Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Fresh water treatment

Hi everyone,

I have a question for the ones that carry fresh water in their travel trailers when they go camping... What do you use to treat the water in the tanks please? I am assuming nobody drinks that water, but you still want it to be as clean as possible.

thanks in advance and stay warm!

Duran
Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #2

As far as "treating" the water, I don't do anything. At the beginning of the travel year, I flush the tank with a water/bleach solution followed by plenty of running fresh water through the system. I have drank the water and basically if your tank is clean and flushed, its going to taste just like the tap water or other water you use to fill it. Others may have a different idea on this but I say if the tank is clean, and you know the source of water you are using, you are good to go.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #3

As for me even with my old motorhome I use to drink the tap water from the tan kall the time... Just have a slightly off taste but nothing wrong with it. But like other I would bleach the tank on a regular basis and flush with plenty of clear clean water.

Since my water come from a well on the property and there is no additves or processing it the best thing...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #4

I use the water in my tank just like I use the tap water in town because that is where the water came from.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #5

If you're worried about drinking the water just use a torpedo type inline filter when you fill the tank at the CG. You could also use a filter type water pitcher that you leave in the fridge or a countertop model. WalMart has them.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a question for the ones that carry fresh water in their travel trailers when they go camping... What do you use to treat the water in the tanks please? I am assuming nobody drinks that water, but you still want it to be as clean as possible.

thanks in advance and stay warm!

Duran
When we bought used RV's in te past, we bleach treated them when we bougt them. After that, never. Crud doesn't normally grow in water tanks unless it is introduced somewere. We have alway drank the water right out of the tank without issue.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #7

We bleach ours over night with bleach in all the lines. Then flush everything several times. We usually use filters on the city water connection and we use RO water system to keep the tank full if the city water is bad smelling or tasting. Water in Arizona really sucks.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
We bleach ours over night with bleach in all the lines. Then flush everything several times. We usually use filters on the city water connection and we use RO water system to keep the tank full if the city water is bad smelling or tasting. Water in Arizona really sucks.
I'll following you... Since I live out here in the middle of nowhere Idaho and live off a well the water is pure. Yeah even in the spring of the year the water looks muddy but no problem.

But as for going to the city and drinking water neither Mom or I can touch city water. The content of chlorine and fluoride makes us sick. So 99% of the time we will be packing our own water.

Funny part everyone always tells you not to drink out creeks and stream you might get beaver fever. Well I can drink from just about any stream of creek in Idaho but can't drink that nasty stuff called city water. Like in Riggins, ID the city water stinks of clorine...

Yes I have and will drink water from the stream behind me... This is the irrigation dam that feed our property...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3619.jpg  
Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Site Team

One thing I will add. I also have well water. We used the trailer early April last year and it setup 2 months before I used it again. I drained the fresh tank but forgot the water heater. When we used it again DW told me "the hot water stinks". Sure enough it had a punky odor that did not go away so she did not use the hot water the rest of the trip. I sanitized the whole system with bleach when I got home and now drain the HW tank after each use, unless it will be used again shortly. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #10

Interesting... I'll keep that in mind...

But thinking about that I always drained the water heater on the old motorhome too...
Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #11

I guess i got worried as someone told me never to drink from a water tank. My concern was that i bought my TT used and one cant see inside the water tank to tell how clean it is.

I feel much better and more comfy now, thanks everyone for your answers!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran1 View Post
I guess i got worried as someone told me never to drink from a water tank. My concern was that i bought my TT used and one cant see inside the water tank to tell how clean it is.

I feel much better and more comfy now, thanks everyone for your answers!
Well after bleaching out the tank and flushing several time you should be fine. My old 76 Dodge motorhome and a tranparent tank and after 20 years the tank was still clean...

Now where you get into problem is when you leave the tank filled for several month or years and now you might start grow algae or other suff. I've got a 5 gallon water container I kept filled in the pickup for all kinds of reasons well needless to say the bottom started growing algae...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Well after bleaching out the tank and flushing several time you should be fine. My old 76 Dodge motorhome and a tranparent tank and after 20 years the tank was still clean...

Now where you get into problem is when you leave the tank filled for several month or years and now you might start grow algae or other suff. I've got a 5 gallon water container I kept filled in the pickup for all kinds of reasons well needless to say the bottom started growing algae...
That's the thing, i bought it used and it was full of water.
Granted i emptied it out, but no telling how long that water had been sitting there. How much bleach/water do you use to clean yours if you dont mind me asking? I dont want to kill myself with bleach along with the algae...
Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
Site Team

According to my manual, you mix 1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gallons of tank capacity. Fill up the tank with water and run it through the entire system using the water pump. Let it set for at least four hours, drain the system, refill and drain again to get rid of any residual bleach smell. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #15

Wouldn't hurt to take it for a few miles under tow while the solution is in there to get some slosh agitation. I have to do several flushes to get my picky family members to not smell or taste chlorine. Some say a splash of cider vinegar helps, but the clan hates vinegar, too. :-/
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #16

awesome, thanks for the answers!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #17

Hey Bruce, sounds like our families may be related! ROFLMAO!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote