Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

fridge issue

hello All!

we have just come back from a week on the Otanabee River near Peterborough, Ontario. Weather was amazing and the family had a great time. we had an issue with the fridge while away and i am not sure what to do. The issue was that fridge was not getting cold but the freezer was working perfectly. i tried switching to propane only and that did not work. i looked at the breaker and nothing wrong, same with the fuse.

I have a 2007 Jayflight 27BH

Any thoughts on troubleshooting this issue before i bring the RV dealer into this would be great.

Thanks in advanced,

DB
burch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

You need to buy something like this http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...f-switch/38134 to circulate the cold air around the fridge. It's also helps the build up of frost.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

I'd start with making sure the door seals are good and let the fridge try to cool overnight.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #4

I agree with both above posts. The freezer always cools faster than the fridge. If it is hot out it may take 18 to 24 hours to get cool. I always freeze water and take it with me, then I place it in the freezer and fridge. It is sorta like a jump start.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #5

thanks for the info, ill def look into the fan. seals are all good on the fridge and i had my trailer plugged in at home and the fridge working before we left. traveled with the it running on propane to the campground. was only a 2 hour drive and then plugged power back in. the fridge stopped cooling day 3 into the trip. thats why i am a lil stumped.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch42 View Post
thanks for the info, ill def look into the fan. seals are all good on the fridge and i had my trailer plugged in at home and the fridge working before we left. traveled with the it running on propane to the campground. was only a 2 hour drive and then plugged power back in. the fridge stopped cooling day 3 into the trip. thats why i am a lil stumped.
Are you sure you are not out of propane? Did not set the switch to electric? Sometimes we tend to overlook the simple things.....well at least I do!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #7

propane is full, i surprised myself by remembering to look. lol
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #8

This may be a total shot in the dark but you may want to try this...when I was doing my walk-through after buying our trailer, the guy from the dealership showed me a little slide-like thing on the "fins" at the back of the fridge - not freezer - compartment. Apparently if you slide it up or down, it can affect the cooling of the fridge. I believe that if you slide it up, that it chills the fridge even more. He described it as one of those things that very few people know about but that it can come in handy sometimes. Just a thought.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #9

If it is a Norcold refrigerator and you say this happened on day 3 my guess would be the unit went into a defrost cycle. The first time mine did this I also thought it quit working. Mine wants to do this about every 48 hours. To prevent this from happening I turn the refrigerator off for one minute each morning and turn it back on. This resets that defrost timer.

I called my dealer the first time this happened. As it turns out even he was unaware of this characteristic. Carefully reading the manual brought this information to light.

This might be your problem or might not. But it should be worth checking out.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvguy68 View Post
This may be a total shot in the dark but you may want to try this...when I was doing my walk-through after buying our trailer, the guy from the dealership showed me a little slide-like thing on the "fins" at the back of the fridge - not freezer - compartment. Apparently if you slide it up or down, it can affect the cooling of the fridge. I believe that if you slide it up, that it chills the fridge even more. He described it as one of those things that very few people know about but that it can come in handy sometimes. Just a thought.
Would love to know what and where the little slide-like thing is!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #11

Thanks for all the options there, on my fridge there is no slider to adjust the temp. It has the setting on the outside by number 1-5. When we got home from the trip I turned off the fridge and let the fridge cool down, I waited a couple days and re-started it seems to be cooling just fine again. I'm going to get a fridge fan to help with the airflow, but at least I have an option of what to do if it happens on the next trip which will be at the beginning of August. Taking the family to Hershey park.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #12

The slider I am referring to is located on the back wall of the fridge itself. In this case I am not talking about the temperature control switch that is located on the front of the fridge, and usually numbered from 1 to 5. On my 26BH it is a wire that connects to a metallic piece and it can slide up or down. The dealership guy told me that it's a good way to adjust just the fridge temp itself.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #13

Check out that ebay dual fan unit for 13 bucks! Works fantastic!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #14

I believe the slide-like thing is only found on the dometic refrigerators. I think jayco only uses norcold units, and they do not have the slide on the fins. Hope this helps. Lots of people seem to have problems with the freezer working and the fridge not. And it is regardless of brand. As much as these fridges cost, it pathetic that they are not built better. Hope this helps.
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
OkieCamperFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #15

DB, I had the same issue and thought it was not working properly. My RV shop told me it is because the trailer was not level. I bought one of these little bubble things that has a circle in it. If the inner bubble is in the circle, the trailer is level enough and I my fridge gets cold.
Hope this helps.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote