Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Furnace problem

I have a 2012 jayflight 32tsbh. Whenever I turn the propane on the furnace comes on and won't shut off. Doesn't matter if the thermostat is on or off or what the temp is set to. Any help would be great
rustysheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like it might be a thermostat problem. If you carefully remove the thermostat and then turn on the propane, you'd know if the thermostat was causing the problem.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #3

The thermostat runs the air fine so I didn't think it would be a thermostat problem. But I'll try the next time I'm in it
rustysheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
ODH

Different wires from the thermostat controls the furnace and the air. It sounds like you have a short in the system which is always applying 12v to the furnace relay. With a volt meter check to see if you have a constant 12v signal to the furnace while turning the thermostat heat on and off. If this is the case then you need to locate the short.
ODH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #5

Along the shorted circuit theory...

Check the connections at the furnace. Bare wires under screws are a short circuit waiting to happen! There should be 2 or 3 separate wires.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysheros View Post
I have a 2012 jayflight 32tsbh. Whenever I turn the propane on the furnace comes on and won't shut off. Doesn't matter if the thermostat is on or off or what the temp is set to. Any help would be great
Regardless of any problems in the thermostat, I can't figure out how turning the propane valve on causes the furnace to come on. Can some one explain how that can happen?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Regardless of any problems in the thermostat, I can't figure out how turning the propane valve on causes the furnace to come on. Can some one explain how that can happen?
I agree with you. I just don't see how that could be possible. Maybe in an alternate universe...
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

The furnace needs two things fuel and a signal calling for heat to turn on (the same circuit that is shorted. See, this universe.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #9

The OP stated that when he/she turns on the propane the furnace comes on. Now I've turned my propane off and on thousands of times on a dozen or more RVs and never once did the furnace come on when I turned on the valve.

Of course there needs to be propane at the furnace for it to operate but that's not what the OP said. I'm just trying to get some clarification as I don't see any connection between the tank valve and the furnace thermostat. Not in any universe.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #10

The control valve for the propane line to the burner has to see constant pressure from the supply tank before it will allow the valve to open, remain open, or continue to supply gas to the burner(s). If not, it likely won't allow the blower to start either. If you turn off the tank outlet valve, pressure eventually bleeds down, and the control valve shuts off. Turn it back on again, with the theoretical short circuit showing a demand to start, and it will start up again. That's why a short circuit will cause this, just as if you had turned on the thermostat and set the temp high enough to turn the system on.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #11

Makes sense. I think I'll give that a try sometime when I got nothing better to do. Right now it's about 90 outside so I doubt I could even get the heat to kick on. For now I'll take your word for it cause it seems logical. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
The control valve for the propane line to the burner has to see constant pressure from the supply tank before it will allow the valve to open, remain open, or continue to supply gas to the burner(s). If not, it likely won't allow the blower to start either. If you turn off the tank outlet valve, pressure eventually bleeds down, and the control valve shuts off. Turn it back on again, with the theoretical short circuit showing a demand to start, and it will start up again. That's why a short circuit will cause this, just as if you had turned on the thermostat and set the temp high enough to turn the system on.
The opening and closing of the gas valve is controlled by voltage from the circuit board, which actuates the solenoid. Whether there's gas pressure or not wouldn't affect the state of the valve. It would be opened or closed depending on the presence of a control voltage. And if the control circuit is working properly, the valve would only open if the fan is running, and the sail switch has been actuated for a specific period of time.

A lack of propane pressure wouldn't "tell" the furnace control circuit anything. The only way the furnace would "know" there was no propane would be a case where the ignitor was actuated, and no heat was sensed by the flame sensor.

And if the flame sensor hasn't proven a flame after the ignition cycle, the control circuit will shut off the gas valve, requiring a reset (off/on) before the furnace is able to operate again.

I still see no way that propane, flowing through an already opened gas valve (which shouldn't be the case in a non-running furnace) could cause the blower to engage and the ignitor to activate.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Well said SmokerBill. If there's no flame and even if the igniter is working the furnace has to be reset at the thermostat. The Atwood furnace are very safe and simple in operation.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
The opening and closing of the gas valve is controlled by voltage from the circuit board, which actuates the solenoid. Whether there's gas pressure or not wouldn't affect the state of the valve. It would be opened or closed depending on the presence of a control voltage. And if the control circuit is working properly, the valve would only open if the fan is running, and the sail switch has been actuated for a specific period of time.

A lack of propane pressure wouldn't "tell" the furnace control circuit anything. The only way the furnace would "know" there was no propane would be a case where the ignitor was actuated, and no heat was sensed by the flame sensor.

And if the flame sensor hasn't proven a flame after the ignition cycle, the control circuit will shut off the gas valve, requiring a reset (off/on) before the furnace is able to operate again.

I still see no way that propane, flowing through an already opened gas valve (which shouldn't be the case in a non-running furnace) could cause the blower to engage and the ignitor to activate.
OK. I understand all that. So, if that is supposed to work as you just outlined, then how is it possible the blower could start, and burner operate, simply by turning the gas pressure on? Especially if the system requires cycling power before the main gas valve will ever receive a command voltage to open again? Even if it is malfunctioning, this should not be possible unless there is some way the control "knows" there is either a presence or absence of propane.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #15

ghosts.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
ghosts.
Hahaha!!! Better get an exorcist.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
OK. I understand all that. So, if that is supposed to work as you just outlined, then how is it possible the blower could start, and burner operate, simply by turning the gas pressure on? Especially if the system requires cycling power before the main gas valve will ever receive a command voltage to open again? Even if it is malfunctioning, this should not be possible unless there is some way the control "knows" there is either a presence or absence of propane.
I don't know. The OP, rustysheros, has never returned. Maybe he should explain the problem in more detail.