Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Fresh water tank pukes

I did a search on this subject and found some possible answers but not specific to the issue I have.
I have a 2011 Jayflite 22FB.

If I fill my fresh tanks at home and drive to the lake (about 10 mi.) my fresh tank will run dry over the weekend if I don't fill at the campground.
We do not drink tank water nor bathe with it, we use the shower house. We use it just for washing dishes and flushing the pot, I take 2-3 gallon of drinking water or fill jugs directly from the hydrant for drinks.

It pukes it out the overflow as I am driving. I read that it may be siphoning; Is there a way to correct this issue? Longer overflow tubes? Clamp them off?
Install check valves on them?
I am taking a trip up to Minnesota and want to "conserve" my water, we will be staying at one park fro 4 nights. I don't want to unlevel to fill or lump water to fill it.

Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Below is a solution from one of my postings when this subject was discussed previously on another thread. I doubt if it's siphoning because the overflow opening is simply a hole at the top of one of the sides of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
...I was losing sometimes up to several gallons of water through the overflow due to sloshing of the water and/or tilting of the trailer just traveling from where I filled the tank to when I got it leveled in the campsite. I solved the problem by clamping the overflow hose with a pair of Lisle 23000 hose pinch-off pliers after I filled the tank. Then I remove the pliers once the trailer is set up.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the response!
I saw this in my search. I assume this is a common problem?
Would extanding the overflow hoses, coiling them around themselves accomplish the same thing?
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #4

The over flow vent line is also the vent to let air in when using water from the tank. If you plug the line be sure and unplug it before using the pump. You could suck the tank flat.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #5

Angry

I had this problem the first time I filled the tank. I thought it was full and that it was coming out the overflow. What was happening is that the tap to empty the tank was not closed off completely and the water started to run out before the tank was even half full. Stupid mistake but it was a brand new trailer and the tap was on the opposite side from the fill side. Won't make tat one again. Did a few trips with a watering can to refill it..
3Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

We just used our 2011 Jayco 265RKS the first time and had the same experience. I filled the tank and left home and found out we had lost 1/3 of our water by the time we got to the lake. This was not impressive.
2003 F250 Super Crew Power Stroke 4x4
2014 Lund 1800 Tyee 175 Merc Verado 9.9 Pro Kicker
Dukedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
I did a search on this subject and found some possible answers but not specific to the issue I have.
I have a 2011 Jayflite 22FB.

If I fill my fresh tanks at home and drive to the lake (about 10 mi.) my fresh tank will run dry over the weekend if I don't fill at the campground.
We do not drink tank water nor bathe with it, we use the shower house. We use it just for washing dishes and flushing the pot, I take 2-3 gallon of drinking water or fill jugs directly from the hydrant for drinks.

It pukes it out the overflow as I am driving. I read that it may be siphoning; Is there a way to correct this issue? Longer overflow tubes? Clamp them off?
Install check valves on them?
I am taking a trip up to Minnesota and want to "conserve" my water, we will be staying at one park fro 4 nights. I don't want to unlevel to fill or lump water to fill it.
WOW this is interesting I don't know why but I have a 2009 22FB and never had this problem. I noticed I have 2 overflow hoses, strange???
Old 07-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
WOW this is interesting I don't know why but I have a 2009 22FB and never had this problem. I noticed I have 2 overflow hoses, strange???
Could it possibly be that one hose is for the overflow and the other is for the tank's drain?

RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Could it possibly be that one hose is for the overflow and the other is for the tank's drain?
No the tank drain is easily identified by the on off valve about 12 inches forward of the 2 overflow hoses.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
No the tank drain is easily identified by the on off valve about 12 inches forward of the 2 overflow hoses.
Then, I guess the other hose isn't a low-point drain either.