Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2023, 09:56 PM   #1

Furnace not working

I have a 2015 Jayflight 23RB and the furnace isn’t working. Worked great during hunting season but this past weekend it seems to light but go out right away. A few mins later it tries again but same thing. Sounds like it lites but goes right out. All other gas appliances working fine. There’s no real access from outside but the small exhaust so I assume I need to remove the sofa but then what?
DLudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:10 AM   #2

The symptoms you are describing sounds like it's possibly a sail switch which is a very commonly failed and inexpensive part. You will have to remove the furnace to replace it. They are usually just held in place by a few screws. You will likely need to remove the exhaust plate on the exterior as well. The wiring is pretty straight forward DC power and thermostat. Of course you will need to disconnect the gas supply line.

I cut my wires and put them back with Wago connectors to make it easer to remove / reinstall.

We camp with 2 German Shepherds (German Shedders) and despite all attempts our furnace does get some hair over time which will cause our sail switch to not work properly so I remove our furnace once a year for maintenence. It is a pain to do but necessary.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:46 AM   #3

Thanks! Do you know how I’d find the part number so I can order it before I remove the sofa and furnace or will I need to pull it apart to find the right part?
Old 06-01-2023, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLudlow View Post
Thanks! Do you know how I’d find the part number so I can order it before I remove the sofa and furnace or will I need to pull it apart to find the right part?
If you know the make and possibly serial number of your furnace you can identify the part number that way.

If you never had the furnace cleaned you may find the switch is just dirty or covered with dust and can't make contact. Its just a simple micro switch with a tail on it that gets closed when the blower starts giving the green light to the gas valve to open and then ignite. You may be able to just clean the one that's in there. They are an inexpensive part - I carry a spare in my parts bin just in case.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:10 AM   #5

If your furnace blower comes on and then the gas ignites the sail switch is not the problem. All the sail switch does is tell the control board that there is proper airflow and that it’s OK to open the gas valve.

If it shuts off after ignition then it’s possible there is an obstruction in the heating tube that causes the overheat sensor to shut everything off. Could be caused by mud dubber nest, or other debris in the heating pipe. You might try using some canned air to blow into the exhaust vent that will maybe remove a small obstruction.

Can you feel good airflow coming from the exhaust??
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:12 AM   #6

Thanks again. I’ll be adding it to my spares as well.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #7

I thought there was but I’ll check it again. Seems like I’ll be taking it out and cleaning it up a bit. This is our first camper and we’ve had it for a couple years and never done anything to the furnace so it sounds like it’s time for some maintenance
Old 06-01-2023, 12:43 PM   #8

Before you disconnect anything take lots of photos! Also look up furnace videos on YouTube, lots of helpful hints there. Good luck.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:11 PM   #9

Have someone start the furnace while you smell the exhaust vent for gas fumes. You don’t have to put your nose right in it. Does it try to light 3 times then shut down. Have you had a lot of rain lately or washed your camper? Should be a law against installing these furnaces without an outside access panel.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #10

Also, take a look at some of this fellow's videos.

https://myrvworks.com/

He has helped me a ton when it came to diagnosis and repairs in the past.

I just went through a furnace headache and his videos, plus the help of an awesome member on a sister RV site really made the job a ton easier!!!
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace troubleshooting