Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #21

I like Pilot, FlyingJ, or Loves. But, prior to entering look for an RV lane or easy entry and exit. With a GoodSam membership you get 5 cents off per gallon at FlyingJ. While truck can also great, the drivers are there making a living so I try to stay away unless I really need to.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #22

We put in a 50 gal auxiliary fuel tank in Truck bed...leave home with 87 gallons of fuel....and refuel anywhere you want after you get to destination....I got tired of dealing with all the truck stops and tight spots....worth every penny in my opinion...
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #23

After some "bad" experiences trying to get our 34' 5er in to regular diesel pumps we ended up getting the flying J RV gas/fuel credit card. It works well. Ditto to all of the other suggestions, especially using google sat view to figure it out before you get there. The one thing to add, we didn't realize that on all of the main toll ways heading east from IL to MA the travel plaza's were frequent, always accessible with bigger RV areas (at least for diesel) and didn't seem crazy with their prices.
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #24

We have a large fifth wheel. We use the app “truckers path” which will show you safe places to stop and places to get gas safely. I also use gas buddy to check on the prices, but for us it’s all about a safe place to fill up.
twosteppinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #25

When I am planning a long trip that I know will require a couple of gas stops, I will plan my route of travel using Google Maps. I then seek out the location(s) of fuel stops. Then, zoom into that location with the street view feature. Usually you can see the size of the gas facility,the available space around the gas pumps, and the approach area to those pumps. Then, I use the Google My Maps app to plot those acceptable gas station locations on a customizable travel map.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwoods2 View Post
What are the best places for Fuel and easy access when you are on the road. Truck Stops? Large Retail Gas Station? Whats your preference?
I have a 40 gallon auxiliary tank so I never have to stop for diesel just off the freeways which I find are usually more expensive. I wait until we are at the campground then just take the truck to a station that has the best price. My RAM navigation system has a fuel app that gives the prices of all stations within a 5 mile radius or more if you choose. I also use the Gas Buddy app on my phone which does the same thing. I've saved as much as 50 cents a gallon doing it that way and I never have to worry about the fiver getting in or out of a station.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #27

And if you are a woman traveling solo, you start looking at one-half tank mark. Stay away from most truck stops because of clientele, and frequent Maverick and other stations w separate fuel island for diesal .. safety first, $ second.
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #28

Anyone traveling with an RV should have the “next exit” book. It lists all the gas stations off all the major interstate routes and they list whether or not they have diesel and if they are RV accessible. They also list stores off the exit. It’s a great tool, however, make sure you do not purchase the latest edition for they are missing some 20 odd pages,(I’ve read in reviews). May have been a printing problem, The 2016 is the best latest addition which I have.

And I do the same as others mentioned, I never pass an opportunity to refuel when it’s convenient and accessible.

Happy trails,

John
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #29

Gas Stops

I have been traveling in a 32' Class A and find most of the major stops; Exxon, Shell, Chevron, and the Maverick and 7-11 gas stops have access and height for my coach. But I do look before entering and check canopy height and ability to enter and exit - I pull a car. I have started to use the app "Gasbuddy" that gives me all the prices of gas and diesel wherever I am traveling. I hate it when I stop at the first exit for gas only to find out that a half mile farther it's 20 cents less, filling 50-60 gallons it makes a difference. I always look for Costco which is usually the cheapest and has good access. Gasbuddy gives you Costco and Sams Club pricing with addresses. I am heading for a 2+ month trip to Alaska this summer and the app is good in Canada too, just need to figure out price per liter. I also agree with others, start looking when at half tank. Never pass up a gas station or bathroom!!
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #30
PMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Anyone traveling with an RV should have the “next exit” book. It lists all the gas stations off all the major interstate routes and they list whether or not they have diesel and if they are RV accessible. They also list stores off the exit. It’s a great tool, however, make sure you do not purchase the latest edition for they are missing some 20 odd pages,(I’ve read in reviews). May have been a printing problem, The 2016 is the best latest addition which I have.

And I do the same as others mentioned, I never pass an opportunity to refuel when it’s convenient and accessible.

Happy trails,

John
Next exit is great, 100% agree.

I’m running diesel and have an auxiliary tank so it’s a pretty big day if I have to stop for fuel hooked up but it’s happened. Nice to know hundreds of miles in advance where I’m stopping.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #31

50 gallon auxiliary tank = 0 stress
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #32

I use my GasBuddy app both for gas prices as well as using the app map to see how close the gas stations are to the freeway/highway along my route. Works for me!
Old_Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
X3. I use the Good Sam trip planner and you can display all pilot/flying J stations on your route. Then I lookup which ones have RV fueling lanes. Those are awesome.

Also, just upgraded my stock fuel tank to a 50 gallon Titan. Best money I ever spent. Just took a 1200 mile trip to Florida and only stopped twice for fuel.
Were interested in upgrading to larger diesel tank. Our 2016 F250 has 26gal. Can you please tell me costs to upgrade and did you do thru Ford?
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #34

The most important thing is to start keeping track of your mpg
so you know how far you can go. Don't trust the fuel gauge because
if your truck is low in the rear it might not show the correct amount
of fuel in your tank.
Be very careful when driving into a strong head wind, you can watch
the gas gauge go down.

I have a diesel but also have a Transfer Flow aux 50 gal fuel tank. About
700 miles I start looking for a station. When you go from state to state
there is sometime a major price difference. Large fuel tanks allow you
to get to your destination, unhook and then go get gas.

Its a big no - no to run out of gas with a rv because sometime there
is no room to pull to the side of the road. Think, out of gas on a 6 % grade.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Were interested in upgrading to larger diesel tank. Our 2016 F250 has 26gal. Can you please tell me costs to upgrade and did you do thru Ford?
I was in that boat for a while but the sticker shock helped me get over it. I was lusting for a Titan replacement tank, it’s 55 gal IIRC and a couple years back they were having a sale and free shipping. Checked it out to discover it would cost about $1700 if I installed it. As it is my bladder will fill before the diesel tank empties, so I have to stop anyway.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 PM   #36

you don't need a book they have an app for your I phone updated often no need for a book.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #37

Quote:
If you don't want to lose bed space look at a Titan replacement tank. Goes in the factory position. Removing the old tank isn't bad and epiccowlick on youtube and ford-trucks forum did a great video on installing. Here is the link to consider if you would like to do it. The tanks aren't cheap but you can get them on amazon. Use an amazon price tracker like camelcamelcamel.com because the price does change often, at least when I was looking. https://youtu.be/-cZggyKhBjg this was on my 2011 f250
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Check truck accessory stores and installers near you. I have a 50gal fuel & tool box combo unit in my truck. I had it installed about 12yr ago and don't recall the price. I have a long bed truck so I haven't missed the length, but I do LOVE the flexibility the 'extra' 50gal of fuel provides.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 PM   #39

Quote:
I got the RDS 51 gallon tank/toolbox combo to put in the bed of my '04 F250. With the install kit it was right at $900, and I installed it myself in about an hour and a half, with 5 minutes of help from the wife when I actually bolted it to the bed. They have larger ones and smaller ones, both with and without the toolbox. I actually get about 47 gallons into it, so I have a total of about 73 gallons of diesel when I get under way with both tanks full. If you are really handy, you can even add an electric auto-transfer pump instead of being cheap like me. I have to get out and open the valve when I want to use the fuel in the aux tank.

One nice thing about this model is that it is below the edge of the bed, so I won't have an issue later on if I upgrade to a 5th wheel.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
gothsqwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:33 AM   #40

Our rig is close to 60 feet long. We use most any truck stop. I have learned that if I go inside tell the cashier you are a "private pay" and tell them $125. They will let me fill up and only charge me what I actually filled. No hold amount on my card! But I use diesel, so I have no idea what to gas users do.
LeonDawn is offline   Reply With Quote