Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Front Bed

Hi! I am new to the world of TT although I have owned a tent trailer and been around RVs and other campers my whole life. My wife and I recently purchased a 2013 Jayflight 26BH and we absolutely LOVE it!!

We took it on it's maiden voyage less than a week after picking it up. Only one problem: I am a big guy (6'3" 290lbs) and the plywood under the front bed bows under my weight. After just a couple of nights I was sleeping on the sofa because my wife didn't like the feeling of rolling towards me all night. The manual says that the bed will support 1000lbs but I disagree. The plywood is merely 1/4" thick with some flimsy 1.5" X 1.5" stringers for rigidity which don't even run the entire length of the plywood. When we got home I had my two kids (4yrs & 7yrs) lay in the middle of the bed while I looked at it from underneath. I couldn't believe how much it bowed under just their minimal weight.

I called the dealership but didn't get much help. They said they could only fix it if it was "broken" and even then it would only be repaired to factory standards. I thought about replacing the plywood with 3/4" but because of the size it would require two pieces and would make the bed terribly heavy to lift to access the storage space underneath. My other option is to remove the 1.5" stringers and build a support frame out of 2X4's under the bed. I also don't want to do anything to void our warranty.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and come up with a great solution? Other than this We really are completely satisfied with the trailer and we don't want this one thing to sour us on Jayco. Help!

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
2013 Jay Flight Swift 26BH
BubbaJBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #2

I would recommend calling Jayco customer service.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

How about building a center support, build it from the floor up so that the plywood bed platform rest on it. I did this to a tt we had before.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #4

Bubba, welcome to the JOF and congratulations on the new RV!

Having said that, though, I think you need to look at reinforcing the bed however you can. I bet it would not take that much in terms of time, or materials, and if you do it yourself you'll get it done faster, and likely better, than if you go to your local Jayco dealer. Please do keep us posted on how you resolve this issue!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #5

I like that idea that Hitch pin has to put the center support. Either way, I can't see how beefing up the bed could void a warranty, it would only effect the bed frame itself, and as stated, warranty is only going to bring it back to factory standards, again needing beefed up for you.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
I like that idea that Hitch pin has to put the center support. Either way, I can't see how beefing up the bed could void a warranty, it would only effect the bed frame itself, and as stated, warranty is only going to bring it back to factory standards, again needing beefed up for you.
Build it so that it can be removed, that way if you need to take it back for any warranty reason, you can take it out easy and no one is the wiser.

It's a shame to have to do things like that, but they build things as flimsy as they can, then if you fix it and make it the way it should have been in the first place they want to cop out on the warranty.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
Build it so that it can be removed, that way if you need to take it back for any warranty reason, you can take it out easy and no one is the wiser.

It's a shame to have to do things like that, but they build things as flimsy as they can, then if you fix it and make it the way it should have been in the first place they want to cop out on the warranty.
Thanks, Hitch Pin! I made a trip to Lowe's today and got what (I think) I'll need. I post pics and start a mod thread if I'm successful. This seems like a design flaw so hopefully it'll help other people with similar trailers to solve this problem. Like I said though we are totally satisfied with the TT otherwise.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJBI View Post
Thanks, Hitch Pin! I made a trip to Lowe's today and got what (I think) I'll need. I post pics and start a mod thread if I'm successful. This seems like a design flaw so hopefully it'll help other people with similar trailers to solve this problem. Like I said though we are totally satisfied with the TT otherwise.
I wish you the very best with your mod, looking forward for the pics.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

1/4" material is standard on most TT at least the ultra lites. The easiest fix if its really doing what you say is to cut a 2nd piece of the same material maybe just a little under the originals size. Then slide it under the mattress and you should be good to go. Very little weight added. Never experienced a problem with the bed, but the tops of the benches under the table would buckle if you stepped up on them to get something out of an overhead. Cut undersized pieces and attached them to the bottom of the existing tops. Problem solved. The bane of ultra lites is what they do to cut out weight. The key is to strengthen things without adding a lot of weight.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #10

Hi Bubba, I think your going about this in the right way. I just wanted to add that if you get a thicker piece of plywood you can always replace the struts with a stronger set. Having a center brace is probably a good idea too , much like most bed frames in our homes. It's a great feeling having a new trailer. Enjoy your summer.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #11

Finally finished the mod and posted it. I'm VERY happy with the results. Here is the mod thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...555#post145555

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #12

Looks great! looks like you done a good job.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #13

Our "bowing" problem was with the table with folding legs that is fits in the dining "U" to make another bed. It began to sag after a short time. It's made of particle board with some runners added for rigidity. Doesn't work very well. I made a center prop for it that is 100% removable. A short piece of PVC drain (4" diameter I think) and a couple of flanges to spread the force out. I cut the pipe about an 1/8" too tall and over the last year has removed most of the sag. Didn't bother gluing the flanges on. When we set the table up I put it in the storage compartment or under the TT. Low-tech to be sure but super easy.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #14

HI, I picked up 2014 Jayco Jay Flight 26bh last Friday. I slept in it Friday night with the kids out in the driveway. I noticed after first night. My front bed bowed. I weight 195lbs and it was just me sleeping on it. I add three 2 by 8 board and build frame around it to hold it in place. Slide it in front storage. Done! It held good. It not connected to the bed so I was able to raised the bed. I plan to add thicker plywood and seal the bed. Since there is a opening crack side of the bed that can be seen to the storage below. I don't like open hot air to my bed coming from hot storage. Seal it real good and removed the front panel so I can slide the plastic containers to store under my bed instead of raising.
2001 Jayco Qwest 12A (SOLD)
4 kids, 3 grown children, 1 in high school.
Jwunsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #15

I'll have to check to see if our bed is bowing but it wouldn't suprise me if it is. I'll probably avoid adding thicker plywood to the bed since my wife has trouble lifting the bed by herself as it is (also have a foam pad on the bed). I'm also not sure if the added weight of 3/4 ply could be supported by the gas bed lifts.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #16

My came with pillowtop mattress. Still not too comfortable as I wanted. Plan to add memory foam pillow top on top of it. I love the trailer itself. It a great looking trailer. Didn't want no slides. Want to be able to hook up and go!
2001 Jayco Qwest 12A (SOLD)
4 kids, 3 grown children, 1 in high school.
Jwunsch is offline   Reply With Quote