Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tanks

Resently purchased a Jayco 33RLDS. Is it ok to travel with full fresh water tanks?
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

Sure can, just adds weight. But if your TV can handle it, shouldn't be a problem. Just remember, water weighs about 8 1/2 lbs. per gallon.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

We have 90 gallon capacity (2 connected FW tanks) and frequently travel with full tanks, unless we are going very long distances. The TT actually rides better with full tanks in my opinion and once you get the TT moving it doesn't seem to take much more gas to haul the additional weight.

HOWEVER, we found both tanks bulging, so removed the coroplast and added two additional support bars to each of the tanks. You might want to check your tanks periodically for the bulge and add more support if needed.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

Unless your going to an area where water is not available, what is to be gained by carrying 1,000 lbs of water with you? We typically travel with a few gallons in case we want to use the bathroom on the road. We typically camp where full hook ups are available, so, no need to bring water with us.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #5

Also note that if you fill the tanks before you leave you may get to your destination with a lot less than that.

The water can and will slosh around and get dumped out the overfill tube. Search on the forum for stories & solutions.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

Different strokes for different folks. Do what pleases you.

We fill at home because:
It is water that comes from our home, so it is tasty, filtered and clear.
It does not have a strong wellwater or rotten egg taste like you get at so many campgrounds.
We keep it filled, you never know when having water onboard will come in handy - even when at home.

I'm not suggesting that you or anyone haul that much water with them.
It is just what I often do, as do lots of other folks. When we get close to our campsite (boondock or campground) we can go immediately to a campsite and set up. We don't have to start looking for where we might find a water source or spend time at the campground's potable water source, or try to hand fill a 90 gallon tank by lifting 7 gallon aquatainers (many of the campgrounds we visit have wells that you can't hook a hose onto).
Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

I sometimes carry a full tank of water. Often I only carry a couple gallons in my water cool, for the side if the road needs.

You should not carry a partial tank, as the water can really slosh around and cause handling issues. A ccouple gallons does not affect the handling.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Unless your going to an area where water is not available, what is to be gained by carrying 1,000 lbs of water with you? We typically travel with a few gallons in case we want to use the bathroom on the road. We typically camp where full hook ups are available, so, no need to bring water with us.
The following is the exact reason why I carry water with me: So I don't have to go searching for it.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...tml#post419066
Old 06-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #9

One of our favorite campgrounds is literally half an hour from our driveway, it's so close that once we get on to the highway and settle in for the drive, I have to slow down for the turn-off into the park. It's darn near impossible to get a site with water there, so we bring it with us. There are faucets available and it is good water, but not all of them are threaded so it's a pain to fill up the tanks when we get there, even though we have a Water Bandit. But there are other campgrounds where I'm not really willing to haul that much water that distance, so we'll have to fill up when we get there, especially the one that's four hours away.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote