Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #1

Question G2 32bhds

Hello all, I just joined and would like your suggestions as well as all Pros and Cons of the above mentioned model. We have a 2003 27BH ( bought last summer used) and are selling it to go larger. I have looked at Keystone, Cherokee and Coachman similar floorplans as well and have decided to go with the Jayco because of the Jayco reputation, 2 year warranty and our experience with our current model . I will be towing with my 2004 Ford Excursion Limited V-10 gasoline engine with 3.73 gears. there are 6 of us, 2 adults and 4 children ( 13,12,10 and 3). It looks like we will be purchasing almost all the options, bike rack, 15k ac, enclosed underbelly, hide a bed, roof ladder and spare tire as well as the front diamond plate. I welcome all comments on the TT and the TV. Thank you, Joe
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #2

Hi Joe and welcome to the Jayco Forum!

We checked out the G2 32bhds. Very nice with the bunks and loft. We went with the 29' mainly because we didn't want to go much longer than that.

There were a few things other things that put us into the 29bhs over the 32' but probably the main thiing was the available storage weight. We travel longer distance for several weeks at a time, so we needed more stowage allowance. So probably also good to consider, the 32bhds lists that it is 7800lbs dry and Gross is 8750lbs. That's only 950lbs for "stuff". Will you be "boondocking"? If you are towing the tt with a full tank of water (for boondocking), there goes much of your available storage weight. No matter, and for piece of mind on your first trip, you may want to weigh things as they go into your tt.

The plus about the tt you are looking at is that it can sleep 10 (ours only sleeps 7). the 32bhs also has more room to seat people around the table to eat!!

The tongue weight will more than likely wind up being a little over 1000lbs on the 32' once you add items to the front of your trailer and fill the propane, etc. so make sure that you go with a WDH for 1200lbs or more.

You mention your Excursion.... I could be wrong but it looks like that can tow 11,000lbs? Once you add all the weight to your Excursion (full tank of gas, passengers, and stuff), that will take away some of what you can tow so that 11k will go down a bit. But it looks like you will have what you willl need to tow even up to the gross tt weight of 8750. Figure out the GCVWR of the Excursion and tt. If you are within those limits, the G2 32bhs might be a great fit for you

Happy shopping and even happier camping!!!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. So far these last 2 years we have not boondocked. We have gone to full service campgrounds. I would prefer a lighter trailer with the same setup, but can not find one. I wonder if I will need to modify my Excursion? Happy Camping!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
Thanks for the input. So far these last 2 years we have not boondocked. We have gone to full service campgrounds. I would prefer a lighter trailer with the same setup, but can not find one. I wonder if I will need to modify my Excursion? Happy Camping!!!

How much will your actual model of the Excursion be able to tow?

We checked out the Keystone Passport 290bh which has a double bunk in the rear.... but when we personally walked through it, we saw there was clearly a discrepency in materials used and options available between that and any G2 Jayco Jayflight. With much research online we found that Keystone didn't have a good reputation as we found many complaints with leaking and other issues. Especially scary was that the company didn't back up customers; often, the customers complaints went unoticed. It did have a much higher stowage capacity though.

We actually walked through a number of "bunkhouse" models (we attended an RV show in Southern California last year). One we found comprable to the Jayco went out of business in early '09, so we ultimately chose the Jayco when we were ready to buy this summer.

Where will you purchase your Jayco? I suggest that you contact one of the dealers that advertise on Ebay, then email to ask them what it would cost to order your prefered Jayco with the options that you would want. There are a couple of places that have internet business that offer about that same price (thousands lower than your typical dealer down the street). They will probably be too far away from you, but the idea is that you can take that quoted price then and present it to your local dealer and negotiate from there. This may save you some additional $$$ while allowing you still to purchase locally.

One contact that I used to receive written quotes from... then took to my local dealer was:
gillettesinterstaterv.com

There are two others but their names escape me at the moment and I don't have time to look back into my emails right now. But they offered close to the above regarding final price. Anyhow, shop around online and come up with an offer to take to your local dealer
Old 11-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #5

awwwww, remembered another one...

rvdirect.com

(request a price based on your prefered options)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #6

Smile

I checked the towing capacity with Trailormanor and it said 9600lbs. I have been shoping around. Gillettes rv on ebay has been helpful, they did give me a price that was $21,000.00 . I bought my present TT at Albany RV, which RV Direct said was their closest seller. They have priced me around $22,500.00 . The unit I saw in person at another place had the weight as shipped listed at 8025lbs.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #7

Wow... not sure, but that price seems still pretty steep What region of the country are you from?

Sounds like you will be closed to maxed out with your tow vehicle weights. Could be a concern to you and others on the road if you go beyond the GCWR. You don't "boondock" so you can save a lot of weight in transit.

Just curious, will you do local camping, or do plan to do long distance cross country travel to include mountain passes?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #8

Smile

The MSRP is $31,000.00 . What do think I should expect to pay? I am in NY state. I plan on local 250 mile trips at the max for now. I may plan a trip to Florida in the upcoming years. I have spoke to a few Excursion owners and they have similar TT's, one guy has the same TT and TV as me.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

We had the luxury of being retired and picking up our tt from the least expensive source. We saved about $5000 picking up the trailer down the street from the factory in Middlebury and it cost us about $1300 to travel back East to pick it up (gas, camping, food, entertainment).

Our 29bhs Gs Jay Flight cost us $16,900 with all options short of the grill and foil siding. The least expensive local to us (within the Southwest) would have been $21,900 (plus taxes/fees/etc). Keep in mind the MSRP anywhere for that same rv would have been $24,472. We used the $16,9 as a negotiating point. We bought through a Calif dealer at the negotiated price as long as we could take delivery in Indiana. We have the ability of being able to use our “local” dealer for warranty issues, which through horror stories online, I can say is a plus.

As for best price…. Some use different ways to figure it…
1) Go to NADA.com figure out what the unit will cost if you sold it tomorrow *used*. If the dealer can come within the “high book” range for a new rv, than you are doing well.
2) –Comparison- if with a new car, if you can buy it at 21% + off MSRP (which is below dealer invoice!) this would be the same as if you bought the new car for the current “private party” high book. You would be getting the best opportunity.
-RV if you can buy the new rv at 30% + off MSRP you are doing well….. Basically if you could sell that same unit for ‘high book’ –private party- “tomorrow” (not including fees or taxes).

As for how to figure the above percentage…… Take the MSRP (for us it was $24,472), subtract what you pay and for us this was $16,900 (this does not include the taxes/fees). For us this is $7,572. Then divide the difference you will pay from the MSRP. Ie: 7,572 divided by 24,472 = 31%.

Anyhow, hopes this helps…… Hmmmm this looks like it could actually be its own “thread”… how to buy an rv and save $$$ !!!!

BTW the closer to Indiana that you can purchase your Jayco, the less it may cost due to astronomical fees for transportation!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #10

oh, and if anything, call Ford and verify what the tow max is for your year and option Excursion. It's probably best not to trust others who own an Excursion (my son-in-law told me he thought his max was 6,500... when he researched it found it was 9,000lbs!)