Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
DMB

Gas Hot water heater and Gas furnance won't ignite

Have a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26bh. The problem is neither my gas hot water heater or furnance will ignite. I have installed most of the parts on the hot water heater and it still won't light up. Then was told to try my gas furnance to see if that works, That now doesn't work. Checked battery and that is fully charged. Check battery cables for continuty and they check out. All fuses are ok. So what can it be and where do I go from here. I am on a seasonal campsite to far to haul back to a rv repair shop
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #2

Does your cooker light?
That will at least tell you if you have propane flowing.

If they're electric ignition, can you hear the igniter clicking?

It may also be that, if you've been working on it, or just had it unhoooked, you may just have to wait a long time to flush the air out of the lines... I've occasionally had to wait 15 minutes, after leaving the gas disconnected for a few months

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
DMB

Hotwater heater and furnance

Yes stove works but no clicking sound. I read that possibly the gas regulator made be going bad. It said that may not have enough pressure to push gas through to the hotwater heater and furnance but the stove will still light. Have you ever heard of this.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:25 AM   #4

I had an issue a ways back about my heater not lighting. Put my hand over the exhaust when it was trying to light and it worked. Something about an air pocket or something. look into this
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #5

It's a gas issue. Possibly a bad regulator. How do you light the stove if you cannot hear clicking of the igniter?

If dealer is to far away call a mobile repair tech in your area. you will have to pay either way. Google "RV mobile repair near me."

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #6

Close your gas valve at the tank and wait 5 minutes. Then s l o w l y open the valve again. You may have triggered the excess flow safety in the regulator.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #7

To hasten lighting my fridge, WH, and furnace after everything being turned off for a while I always have the stove burner turned on then go to light the other appliances. It seems to draw propane into the system faster and gets rid of some of the air in the lines.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #8

There are lots of possibilities. You have done all the things I would start with.

To me it sounds like a 12V control control power. Are the two units close to each other? Being your having issues with two devices, Have you actually checked the voltage at the WH and Furnace? I am thinking a bad ground wire tap screw into the TT frame. You can easily make a temporary ground to confirm.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
DMB

converter charger

I think it might be the coverter charger. I am going back thsi Thursady to the campsite, Do you or anyone know how to test it.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I think it might be the coverter charger. I am going back thsi Thursady to the campsite, Do you or anyone know how to test it.
Simply put a voltmeter across the battery while plugged in. If it is mid 13s on up, the charger is working. If it is the 12s it probably isn't working. But, if the battery reads mid 12s your furnace and water heater should still function.

Big question - when activating your furnace does the blower motor come on? It is suppose to come on before it will allow the gas to flow and ignite. Failure of the blower motor to even come on could lead you to a loss of power to these items.

Since you have 2 non-related items that aren't working you have to think about what is common between the two. First off 12 volt power AND a good ground at each. If they share either feed, that would be something to look at.

The next is propane. Before I would look into the propane side you need to tell us if the furnace blower comes on. There is no blower for the water heater.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:26 AM   #11

10.5 volts is the minimum voltage for proper operation. Check the voltage at the appliance not the battery due to voltage drop in the wiring. As mentioned, grounding can be a culprit.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:36 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
It's a gas issue. Possibly a bad regulator. How do you light the stove if you cannot hear clicking of the igniter?
The stove ignitor on most rv's in a manual Piezio arrangement that is a knob that is twisted as many grill ignitors. No electricity involved.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:43 AM   #13

Not all stoves have an igniter, you will need a lighter or match.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The stove ignitor on most rv's in a manual Piezio arrangement that is a knob that is twisted as many grill ignitors. No electricity involved.
Yes, I understand that. Mine does not have an igniter. OP said stove works but no clicking sound, Just trying to get all the possible information.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #15
DMB

Ok, this is weird, Went to campground did more checking on why the water heater and furnace are not working. I left the switch for the hot water on. Remember it is Gas only. Left the furnace blower on. Getting ready to go home and remembered I did not shut every thing off so went back inside and for some reason everything was working. I shut the furnace fan off and the hot water heater went off by it' self. Any ides why this happen. I think I have a electrical problem not a propane regulator problem. Check propane pressure and that is find.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #16

I’m with you on this one...
Open very very slowly...
ex9501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #17

This sounds like a ground issue, check the connection where the battery cable grounds to the frame and where the converter grounds to the frame. Depending where the converter is located the ground may be well under the RV.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:06 AM   #18

Ground check is a good start, find it, clean it and shmear w/ anti-corrosive electric grease. Should also work that into your Spring prep treatment as routine maintenance for dependability. Camping is much more relaxing when you aren't spending your time fixing wonky comfort gizmos, that's what homes are for! May also have been air in the lines. Had the tank been changed lately or sitting a long time with them off? As previously mentioned; I've also had to wait several minutes for it to purge enough, then try again after they timed out once or twice.

Also, read into the tank flow safety shut-offs required within the last 20 years or so. It's good info to keep in the back of your mind. DW used to turn off the propane tank on our home grill before turning the burners off thinking it would purge the lines for safety, which it did. Trouble was when we'd try to start it days later; there was no back pressure in the lines, which it sensed as a leak and stopped the flow. After going on for too long, and reading up, we closed the valves, cracked the tank open for a moment, then opened slowly to re-pressurize the lines, which resets the safety valve and have had no problems since.Beats cranking on the tank bleeder valve every time
Old 06-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Ok, this is weird, Went to campground did more checking on why the water heater and furnace are not working. I left the switch for the hot water on. Remember it is Gas only. Left the furnace blower on. Getting ready to go home and remembered I did not shut every thing off so went back inside and for some reason everything was working. I shut the furnace fan off and the hot water heater went off by it' self. Any ides why this happen. I think I have a electrical problem not a propane regulator problem. Check propane pressure and that is find.
Where you fully connect to the TV, when you went back and checked on things? If yes, it still sounds like a ground or power connection. Its working because of a new routing to the TV.

If everything else is working, I doubt it has anything directly to do with the on board battery or converter. I would still check the battery ground at the tt frame. I really like putting a star washer between the frame and wire crimp for a good bit into the metal.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote