. Anyplace you might think to extend the lines would result in lines sticking out out of the floor. I put a label next to my water fill port so I don't forget to open the valves.
The shame is on Jayco for not fixing this years ago.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Extending the lines a foot above the floor is simply not an option on a lot of trailers, including mine. Anyplace you might think to extend the lines would result in lines sticking out out of the floor. I put a label next to my water fill port so I don't forget to open the valves.
The shame is on Jayco for not fixing this years ago.
Actually, you may not "blow out the tanks" if the water fill port has a breather tube...mine does and I sometimes fill with the overflow tubes closed (I installed shut-offs on them). I also use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40003-Wa...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2) when filling so there is plenty of room for air to escape around the nozzle. However, after I fill the tank and park, I do open the overflow tubes.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #86

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
"Extending the lines a foot above the floor is simply not an option on a lot of trailers, including mine. Anyplace you might think to extend the lines would result in lines sticking out of the floor."

So what if you extend them under the sink or in a closet and make a loop just high enough. "If there's a will there's a way".
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman1088 View Post
I have a 2016 28BHBE with the Elite Package. Was also loosing 1/3 or more of my water during travel. The dealership (Camping World) added valves to the overflow hoses after I complained about the issue. (Free of charge) I was warned however to make sure the valves were open prior to filling, or I would "blow out the tanks".
Here's a photo for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0277.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
A person just needs to be diligent.
You could say "shame on the dealership" for any number of things on a travel trailer
  • Installing stabilizers that will rip off if you forget to retract them.
  • Installing a canopy that will tear off if you don't retract it before towing
  • Installing a Television antennae that will bend over if you don't retract it.
  • Or ANY other item that you should check on before taking an action.

There are many of us who have made this modification, and we have not blown out our tanks.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #89
JRD

Water siphons forcefully from the vent/overflow tube extending through the underside of the trailer when filling the fresh water tank on my new White Hawk 24RKS. It continues after I stop filling and then siphons out much of the water supply.

The small screened vent hole by the filler cap was plugged at the factory and is not connected to the tank.

Why did Jayco decide to go with the arched overflow tube to the underside of the trailer instead of connecting to the screened vent hole by the filler cap? That system worked just fine on my old, cheap travel trailer.

JRD
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #90

Quote:
These fixes won't work for my 2013 248rbs. When I fill the tank, I get to 1/3 full and the overflow/vent tubes siphon the tank empty. Any ideas?
I thought the tank was empty because of the indicator gauge, and I got no water flow from the pump. Now I'm thinking maybe the gauge and pump are both defective, and their is water in th tank.
Jjdavidjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:17 AM   #91

Quote:
I thought the tank was empty because of the indicator gauge, and I got no water flow from the pump. Now I'm thinking maybe the gauge and pump are both defective, and their is water in th tank.
I don't always want to fill, since the tank holds 90 gallons, and thats a lot to travel with. I like to put about 20 gallons in, and fill at the campground.

I use a kitchen timer, and see how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. For example, if it takes one minute to fill, then if I want 20 gallon, I'll time the trailer fill for 4 minutes with the timer.

The trailers pump supply hose isn't right on the bottom, there are several gallons still in the tank when it quits pulling water. Thats why I want more than I need.

Apparently the pump hose, and the overflow hose, are different in each trailer. I don't know if that is something we can adjust or not.

I put the caps on my overflow hoses. As I posted here years ago, I pulled into a rest stop for a break, and an elderly couple followed me in, and told me I had a bad water leak, they have been following for miles. There was a trail of water all the way to where I parked, but it wasnt flowing after I stopped. Maybe the wind across the hoses was drawing a syphon, I don't know. That would mean the hoses extend too far down into the tank.

I would have thought Jayco would have addressed this by now.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #92

So this thread has solved one of my biggest mysteries-- Where was my water going while traveling? I lose almost half my water when I'm on the move. At least 20-25 gallons.

I'll likely add valves, despite the apparent controversy of blown water tanks and whatnot.
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #93

Maybe a siphon is formed by the overflow hoses?

I'm seeing something similar on my 2019 224bhw.

Last weekend I filled the 80gal. dual tank to over 2/3 (maybe close to full) and noticed water flowing out of the overflow. I drove to the campsite and saw the overflow hoses were still flowing an hour later. We ran out of water after only a couple of nights.

When I returned home, I turned off the water pump, drained what was left in the fresh tank to totally empty. I then filled fresh tank until water was coming back out of the infill and shooting out of the overflow hoses. After about 5 minutes the overflow was still going strong so I went inside and turned on the faucets (water pump was off) to purge any pressure from the lines. Still overflowing. I turned on the water pump and ran some water through the kitchen and then it stopped overflowing.

Definitely seems like a siphon is getting formed and running some water through the system might break the siphon. Next time I need to refill I'll test to see how far the "siphon" would drain a full tank if parked and no water is pumped through the lines.
Husky Centerline T2 WDH

doggonecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #94

There are some posts on this thread addressing the siphon issue:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...n-59780-3.html

and here:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...nts-64217.html

and here:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ank-63323.html

and here:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post607950
Husky Centerline T2 WDH

Old 03-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #95

I had Camping World install valves in the 2 tank overflow tubes hanging down under the tank. Drove 400 miles, and hazzah! ...Full tank upon arrival.

Now do I need to open those valves when USING the water inside the trailer, or just when filling? Seems to be some who do and some who don't.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:39 AM   #96

Send a message via AIM to wilderness john Send a message via MSN to wilderness john
My solution

bought fittings at home depot. Just a couple pipe strap type clamps, two male fittings and two female fittings. put them on the ends of the overflow tubes under the trailer

You do need to open the drains when you are camping.

Hope this helps
wilderness john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I had Camping World install valves in the 2 tank overflow tubes hanging down under the tank. Drove 400 miles, and hazzah! ...Full tank upon arrival.

Now do I need to open those valves when USING the water inside the trailer, or just when filling? Seems to be some who do and some who don't.
After I put valves on our overflow tubes, I open them to fill the fresh water tanks, close them for the trip to the site, then open them again after it's leveled up. I may get a little water from them after opening them up, but not too much.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
After I put valves on our overflow tubes, I open them to fill the fresh water tanks, close them for the trip to the site, then open them again after it's leveled up. I may get a little water from them after opening them up, but not too much.
Gotcha. It makes sense that you'd be creating a bit of a vacuum if you don't open it up when using water/pump inside the trailer, but someone else mentioned the small air vent near the gravity fill would be enough to equalize.

It takes mere seconds to switch the valves, just wondering what would happen if I forgot.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Gotcha. It makes sense that you'd be creating a bit of a vacuum if you don't open it up when using water/pump inside the trailer, but someone else mentioned the small air vent near the gravity fill would be enough to equalize.

It takes mere seconds to switch the valves, just wondering what would happen if I forgot.

If you forget when filling, in mere seconds it could be an expensive mistake.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #100

I brought my 224bhw in to the dealership for some warranty work, mostly fit-and-finish type stuff, but also to address the siphon problem. They appear to have addressed this issue, not by capping the vent hoses as other forum users have reported, but by replacing the hoses with longer ones, forming two complete loops after exiting the tank to prevent the siphon from forming.

The explanation I heard from the service rep was that the original design had the hoses going mostly straight into the tank; when the water in the tank sloshes around while moving, water easily enters the tube and exits to the outside, forming the siphon. The new design has a longer hose which coils twice on top of the tank before running to the outside. The added length and coils prevents water from flowing directly through the tube to form the siphon.
Husky Centerline T2 WDH