Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

Furnace problems

I suppose I will end up really liking my new Jayco Jayflight 23rb, however, it arrived three weeks later than promised to me, missed my planned camping trip entirely. Oh well, things like that happen. I finally got to take it to the mountains camping, it got pretty cold so I needed to use the furnace. It worked for a few hours and then quit.I checked everything I should check and all was well except the furnace wouldn't work anymore. Next day went to the dealers and they worked on it for a few hours and finally said that they found a loose connection, fixed it and said good to go. I took it back home, plugged it in, turned on the furnace, furnace fired right up for about three minutes and then shut off. Back to the dealers the next day, they work several hours on it and finally said this is a brand new type of furnace that just came out and we don't even have parts for it yet. They kept the furnace there and supposedly ordered parts for it. It has been over a week and I haven't heard a word. So, even though it is warm now, let your furnace run on your new units for awhile and check them out good! It was cold on that mountain. I suppose I will end up liking this camper!
Racinforthefinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
snip... let your furnace run on your new units for awhile and check them out good! It was cold on that mountain. snip...
Good advice! Mine ran fine for a couple of minutes during the PDI, but I haven't run it for anything longer than that. It's now on my 'To Do' list before we head out.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:19 AM   #3

Update on new jayco jayflight 23rb furnace

Quote:
I suppose I will end up really liking my new Jayco Jayflight 23rb, however, it arrived three weeks later than promised to me, missed my planned camping trip entirely. Oh well, things like that happen. I finally got to take it to the mountains camping, it got pretty cold so I needed to use the furnace. It worked for a few hours and then quit.I checked everything I should check and all was well except the furnace wouldn't work anymore. Next day went to the dealers and they worked on it for a few hours and finally said that they found a loose connection, fixed it and said good to go. I took it back home, plugged it in, turned on the furnace, furnace fired right up for about three minutes and then shut off. Back to the dealers the next day, they work several hours on it and finally said this is a brand new type of furnace that just came out and we don't even have parts for it yet. They kept the furnace there and supposedly ordered parts for it. It has been over a week and I haven't heard a word. So, even though it is warm now, let your furnace run on your new units for awhile and check them out good! It was cold on that mountain. I suppose I will end up liking this camper!
I have been back to Greencastle RV three times to resolve this issue. Yesterday they said it was fixed and they had installed two new switches in this new furnace. I took it it home, plugged it in, furnace ran three seconds and quit again. No, I really don't need heat right now but with only three hours of use on a new unit I think it should be fixed.
The bad part is the air conditioner and the furnace run off the same switch so I don't have air either. Anyone else had this problem? It is the new type Atwood furnace.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:16 AM   #4

What do you mean by "the air conditioner and the furnace run off the same switch"? From my understanding, the only thing the AC and furnace share is the thermostat. AC is 110 volt and furnace is 12 volt. Your AC should run just fine, unless your thermostat is messed up. If so, go buy a new one at Lowe's/Home Depot. Any heat & cool thermostat will work, you just won't be able do hi/low fan settings.
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
What do you mean by "the air conditioner and the furnace run off the same switch"? From my understanding, the only thing the AC and furnace share is the thermostat. AC is 110 volt and furnace is 12 volt. Your AC should run just fine, unless your thermostat is messed up. If so, go buy a new one at Lowe's/Home Depot. Any heat & cool thermostat will work, you just won't be able do hi/low fan settings.
There is a reset switch on the furnace. When the furnace kicks off it breaks the switch. The thermostat has been replaced twice. Nothing has worked so far in three trips to the dealer.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #6

How does that switch have anything to do with the air conditioner?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
How does that switch have anything to do with the air conditioner?
All I know is when the furnace shuts off the air conditioner does too. The tech at Keystone RV plugged the propane line and reset it at the furnace then he went back to the thermostat and turned the air on. Again, this is a brand new unit. The tech has spent much time on the phone with Atwood. They recommended two switches which they sent and has not helped. It goes back to them tomorrow for the fourth time. They do a reset in the wiring, I am not sure if it is a true switch. Not good getting only three hours of use from a new unit!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #8

Why would the furnace and the A/C be on at the same time?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #9

I had had this exact problem. The furnace powers the thermostat which is required to send the low voltage to tell the ac to come on. It's the same as a central air system at home. if you had no power to your furnace and tried to turn on your ac your condenser outside would not come on. The reason why mine kept tripping was there was too much heat getting into the cabinet where the furnace is. when the service man pulled the furnace out he found an open duct take off that was just taped with foil tape and it had blown open. so it was blowing hot air right into the cabinet. He re-taped it because that's all he had and everything worked great until this past weekend. it was cold and we were running the furnace about 3/4 of the time. sure enough by day 3 it quit. I checked the furnace and the tape blew open again. needless to say they are coming back to screw and tape a piece of sheet metal over the opening. The point is, open up your cabinet where the furnace is and check the air flow. My furnace has 4 take-offs. There was a 5th one that Jayco punched out and did not use so they just taped it. furnace is a 35,000 btu Atwood. these things run hot and being in a tight cabinet does not help either. They do have a thermal sensor as well that is why you will hear the burner cut in and out occasionally when running to prevent it from kicking the limit switch (different switch)
Old 05-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #10

Good to know about the 12v from furnace to t-stat to AC. I will be checking that on mine. Doesn't sound like a good way to wire it. 12v needs to go to both separately if you ask me...
Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 AM   #11

We had a similar problem with a 2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5 RETS. Went in to the dealer and stayed a week at a time a couple times while they ran furnace. They replaced thermostat twice and thought they had it fixed. Still ran and shut off. Had to try to manually force restart. On the third trip in to the dealer for a week, it finally shut off on them and they had to pull furnace out of unit to be able to see error codes. It was the ceramic igniter that had a crack in it. Sometimes would fire and run and sometimes would shut off. Replaced that and had no more problems. You might mention that igniter to your service tech. My furnace is hell to get out as a hole had to be cut in the basement wall. Jayco installed it with no outside access.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
We had a similar problem with a 2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5 RETS. Went in to the dealer and stayed a week at a time a couple times while they ran furnace. They replaced thermostat twice and thought they had it fixed. Still ran and shut off. Had to try to manually force restart. On the third trip in to the dealer for a week, it finally shut off on them and they had to pull furnace out of unit to be ablei to see error codes. It was the ceramic igniter that had a crack in it. Sometimes would fire and run and sometimes would shut off. Replaced that and had no more problems. You might mention that igniter to your service tech. My furnace is hell to get out as a hole had to be cut in the basement wall. Jayco installed it with no outside access.
This would be more applicable to a furnace that is trying to light but won't and eventually shut down. Sequence should be 1. Thermostat calls for heat. 2. Ventor motor and fan start. 3. Electronic ignition lights pilot.

The original post was a no power which is the breaker switch on the furnace is kicked due to something ie: over heating
ecoboosteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboosteagle View Post
This would be more applicable to a furnace that is trying to light but won't and eventually shut down. Sequence should be 1. Thermostat calls for heat. 2. Ventor motor and fan start. 3. Electronic ignition lights pilot.

The original post was a no power which is the breaker switch on the furnace is kicked due to something ie: over heating
My RV is back at the dealer for the 4th time. They THINK the blower motor may have a flat spot on it causing these problems. Atwood is sending them a new motor and it should be here in a few days. I really hope this solves the problem and I can actually go camping in a new unit.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #14

UPDATE!
Not really, My RV has been setting at Keystone RV Center for over two weeks. I call almost daily, todays conversation was we were too busy today and our internet was out for much of the day. I promise to get it in tomorrow and install the blower mower and let it run awhile to see if that fixes it. I think I will like this RV but in over three months I got to use it three days. Very expensive camping so far, Oh well, we will see what tomorrow brings.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #15

Quote:
UPDATE!
Not really, My RV has been setting at Keystone RV Center for over two weeks. I call almost daily, todays conversation was we were too busy today and our internet was out for much of the day. I promise to get it in tomorrow and install the blower mower and let it run awhile to see if that fixes it. I think I will like this RV but in over three months I got to use it three days. Very expensive camping so far, Oh well, we will see what tomorrow brings.
What tomorrow brings!
I am glad I am the only one that has had this problem with an Atwood furnace because I have had enough problems for everyone.
I get the call today the new furnace motor arrived from Atwood. It was installed and sounded like an old worn out motor with the bearings shot! Now the fun part, they will send another new motor, remember it took two weeks last time!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #16

Racinforthefinish

At the rate your going you better get ready to do some winter camping

Why not suggest a COMPLETE new furnace for it seams like they are replacing it part by part.

Tell Keystone RV "Excuses only satisfy those that give them"
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #17

I agree. At this point, I would demand a new furnace! You have given them enough time to fix the original one. It would probably save them money anyways. All the hours trying to fix the original will probably cost them more than dropping in a new one. Sorry for your troubles...

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #18

Thanks everyone for the replies, I have asked for a new furnace to no avail! They insist on going piece by piece until they find the problem. There is no guarantee it is the motor, just another piece to try.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #19

I hope this is a final update. I got my RV back today with a new furnace motor. They say it is fixed but time will tell. They have had this new RV a lot more than I have had it. I think I will go camping this weekend and check it out.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
I hope this is a final update. I got my RV back today with a new furnace motor. They say it is fixed but time will tell. They have had this new RV a lot more than I have had it. I think I will go camping this weekend and check it out.
Did you ask them to make a few payments while they had it? LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote