Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Further Proof...

...that the people who design and build trailers, don't necessarily use them.

I have a 2017, 26BH, and I keep all my hitch and setup stuff in the forward, driver side storage area. It's handy, except when it's raining. The approximately 4" drain spout at the forward corner of my trailer creates a stream of water right in front of the access door for the storage area. I wear my rain suit with a hood, so I don't mind the water, but when I open the door, the water streams onto the door, and as the door is raised, the water cascades onto the hinge and into the storage area. If you latch the door in the up position, it's a mess.

Anyone have a good cure for this design flaw? I can imagine about a 12" piece of hose jammed on the spout so the water will flow further away from the trailer, but it couldn't be on there all the time. I could put it on there just when I need it, but I can't reach it.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #2

How about a long pool 'noodle'? I haven't tried it, but it might do the trick.

(Different trailer. Same water issue.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

I have the same problem on my 32BHDS. I haven't figured anything out either. I live in Phoenix, AZ, so it's not a huge issue for me, but it still bothers me every time I have to deal with that. I have heard that people will put cloth pins on them to extend them out - the water will drip off the cloth pin. I don't know how that works with a bunch of water though and my guess is they will fly off as you drive.

What I have done - specifically for the hitch - is mount a 2" receiver on the tongue of the trailer just under the battery tray/propane tanks. It is a bolt on one. I lock my hitch in that and just leave it out in the elements. It gives me a bunch more space in the storage area that used to hold the hitch components. We don't get a lot of rain, so I don't have to deal with rust really - I do lube the ball though before use.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #4

Those are some interesting ideas.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:59 AM   #5

Drives me crazy too. It's not just when it rains though. Condensation from the forward/rear AC(s) when running will do the same thing on 3 of my 4 storage compartments. I actually thought about going the other direction and drilling 2-3 1/2 holes in the gutter to relieve all but the heaviest of rain falls.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #6

My neighbor at my winter spot has attached a length of clear vinyl tubing to the end of his gutter. He stuck a landscape spike in the ground and zip-tied the bottom end of the tubing to it - to keep it from spraying all over in the wind. Just keep in mind that mold & mildew will grow inside the tubing, so use a funnel and dump some bleach inside it every once in a while. Otherwise it well get pretty nasty looking!

I generally raise the front of my trailer ever-so-slightly above level . . . so the edge of the bubble just touches the high-side mark on my level. It's not enough to affect the refrigerator, and you don't notice it from inside the trailer, but (since water runs down hill) any rain water or A.C. condensation runs off the back gutters instead of the front ones. Also helps keep water from puddling on the slide-out roof.

Sometimes, the simple solution is the best!
Old 10-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #7

When it rains I tilt the front of the trailer up about an 1"-1 1/2 and let it drain off the rear gutters. Doesn't rain every day and you don't even notice that 1"+ tilt.