Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

FW overflow problem

Hi! New to the Forum, just bought a salvaged 1986 Jay Eagle that we spiffed up to be in great condition, but we are having a bit of a problem with the FW holding tank. Sanitized and filled the tank through the gravity feed inlet, pump woked just as it should, water out all the faucets, shut off after faucets closed. After draining, thought I'd try the city inlet connection and hooked up my hose accordingly. Water immediately started coming out one of the overflow tubes located interior to the rear wheels. Then tried to fill through gravity feed again. As soon as I turned the water pump on, water again started shooting out one of the overflow tubes, even after all air bled out of lines. Pump never shuts off due to the water flow. Tried shooting compressed air into the tubes thinking maybe a valve was stuck or vacuum occurred, no change. Is my only remedy to put shut-off valves or plugs into the tubes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated--we have camping reservations coming up!
jsgrunst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #2

Are you running your water pump when using the city water connection. If so, shut the pump off.
jonitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

Nope, partially filled holding tank, no city water connection, and as soon as pump is turned on to fill lines and water heater water starts pumping out overflow tube.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

This makes no sense. There is no connection between the pressurized part of the water system and the overflow tubes. Are you sure you are not confusing this with low point drains?

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #5

I just assumed they were the overflow tubes, but could be mistaken. They are 2 plastic tubes about 3/8" inside diameter that are located just to the inside of the "passenger" side wheels.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #6

jsgrunst, first of all, welcome to the JOF and congrats on your new TT. Secondly, since I'm not at all familiar with your specific TT and I'm not a mechanic by any means, I can only offer my opinion on your current dilemma. It sounds like those are not overflow tubes coming from your fresh water tank, but rather they are the low point drains. On my 2013 X19H, there is a sticker on the OUTSIDE of the TT that says "Low Point Drain" and just underneath that is a quarter-turn valve that turns and begins draining the tank. INSIDE my TT, however, located under the bench seat for my kitchen table, are 2, approximately 1/2" tubes with quarter turn valves, that turn 90 degrees and then pull up, which drains the tank and plumbing system completely. Again, if I had to guess, seeing as how you just bought this TT, (Not sure where you live climate-wise) I would guess the previous owner had the low point drains inside the coach opened for winterization purposes. If that's the case, then push them down and turn them and you should have the problem solved. If I'm right, they will be located inside the TT exactly opposite where the outside valve is located. Good luck, and Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #7

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice. I do recall a valve also under our dining table seating and did mess with that a bit, but was unaware it may have been a quarter turn valve. I will give that a shot when I get home tonight. We bought this TT from an online salvage auction, I think the previous owner was a fellow Minnesotan. As I mentioned, the system seemed to work perfectly after the first fill of the FW tank. It was only after connecting to the pressurized city water connection that this problem arose. Thanks again and wish me luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #8

jsgrunst, if you believe the previous owner was "A fellow Minnesotan," I would leave it "winterized" until August, when the snow finally melts and the temperature outside soars to 33!! In all seriousness, though, I think what you call overflow tubes are really low point drains, and the valve(s) you found under the dining room seat are your problem. Quarter turn and push down (at least that's how it is on mine). This should fix the problem. You will probably need to run the water from all of the faucets again to purge the air from the lines. The pump runs until it builds up to 45psi and then it shuts off--if it runs continuously without shutting off, you are losing water somewhere and the pump can't reach 45psi. That, to me, indicates the low point drains are open. Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

Sounds like the water leaking is coming out of the low point drains. Look in a cabinet just above the" leaking water" and you should find the valves to close the low point drains.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote