Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #1

Fuel stops

What are the best places for Fuel and easy access when you are on the road. Truck Stops? Large Retail Gas Station? Whats your preference?
mcwoods2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

It all depends on what you’re towing my unit is 60 feet long and I have a real hard time getting in at the gas stations, it’s not a diesel. I use flying J’s or the main truck stops for gas on the way to Florida. If it’s diesel any big truck stop will be fine

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #3

I try to use Pilot, Flying J, Loves, and T/A whenever possible. Some Walmarts/Sams are also "RV" friendly.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
I try to use Pilot, Flying J, Loves, and T/A whenever possible. Some Walmarts/Sams are also "RV" friendly.
+1

Assuming you're talking gas (not diesel).

Most "truck stops" can accommodate a larger/longer rig and are usually a good bet. I try not to let my fuel get too low so that I have options. If I pull off the road for a potential fuel stop, and it's no good, I just keep going.

A lot of Flying J/Pilot have "RV friendly" fuel lanes, but be careful with those because they'll put a fairly large "hold" on your credit card.

Waiting too long kind of bit me year before last. I kept "passing" on fuel stops for various reasons. Finally I had to stop and use my Gerry cans to fill my tank to get me to the next suitable fuel stop. I was SUPER glad I had those cans on that trip. Absolute worst case scenario, I could have dropped the trailer and filled the truck, but I would like to avoid that.

Sometimes I can get DW to actually look ahead on Google Maps satellite view to see if it's a place I want to stop. Otherwise I've had pretty good luck sticking to the larger "name" brand stations.

ETA: I've also been known to fuel up early if I run into a "convenient" place to fill up. Last year I drove us to Florida, and I tried to use Flying J/Pilot because I got a 5 cent discount. If I found one at anywhere less than 1/2 tank, I would usually stop. Driving a MH in summer, I didn't want to get much less than 1/2 tank because of running my generator to keep the house cool. When I was towing, I generally tried to stay above 1/4 tank at worst.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #5

X2 on everything said so far. My first priority is always Costco/Sams if there is one in my travel area. I use Gas Buddy app to locate stations and prices. Pilot/Flying J is usually my second choice with typically better pricing than Loves's, etc.

Happy Rving,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #6

We also use many of the "RV" friendly fuel stops previously mentioned. But we also try to plan most of our routes off the "beaten path", which often limits their availability. When our fuel level (diesel) reaches the "100 miles to go" mark, we begin a search for fuel along our route using google maps (android auto). By looking at fueling stations using the maps "satellite" view, it's fairly easy to tell which stations you can get in and out of without getting "stuck". After 30+ years of towing I like to have an entrance and exit plan at unfamiliar fueling stations, and satellite view gives you that long before you arrive. Have a plan "A" and "B", in the event the service islands are full, or are otherwise unavailable. I have put my truck and trailer in a lot of places that I might have otherwise passed by. Not for everyone, but works for us.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #7

Good point that deserves reiteration: Always have your exit (AT LEAST one) before you enter!

DW and I would drill this routinely. I would be pulling in somewhere and she would ask "and just how do you think you're getting out of here?", you know, with that snarky tone? Anyway, I always had/have an answer before I ever enter a fuel stop. Even if it was "well, you're going to go stand over there and "spot" for me while you block traffic so I can back out of here!"

It was easy when I was towing a trailer because I could almost always back out (at least partially) as a "Plan B" if I got stuck. But not always so with my motorhome if I've got the Toad with me. Not being able to back up presents all kinds of new challenges...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #8

I look for stations that aren't a "T" shape. What I mean is, often gas stations put their pumps in a row that is parallel to the convenience store. This is a huge problem for exiting the pumping area because the building prevents you from taking a wide turn out of the pump area. I try to find stations that have pull through lanes, typically Flying J RV lanes, or Sams club, where the kiosk is generally lined up with the middle row of pumps.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
We also use many of the "RV" friendly fuel stops previously mentioned. But we also try to plan most of our routes off the "beaten path", which often limits their availability. When our fuel level (diesel) reaches the "100 miles to go" mark, we begin a search for fuel along our route using google maps (android auto). By looking at fueling stations using the maps "satellite" view, it's fairly easy to tell which stations you can get in and out of without getting "stuck". After 30+ years of towing I like to have an entrance and exit plan at unfamiliar fueling stations, and satellite view gives you that long before you arrive. Have a plan "A" and "B", in the event the service islands are full, or are otherwise unavailable. I have put my truck and trailer in a lot of places that I might have otherwise passed by. Not for everyone, but works for us.
2x
I use truckers path for truck stop locations, you can research the number of lanes and fuel prices. Then we open maps and satelite or street view the locations so i know which way to enter and load the truck lanes, a little different if using car lanes but that is where street view comes in handy, you can quickly determine if you are going to have difficulty before committing into an area or drive way that is not going to be easy to move around in.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #10

Of course there are exceptions, but these days you can usually find fuel stops with plenty of room to maneuver, especially if you're traveling the Interstates.

We tow our 32-foot travel trailer and have very little trouble refueling even in small towns off the beaten path.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #11

Does Flying J/Pilot have gas pumps in the trucker lanes? I have never noticed them before. We prefer Costco because of price and easy in/out. DW usually needs something, so my fuel savings are immediately gone.
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #12

No they only have diesel, refer fuel and possibly DEF in the truck lanes. Some stations have rv filling lanes that have gas and diesel.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Flying J website allows you to search for RV fuel lanes at their locations. Very easy to use and is my go to stop when on the highway.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #14

I look specifically for FlyingJ/Pilot and fuel up diesel with the trucks. They are preferable because you can run your card at the pump versus having to go indoors and having the cashier run the card at Travel America or Loves.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #15

Just for clarification, the Pilot/FJ "RV Lanes" do have both types of fuel as a general rule correct??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Just for clarification, the Pilot/FJ "RV Lanes" do have both types of fuel as a general rule correct??
Yes.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
Of course there are exceptions, but these days you can usually find fuel stops with plenty of room to maneuver, especially if you're traveling the Interstates.

We tow our 32-foot travel trailer and have very little trouble refueling even in small towns off the beaten path.
Same with our 28BHBE. When pulling into a place to get gas, I start looking at it before I pull into it and am off the road, I plan my way in and at the same time am planning my way out. Never had any issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Flying J website allows you to search for RV fuel lanes at their locations. Very easy to use and is my go to stop when on the highway.
X2. If they have RV lanes, I can use my Flying J fuel card at the pump for gas or diesel.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
X2. If they have RV lanes, I can use my Flying J fuel card at the pump for gas or diesel.
X3. I use the Good Sam trip planner and you can display all pilot/flying J stations on your route. Then I lookup which ones have RV fueling lanes. Those are awesome.

Also, just upgraded my stock fuel tank to a 50 gallon Titan. Best money I ever spent. Just took a 1200 mile trip to Florida and only stopped twice for fuel.

Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #20

In addition to many of the previous suggestions, we also use the "Next Exit" book. It shows all of the services at the exits on the interstates and the gas stations that are RV friendly are listed in red.
We use this book quite a bit.