Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Question Friction vs Dual-Cam

I recently retired and we purchased a new Jayco Skylark in late August. This is our first travel trailer. TV is a Toyota 4x4 Tacoma with towing package. Due to my age and reaction time, I certainly feel that my best days of driving and towing are in the past. In our limited short camping trips before winterizing the Skylark, I was constantly "on edge" and alert when towing on the Interstate due to sway. My trailer does sit level when connected to the pickup. I want to preclude such nerve-wracking travel before Spring arrives by installing the necessary sway control hardware. After reading extensively on numerous websites, I am no closer to making a decision on what I must buy and install. Considering the Skylark's tongue weight, I feel that a load distribution system is not necessary. Any recommendations, comments, etc. for my situation please?
yrralrellim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. In order to use The Reese dual cam as sway control, you must use their appropriate WD system.

Post number 2 in this Skylark WD thread has links to past discussions on Skylark WD choices. It seems due to the unique design of the Skylark there are only a few select choices in WD and sway control systems.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...t+distribution
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

I do not know what your TT weight is nor the towing capacity of your TV.

Personally I have used both Reese Dual Cam and Equilizer brands of WDH. I have an Equilizer brand on my current HTT. My parent’s old rigs had the Reese Dual Cam. I have pulled all of their TT with the Reese setup. Personally I cannot tell a difference between two driving down the road, with one exception. They had an Aerolite, with an ultralight frame (to light of a frame). A WDH was not recommended for the Aerolight as the frame was to light, and the tongue was also built ultralight. We put the Reese on that TT, but it did not help, that trailer just towed horribly. From experience, I think I liked the Reese Dual Cam a little better, only because if you throw out the little bar that comes with it and replace it with a 3’ water pipe with a bend at one end. It is quicker and easier to setup than the Equilizer. The only issue with the Equilizer brand hitch is you have to raise and lower the tongue twice, to dis/connect. It came with a bar if you need it, but I have never used it.

I have never used a friction sway bar system; personally I have little faith in them (but no reason for this). I understand you have to disconnect them before you backup. I do not like that idea, especially if I am at a gas station and need to adjust my position to get in or out.

As stated above, currently I am using the Equilizer on my HTT. In cross wind or when a semi passes me I do not even know the HTT is there. The TV moves no more or less than I would without the trailer. I only pulled my parents TTs occasionally, and I called it white knuckle driving due to a lack of experience. My canoe trailer or small utility never bothered me. After about 5 trips or so, trips with my HTT, I calmed down a lot and began to relax, but stayed very vigilant. I fully expect this spring when I pick up the HTT, I will be white knuckle driving again for a few trips (1st trip is 100 miles to get her home from storage which should help get it out of the system).

For piece of mind, I would consider a WDH, with an integrated sway system.

I would also recommend a good set of auxiliary mirrors. I adjust one of the TV power mirrors down a bit so I can see the center dotted line in that mirror, along with the lower front corner of the TT. Being able to tell quickly that I am in my lane, and being able to see what is coming up from behind is a great feeling.

Best of Luck!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

Used to use friction type sway control then switched to the reese dual cam. Once the dual cam was set up correctly it towed perfectly.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

No need to disconnect the friction type anti sway bar to back up, as long as the angles are just as small as when turning while driving forward. IOW don't jackknife the RV at all, and certainly not with one of these anti sway bars attached.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #6

You can run a friction sway control without a WDH. Curt makes one that comes with the weld on tab. You just weld it onto your ball mount and then mount the small sway contral ball to it. Bolt the other to your trailer frame (or weld it). Simple setup and easy to use. I used to sell all Curt products and I sold and installed at least 50 of these for customers. They worked very well. There are other brands out there that work just as well. Good Luck !
Codiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

I have been pulling my Skylark for two years and about 25000 miles. I had a Reese Dual Cam installed by the dealer when I purchased the trailer. Initially I was pulling it with a Toyota 4 runner with 6 cylinder and it towed very well. Recently I am pulling it with a Dodge half ton with hemi and it pulls equally well. No disappointment with the Reese product. Good luck with your choice.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #8

we have Reese Dual Cam and set up properly it tows fine....good luck!
Daryl/Sue is offline   Reply With Quote