Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #21

minus 10 for a high today My brother lives in Pella.
Me USNR PTV Neptunes sub chasers flight crew 1961 to 1968
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:16 PM   #22

I know a lot of people chimed in on this but I have been camping up in the mountains at a local ski resort. Last year I was to nervous driving in the snow and the cold weather for my first year ever owning a trailer but I have been up twice now and we love it!! So I spent the day wrapping all my plumbing, inspecting the covered under belly, and plugging gaps I found where cold air leaks under the lower bunk and at the head of the bed. You can really feel a cold draft because of the gaps. Trick is to put a bright light in the storage area under the bed or bunk then go in the trailer when it’s dark of course and look for light. I found a lot of holes and gaps from the running of wire or where the bed butts up to the front of the of the trailer. Heck under my lower bunk there is a 6x12” gap for access to the back of the outdoor kitchen fridge that I had to cover.

Anywho this lead me to look into the heat duct I heard I had because I have the Glacier Package on my WH 25BHS. Never really cared till now so I took apart the face of my furnace and some other panels to truck the duct work. What I found I have is one duct that just goes across the floor behind a panel to the bathroom. The of course the air that just blows real hard out the front. Lastly there is a 4” duct flex pipe that goes straight down into the floor the splits with one heading to the floor vent in the main bedroom and the one that heads back about 18” along some kind of liner that is over my black and grey tanks. This is the one that warms the seals under belly. I inspected the underbelly and it is sealed real good with insulation around the tanks and lots of spray foam filling any gaps. I did find on exposed spot that I had to fill where I could see to 1/4” plumbing pipes. Now all is covered. Since I’m only in the freezing temps for only 2 days at the most I feel comfortable filling the freshwater tank and heading up. Cross my fingers I hope all will be ok but it was a little of a pain not having water when cooking and using a five gallon bucket of water to use the bathroom. I’m also excited to take a warm shower after being on the mountain all day.

I think the thermal package is an upgrade to the wall and ceiling R-value only but not 100% sure. I do know people think the glacier and thermal package are one in the same but I don’t think they are tho from what I have read.

Anywho - have a happy new year!!
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #23

The 2017 23RB does not have ducted heat to the underbelly even with the Thermal package. The brochure mentions this. Earlier 23RB's may have had that because earlier brochures didn't mention any exclusion WRT ducted heat to the enclosed underbelly.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #24

Heard from Jayco

Service agent name redacted as a courtesy, but their response was

"You do have the thermal package on your unit, with that being said there will be warm air being moved within the underbelly and where the tanks are."
Old 01-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #25

Also heard from Jayco

Jayco replied to my question regarding how the heat is vented to the tanks on my model.......
"Per our production team There is a 1.5 inch hole in the duct above each grey, black and fresh water tanks. Hope this helps!"
I replied.......
"I appreciate the follow up.
You say a hole in the duct above each tank. The 26bh does not have any ducts through the floor. The only ducts are in the wall for the front bedroom and in the front of the sofa for the living area.
How does heat get to the tanks?"
I am still waiting for a response.
I will let you know if they respond.
Cheers
Peter Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #26

Thanks Peter.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #27

Can anyone make sense of this reply?..............

"There is no duct work in the flooring that is correct, but where the holes are above the tanks that’s where the heat is going to be dispersed from. The furnace will send the heat in the enclosed underbelly but then will travel down above the tanks through the hole to keep them warm."

They still haven't explained how the heat is sent to the enclosed underbelly.
I have asked once again for details on how the furnace delivers the heat to the tanks below.
If anyone can make sense of the latest reply, please do.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Soares View Post

"There is no duct work in the flooring that is correct, but where the holes are above the tanks that’s where the heat is going to be dispersed from. The furnace will send the heat in the enclosed underbelly but then will travel down above the tanks through the hole to keep them warm."

I have asked once again for details on how the furnace delivers the heat to the tanks below.
I think there are holes cut in the floor under the furnace and the furnace has holes cut just like where the ducts attach on the sides but no ducts to underneath. This way its just blowing heat down on the tanks, probably the best way to spread out the heat, no need for ductwork. As I first stated remove the mounting screws and look under the furnace to see if you have holes in the floor. Use a flashlight and lift it about an inch or so to see underneath.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Soares View Post

Strange explanation, is there a duct or hose coming off the furnace that goes down through the floor to the underbelly?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #30

If it wasn’t -7 windchill out I’d go take a look and see how my 2016 23RB is ducted into belly. Has to be a bottom discharge from furnace as stated before.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #31

Thanks everyone for the continued discourse.

The furnace documentation I've seen shows the option to use an opening in the floor as the means to get air from the furnace into the under floor duct work. I't a big square opening. As best I understand, this would be in lieu of any additional above-floor ducting. I used an endoscope the other day poking around and did not see any such opening under my furnace. I intend to take the front of the sofa off and loosen the furnace enough to get a hand underneath and confirm once and for all there is/not an opening.

From my Atwood PDF:

OPTIONAL INSTALLATION - BOTTOM DISCHARGE (FIG 4)
1. Remove bottom discharge cover plate. This ducting option must be connected to a ducting system. FIG 12 (parts breakdown) #40 - GASKET AND PLENUM PLATE KIT is available when attaching furnace.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Strange explanation, is there a duct or hose coming off the furnace that goes down through the floor to the underbelly?
no duct or hose. Doesn't appear to be any link under the floor. Haven't lifted the furnace to inspect, that will be a last resort. Jayco sent me the duct work schematics and that shows nothing either.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #33

Peter, I think they mean the holes would be where the air would *exit* maybe?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #34

Really not sure about any if this anymore. I asked Jayco because I was curious, and now I feel as if they are avoiding the question because............?
Really not a difficult question to answer.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #35

Duct Schematic

0057475_D_1_092215.pdf
Old 01-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #36

So, looks like your furnace setup similar to mine. Just two 4" flex hoses coming out of it to vents nearby, nothing at all to the underfloor area.

I assume all the "#4" on the diagram are AC vents.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
So, looks like your furnace setup similar to mine. Just two 4" flex hoses coming out of it to vents nearby, nothing at all to the underfloor area.

I assume all the "#4" on the diagram are AC vents.
That is correct.
Jayco keeps telling me the underbelly is heated but avoids answering the question "how does the furnace deliver the heat?"
Looks like I have to wait until this -20 degree weather is gone before I get my answer.
Now I am starting to feel ripped off.
Have owned Jayco trailers since 2003. This will probably be my last Jayco.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:41 AM   #38

Sounds like you’ll have to lift the furnace to see if bottom discharge is in use on these setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #39

Yea its just a hole cut onto your floor register Ducting from the bottom side into the cavity where the tanks are just about next to worthless
Mr. ZEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #40

We had the same issue with our 24FBS, only found out when our tanks froze up.
Below is a before and after - after took us safely down to -3F
The after put a duct right down between the fresh water tanks and included a flap to prevent air from flowing back into the coach and some mouse proof mesh.

1963 IH Scout
brained is offline   Reply With Quote