Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

Furion Observation System

Our 2018 Eagle HT MLOK 30.5 came mounted and wired for a Furion camera. I installed the observation camera which we'd previously used on our Alante.

What I'm getting is a backup camera that shows on the screen in my F350. I really can't find any need for a backup camera but I found the observation camera to be extremely valuable.

Wondering if anyone has run into this situation and knows a solution.
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #2

From what I have read there is no way to make the observation camera work on the OEM screen.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

How about the original 4" screen?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
From what I have read there is no way to make the observation camera work on the OEM screen.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #4

Furion Observation System

I use the Furion observation camera that came with my 30.5 MBOK all the time and it has worked flawlessly.

I bought my F-350 with the prewired trailer backup camera option, and expected to use it. But since it’s only for reverse, I decided it wasn’t worth the effort. I like having an awareness of what’s behind me when I’m driving, and the Furion does that well and is decent enough for backing up with also.

It would be nice to have the best of both worlds and have the observation camera on the Ford OEM screen, but there’s no way to make that happen. I did find the mounting bracket to be a pain for the Furion— had to mount it upside down for the antenna to point down and clear the windshield (and flip the image so it’s right side up). Then the sun melted the suction cup off. I have since purchased a Steelie vent mount from Amazon and just keep it on there with the magnet.
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
Our 2018 Eagle HT MLOK 30.5 came mounted and wired for a Furion camera. I installed the observation camera which we'd previously used on our Alante.

What I'm getting is a backup camera that shows on the screen in my F350. I really can't find any need for a backup camera but I found the observation camera to be extremely valuable.

Wondering if anyone has run into this situation and knows a solution.
What year is your F350?

You then asked about the original 4in screen - does your truck have that installed presently?
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
What year is your F350?

You then asked about the original 4in screen - does your truck have that installed presently?
2017 F350

The 4" screen came with the Furrion system and I mounted it on the dash. It has no relationship to the truck.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

Couple things...

There is no solution out there that functions as a full time observation camera, mounts on the trailer, integrates into the trucks camera system , and allows you to have a portable display. If that’s what you want stop looking, it doesn’t exist.

The first constraint is that any camera which integrates into the factory system, that mounts on the trailer will be a back-up only.

The second constraint is that there are no wireless cameras that integrate into the Ford system either.

Your best, cheapest solution is to continue using what you have now. You can wire the camera to always be on using the instructions that came with your unit. Since we have the same year and model, and I’ve already done this, I can tell you it’s easy. Remove the camera mount and fish out the orange wire. Move the red camera wire from the white trailer wire and connect it to the orange wire. Then, in the bedroom remove the light switch and fish out the orange wire and quick tap it to the power wire for the bedroom light. If you boondock you will probably want to install a switch to save power.

Good luck!
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #8

Exactly the solution I was looking for! Many thanks :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post
There is no solution out there that functions as a full time observation camera, mounts on the trailer, integrates into the trucks camera system , and allows you to have a portable display. If that’s what you want stop looking, it doesn’t exist.

The first constraint is that any camera which integrates into the factory system, that mounts on the trailer will be a back-up only.

The second constraint is that there are no wireless cameras that integrate into the Ford system either.

Your best, cheapest solution is to continue using what you have now. You can wire the camera to always be on using the instructions that came with your unit. Since we have the same year and model, and I’ve already done this, I can tell you it’s easy. Remove the camera mount and fish out the orange wire. Move the red camera wire from the white trailer wire and connect it to the orange wire. Then, in the bedroom remove the light switch and fish out the orange wire and quick tap it to the power wire for the bedroom light. If you boondock you will probably want to install a switch to save power.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #9

I use a wireless Furion and wired it to the center Running light. Turn on the parking light to power the camera and I plug in to the Cig Lighter for camera power in my 2500HD.
Shortfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfuse View Post
I use a wireless Furion and wired it to the center Running light. Turn on the parking light to power the camera and I plug in to the Cig Lighter for camera power in my 2500HD.
Thank you Shortfuse.. exactly what we're going to do..