Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #1

Fueling truck with trailer attached

I am new to trailers. I have had motorhome. When traveling I would use a truck stop and pull in either truck to add fuel.

Now with a gas truck and 30 feet trailer attached where do I fill up at a station? Not sure there are gas pumps where the trucks fill up. The front of the stations for cars seem pretty small for a truck and trailer. What all do you guys do?
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #2

Mostly just plan your fuel stations. Google Maps Earth View makes it really easy to scope out which stations have a straight pull through, and which are going to make you do some crazy manoeuvres; check it out before you arrive. Pick the ones with the straight through access every time.

Usually (not always) the Flying J/ Pilot stations are pretty good for clearance at the regular pumps, and some will have a suggested trailer lane with better access.

Once you've done a route a couple of times, you'll get your favorites.

If you do get stuck, I've seen folks have to disconnect the TT and reposition the TV to get out of a bind. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened to me (yet)...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #3

I have a CFN card and fuel there most of the time. I have a diesel rig but they sell gas as well, otherwise I keep my eye open for easy stations and fill up often when in unfamiliar areas.

Always watch the tail end of your rig when swinging out and if you have to you take up as much space as you need.

Truck stops are usually easiest.

Last resort and in twenty years I have only had to do this once was unhook and fill up. Pain in the ass but you do what you have to do.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Mostly just plan your fuel stations. Google Maps Earth View makes it really easy to scope out which stations have a straight pull through, and which are going to make you do some crazy manoeuvres; check it out before you arrive. Pick the ones with the straight through access every time.

Usually (not always) the Flying J/Pilot stations are pretty good for clearance at the regular pumps, and some will have a suggested trailer lane with better access.

Once you've done a route a couple of times, you'll get your favorites.

If you do get stuck, I've seen folks have to disconnect the TT and reposition the TV to get out of a bind. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened to me (yet)...
^^^^ what he said... especially the Flying J/ Pilot fuel stops. Before Pilot bought them, Flying J usually had an RV island with both gas and diesel to the side, slightly apart from the car fuel islands.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #5

Google Earth can help. Pick stations where the pump lanes are parallel not perpendicular to the building.
In northern New England people haul trailers and there are no Flying J'sand no Loves nor Pilot nor TA.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 PM   #6

When towing with a gasser, one must plan ahead a bit more than with a diesel. Specifically, for the reasons stated above. Not all gasoline pumps have sufficient clearance for large and long vehicles in a towing scenario. But even the gasoline pumps at large truck stops like Pilot, Love's, Flying J, often have diesel pumps at the outboard edges, where they usually locate both diesel and gasoline pumps in high clearance outboard edges of their station's rows of pumps. There are some stations you simply won't be able to use, but the ones closer to interstates are more likely to have the room you need. You now have to think way ahead, and possibly do some research on your route so you aren't in a bad situation having pulled into a station you cannot get out of.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoint5r View Post
trade in the gasser for diesel. Yea really! I have a 5.7L 2012 Toyota Tacoma for sale 27K miles.
If you "really" have a 5.7L "Tacoma" for sale, I'm interested!!
Old 03-31-2017, 02:58 PM   #8

Another tactic we use is when staying for more than one night is fueling without the trailer attached..

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:50 PM   #9

It's also wise to carry a 5 gallon gas can with you just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #10

I have never had a major issue with getting fuel. I start looking, a little before the gage reads 1/4 tank.

My primary goal with a filling station, is my escape plan. I would rather loop around, wait for an outside pump to open, then just roll in and take any old pump.

If there are multiple stations in the area Ill look to see how to get in and back out. I will pay a few cents more, to be able to get back out without issues.

Your first station or two can be nerve-wracking, but you will get the feel of it.

If I'm driving I'm not using Google Earth.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #11

Many good comments,
I start looking for fuel at the 1/2 tank just in case which is about 3 hours of traveling, about time for a leg stretch/meal.
Many gas stations along the inter states are bigger because of the trucks, also if it is a smaller parking area, look at it, you might have to pick the outside pumps where you can maneuver, so you will only have the choice of two lanes. You might have to pass the station getting a visual on it and turnaround and come back to it.
Also watch you might not be able to circle the building......

better choice is nuclear propulsion, no need to fuel for years.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:49 PM   #12

With maybe a couple of exceptions, never had any problem getting fuel towing a trailer. Costcos are pretty good!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
If you "really" have a 5.7L "Tacoma" for sale, I'm interested!!
I ment to say Tundra but still for sale. Towing, Dbl cab, camera, 27K miles, red. I think pics are on Richmond Va Craig's list. PM me
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have never had a major issue with getting fuel. I start looking, a little before the gage reads 1/4 tank.

My primary goal with a filling station, is my escape plan. I would rather loop around, wait for an outside pump to open, then just roll in and take any old pump.

If there are multiple stations in the area Ill look to see how to get in and back out. I will pay a few cents more, to be able to get back out without issues.

Your first station or two can be nerve-wracking, but you will get the feel of it.

X2. As I start to pull in, I do so slowly and look over how I am going to get out. As above, I try to get the end pumps as well.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #15

I just picked up my camper from far away, I brought another person (a spotter) then they can help you to back up if a tight fuel station. Yea, soon you'll know where small areas are to fuel up. Another helpful thing 'd recommend, is practice lots backing up until you are comfortable, so you can get out of any pinch, even if you were to turn down the wrong road. Disconnecting is last resort, I wouldn't recommend....
Rooftop777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #16

The Allstays app claims to identify the Pilot/Flying J stations that have gas pumps in the truck lanes. Can anybody vouch for the accuracy of that? I would hope it's pretty good when the app costs $9.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
That's a well trained navigator's role. You know, the person occupying the right hand chair...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #18

I've never had any problems filling up either, but most of the stations were right beside the highway, and configured so that they're easy to get in and out of. But if I was in that situation where I might have a problem, I would see if I could drop the trailer in some remote corner of the station's lot, fill up, then hook back up and continue on. It may take a little while longer, but it might avoid serious problems.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #19

I use the Good Sam travel app to plan my trips, which shows Flying Js. Once I confirm that the Flying J has an RV lane, I will add it to the trip. Then, I fill in the fueling gaps by searching gas stations in an applicable city and looking for the easiest stations for fueling.
Parallel pumps are preferred. Second choice are outside lanes with availability to drive in and out either to the sides or around back of the station. As said previously, truck stops/travel centers tend to work best; but you need to look carefully at Google Maps (both above and street view) to confirm access in and out. I also call about a week ahead to make certain that the stations are still open. I make notes regarding the access as needed in the Good Sam travel app.
Think that is overkill? Well, for longer trips I print out the overhead maps to show access and any potential turning points along with the maps showing access to and from the roads. In addition to the targeted station, I typically choose a backup.
I put the information for the longer trip into a binder and provide to by navigator along with the trip itinerary and any brochures/coupons for the trip. Now, I was laughed at initially and thanked later, because stress tends to bring out the worst. Doing this helped take any stress out of fueling on the long trip.
2017 Jayco Jayflight BHBE
Initial Trip March 2016
TXCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
X2. As I start to pull in, I do so slowly and look over how I am going to get out. As above, I try to get the end pumps as well.
x3, I've never had any problems filling up my TT. Never had to disconnect.
Just be careful how you pull-in and pull-out and be choosey which pump lane you pick even if you have to wait in line.
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote