Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #1

gas alarm going off in the middle of the night

Has anyone had an issue with there gas alarm going off in the middle of the night for no reason...Had it into the dealer, no gas leaks and they replaced the sensor and it is still doing it even with the gas turned off....Seems to only do it when A/C is runnig in the wee hours of the morning... Driving us crazy...

jacketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

Are you sure it is the gas alarm and not the CO2 alarm? Also what makes you sure it is a false alarm?

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Team

I am assuming you refer to the co2/propane detector;

Yes, It usually means you will be buying one soon. Seriously, a dog or a human emits gas that will set it off. Other things like hair spray have been known to set them off.

Most of them have a disclaimer on the inside that says "Replace after 5 years." But if they fail I know of no warranty.

You can buy them on ebay at a pretty reasonable price, or Twittys..(Don't want to get any ones feathers ruffled)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

Yes it is the gas alarm....Smell no gas and dealer says no leaks......I have a dual sensor... And it is the gas alarm that goes off....
Old 07-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Team

If your rig is new or in warranty your dealer may help you out. If not, it is not an expensive or difficult item to replace.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #6

It is just weird that it only does it when the a/c is on.......It sits at home with it hooked up to electric and the gas on and it never goes off....
Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

Two things that come to mind. 1. Vibration.. The A/C is making something vibrate within the alarm unit setting it off. 2. Electrical.. The A/C is pulling alot of power and there is a drop at the alarm system causing a malfunction.. As Norty posted, they are pretty cheap to replace (unless your TT is under warranty).

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #8

At my walk through yesterday, I was told that if the gas alarm goes off I should first check the battery voltage. If there is enough of a drop the alarm will chirp. Maybe the ac is dropping it enough for that to happen.

Dave
malibuskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

The voltage drop is what made my detector do exactly as your.

I put a regular battery charger on the batts for 24 hrs. and it never chirped again.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #10

2012 Jayco Skylark false alarms

If buying a new one, search well -- there is a huge spread in internet sellers' pricing. Recently had to replace my dual alarm due to false, random gas alerts. 2012 Jayco SKYLARK but my original installed alarm was coded 2010. My model's price range on the internet varied from $67 to well over $125. Models now have some sort of government mandated 5-year electronic disabler that arms when first power is introduced to the alarm.

yrralrellim is offline   Reply With Quote