Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

Front Electric Jack

Has anyone had their front electric jack that holds up the trailer tongue/hitch go out on them while camping? If this happens, what are the alternatives to raising or lowering your TT to get it hooked up to your TV? Mine is Flight 2014 26bh

Thanks, Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #2

The first thing to check are the two fuses. One is on the frame near the battery in a small black holder, the other one is on jack and is an inline one. I've blown the one on the frame.by over extending the jack and had the inline one badly corroded.
There is also a hand crank that can be used through the rubber cap on the top of the jack. I haven't had to do this but understand it's lots of slow pressure on the crank
If you don't have the crank a 7/16 socket fits.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

As Jim Davis said, check the fuse(s). Blowing the fuse is a common problem when the jack is raised, or lowered, too far. We now have spare fuses just in case.

Next is the manual method as Jim said. Some have had the jack fail to the point where the manual method won't budge. That is rare and seems unlikely for your 2014 trailer that the internal mechanism is ruined that badly. It is possible, too, in some areas that water has gotten into the jack head and it is frozen solid preventing movement.

Do you have a small jack for changing tires? That jack could be used to raise the tongue. Of course it may be necessary when using the hydraulic jack to unbolt the electric tongue jack to lower the tongue onto the ball. If using a differnent jack on the tongue, BE SURE THE TRAILER IS CHOCKED SECURELY!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #4

My only electric jack failure was some years ago. Jack gear failed, motor would run, but nothing moved. I used a hydraulic jack and a bunch of boards to lift the trailer tongue (tongue was higher than the hitch ball), removed the electric jack, then let the coupler down on the ball. Stopped at CW on the way home (didn't have the luxury to shop around), bought a new electric jack, bolted it on, hooked up the power.....off to the races. A little inconvenient, but not a show stopper.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #5

Could possibly use your jack from the truck, or probably borrow one/bottle jack from a neighbor. Some guys bring their well stocked garages with them.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #6

circuit breaker

Mine failed last year. The circuit breaker below the jack motor housing died. Cut the wires from the breaker and spliced them together. No problems since. There were 2 remote circuit breakers for this jack - the one mentioned and one at the battery. Now there is one. My trailer came with a hand jack handle. It would be slow going, if used. Better than being stuck. The flor/car jack is a great idea as well. Just make sure you have the jack securely in place. Safe travels!
firerescue712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #7

When we purchased our travel trailer we towed it from the dealer to the storage lot. Unhooked and went home. When we came back a week later, the battery was dead and I had to hand crank the jack.

Turned out during the walk-thru, someone turned on the light over the stove and never turned it off. Battery was dead as a door nail. But after a couple days plugged into electricity at the campground we were good to go.

Ever since, I disconnect the battery when unhooking at the storage shed.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. Think I have it now.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #9

battery vs fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
The first thing to check are the two fuses. One is on the frame near the battery in a small black holder, the other one is on jack and is an inline one. I've blown the one on the frame.by over extending the jack and had the inline one badly corroded.
There is also a hand crank that can be used through the rubber cap on the top of the jack. I haven't had to do this but understand it's lots of slow pressure on the crank
Sorry for hijacking this thread...I've noticed that last time I tried using my tongue-jack that it would not move while using only battery power even though battery is fully charged. When I plugged into the 7-pin to truck it worked fine.
Should I be checking these 2 fuses mentioned as well?
Did not have it into shore power so I can't answer if it works on solo shore power?
Appreciate any input, thanks

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread...I've noticed that last time I tried using my tongue-jack that it would not move while using only battery power even though battery is fully charged. When I plugged into the 7-pin to truck it worked fine.
Should I be checking these 2 fuses mentioned as well?
Did not have it into shore power so I can't answer if it works on solo shore power?
Appreciate any input, thanks
Being plugged in to shore power only means the battery is being charged, since the tongue jack uses 12 volts, and shore power is 120 volts. I'm confused as to the wiring on your jack. Do you have it wired to the battery, as well as a 7 pin connection to it? If so, I'd check the ground to the jack, and the voltage reading from the battery hot lead. I'm guessing it's a connection problem, or no ground.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #11

Not sure of the wiring on the tongue jack as it’s put away for the winter?
Will check that out this Spring. I thought it was wired to operate either in 7-pin OR from the battery. At least it used to operate in either but isn’t any longer, my thought was I needed to follow the wires to check the fuses??

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Being plugged in to shore power only means the battery is being charged, since the tongue jack uses 12 volts, and shore power is 120 volts. I'm confused as to the wiring on your jack. Do you have it wired to the battery, as well as a 7 pin connection to it? If so, I'd check the ground to the jack, and the voltage reading from the battery hot lead. I'm guessing it's a connection problem, or no ground.
When plugged into shore power your converter should be making 12 volt power to run 12 volt appliances and provide power to charge your batter(ies) if needed.

The 7 pin connector also can provide some extra 12 volt power as well - but usually much less than the converter makes.

If you look up the specs of your particular converter it will say how much power it can make - my eagle can make as much as 60amps for both charging and running my 12 volt systems.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #13

Check out this one by Lippert ( first time I've seen it ) you just use your electric drill with a 3/4" socket. No more fuses to deal with and one less thing to go wrong. Picture is in this months Trailer Mag.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #14
Site Team

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmopilot View Post
When plugged into shore power your converter should be making 12 volt power to run 12 volt appliances and provide power to charge your batter(ies) if needed.

The 7 pin connector also can provide some extra 12 volt power as well - but usually much less than the converter makes.

If you look up the specs of your particular converter it will say how much power it can make - my eagle can make as much as 60amps for both charging and running my 12 volt systems.
Ya' know, my bad. I think I read the post too fast the first time, and thought there was a separate 7 pin connector for the jack only. I've seen power jacks with that, and they don't connect to a battery. I think they're for trailers that don't have an onboard battery to begin with.
After re-reading his question I understand his jack works with the trailer plugged in, and doesn't on the battery alone. I'll read more slowly next time.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
Is this fuse in a black rubber holder? 30A automotive/blade fuse?
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegray View Post
Has anyone had their front electric jack that holds up the trailer tongue/hitch go out on them while camping? If this happens, what are the alternatives to raising or lowering your TT to get it hooked up to your TV? Mine is Flight 2014 26bh

Thanks, Mike
On top of the jack there is a little rubber fitting you can remove and then use your stab jack crank to crank the jack up and down. I use an impact gun with a socket for my stab jacks. It can also be used for my tongue jack if I ever lose power to it.

I recommend having sockets for wheels, Tongue jack and Spare tire in your tool box. Would hurt to have one for you slide out too. I think mine is the same as stab/tongue jack.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
Is this fuse in a black rubber holder? 30A automotive/blade fuse?
Yes, depending on the type/brand of jack. Some use a twistly inine fuse. Some use a rubber black automotive fuse as you descried. Usually green or red wires.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #18

Yes. It seems to blow faster than the inline one on the jack. My corrosion problem was the inline one. Rain ran down the wire and corroded the fuse and contact. A little WD-40 and a rag cleaned it up and everything worked. I now check it at the same time I check the battery

There are two fuses. The one in the black rubber holder is a master fuse for the trailer. The inline one is on the jack and for the jack only.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia389 View Post
Yes, depending on the type/brand of jack. Some use a twistly inine fuse. Some use a rubber black automotive fuse as you descried. Usually green or red wires.
Like this one?
Attached Thumbnails
177C20D1-0E7F-47C7-8DA3-B119D9CE77DD.jpeg  
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #20

Thats the one! Although that fuse is between battery and trailer. Everything inside will not work if that fuse is blown and not plugged in. Converer will not charge battery either causing jack not to work. If have a full batter jack should still work even if that fuse is missing.

Tags
electric jack